The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Starting, then stopping, the windup.

NFHS rules.

Nobody on, pitcher in the windup position. He starts the windup, stops and resets. Is this legal? I think it is in OBR, but what about NFHS? If it is not legal, is it an illegal pitch, dead ball, and a ball awarded?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref
NFHS rules.

Nobody on, pitcher in the windup position. He starts the windup, stops and resets. Is this legal? I think it is in OBR, but what about NFHS? If it is not legal, is it an illegal pitch, dead ball, and a ball awarded?

It is NOT legal in NFHS (see 6-1-2).

Penalty -- The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. A ball is awarded the batter (with no one on)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

yep, like he said, ball with nobody on.

OBR- it is nothing.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Only in NFHS... seems they like to award the offense for just about anything the pitcher does no matter a runner on or not. Their reasoning, if it's illegal with a runner on, it should be with no runners on. Regardless of an advantage gained or not.....so... illegal... ball to batter, balk if runners on
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Only in NFHS... seems they like to award the offense for just about anything the pitcher does no matter a runner on or not. Their reasoning, if it's illegal with a runner on, it should be with no runners on. Regardless of an advantage gained or not.....so... illegal... ball to batter, balk if runners on
But in their infinite wisdom, they allow the pitcher to go to his mouth while in contact with the rubber... they are geniuses at FED HQ, you gotta admit.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Deal With it

Quote:
NFHS rules.

Suddenly, something gets in my eye, and I as the umpire, call time.

OR

My hand accidentally has a cramp and it looks like I am telling the pitcher not to pitch,

and voila,

No violation.

Really, I think a lot of umpires would just ignore the infraction and start the pitch all over, and I would be surprised if there was a problem with doing it from the offensive team' side.

[cynicism] But, make sure you always call the FED rules as they are written in the book, so you pass the umpire professionalism part of the FED Points of Emphasis each year... [/cynicism].
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
But in their infinite wisdom, they allow the pitcher to go to his mouth while in contact with the rubber... they are geniuses at FED HQ, you gotta admit.

In Illinois the IHSA says it's still a balk. Bringing the hand up is the start of the pitching motion. Balk.
I never had a problem of pitchers doing this when it was illegal anyway.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F1 has to wipe his hand off before contacting the ball.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 04:15pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Not in Illinois.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

PA says it's a ball any time the pitcher goes to the mouth while on the rubber whether he wipes or not (except after he's come set or assumed one of the windup positions, then it's a balk). So pretty much it's exactly like the pro rule except replace "18 foot circle" with "rubber" in the wording of the rule.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
PA says it's a ball any time the pitcher goes to the mouth while on the rubber whether he wipes or not (except after he's come set or assumed one of the windup positions, then it's a balk). So pretty much it's exactly like the pro rule except replace "18 foot circle" with "rubber" in the wording of the rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
In Illinois the IHSA says it's still a balk. Bringing the hand up is the start of the pitching motion. Balk.
I never had a problem of pitchers doing this when it was illegal anyway.
And this is exactly the problem with the NFHS rule(s). Same code, different interpretations. If FED would stop tinkering with the rules, we wouldn't have this.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Not in Illinois.
I went to the last rules meeting in Illinois on the 15th. The IHSA had new information for the going to the mouth rule. It seems that the NF has made a mess of this rule. We were told to disregard any NF publication in reference to this rule. Here is Illinois guidelines, and they were not this way at the early rules meetings.

Nobody on. Pitcher on the rubber. Goes to his mouth then touches the ball. Dead ball. Ball to batter.

Nobody on. Pitcher on rubber. Goes to mouth, wipes off, goes to ball. Nothing

Runners on. Pitcher on rubber. Goes to mouth. Dead immediately. Balk.

I'm guessing the latter is because of the movement, not because he went to his mouth.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Runners on. Pitcher on rubber. Goes to mouth. Dead immediately. Balk.

I'm guessing the latter is because of the movement, not because he went to his mouth.
Here it is:

Runner on. Pitcher on rubber. Goes to mouth. BALL

Runner on. Pitcher on rubber and set, both hands in front of his body. Goes to mouth. BALK, not for going to his mouth but for separating his hands after being set.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

The IHSA rules interpreter said that in Illinois we are to call a balk immediately with runners on and the pitcher goes to his mouth. With no runners it is a BALL only if he fails to wipe off.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I went to the last rules meeting in Illinois on the 15th. The IHSA had new information for the going to the mouth rule. It seems that the NF has made a mess of this rule. We were told to disregard any NF publication in reference to this rule.
This is a major problem. Often times we are told by assignors or interpretors (either association or state) that some rules are subject to more lenient enforcement.

But what happens when you don't call whats written in the book and are questioned by a manager as to why you're ignoring a certain rule? Is there going to be a protest that will be upheld?

For this example, "Blue, that's a balk! You gotta call that!" In response, the umpire steps in it and says, "I know that's what's written, but I was told to let it go."

Are we going to be backed up? I would hope so, but there are no guarantees. This, IMO, is hanging the officials out to dry. Why not just follow OBR in this case? I see no safety issue, so is the NFHS just being stubborn?