The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Help with the start of my season

I am getting ready to begin my spring season next week. I thought it might be helpful to me (and maybe others) if some of you could share some of the more "tricky" rules that coaches, and even sometimes umpires, don't grasp. I would like to have some of them highlighted in my book so that I will be prepared in case discussions come up where I can help others.

Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Just remember:

1. Hands are part of the bat.
2. Tie goes to the runner.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Make sure you COMPLETELY understand interference, obstruction, and the seemingly easy, but inexplicably misunderstood, rules regarding BOO.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Make sure you COMPLETELY understand interference, obstruction, and the seemingly easy, but inexplicably misunderstood, rules regarding BOO.
Regarding the batting out of order, I need a bit of a recap as it's been a long offseason. If a batter bats out of order and nobody appeals it, does the batting order stay that way the next time through the order?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Regarding the batting out of order, I need a bit of a recap as it's been a long offseason. If a batter bats out of order and nobody appeals it, does the batting order stay that way the next time through the order?
Of course not.

The rule is easy (or easier) to enforce it you remember that it's called "Batting Out of Order" but it should be called "Being Too Stupid To Bat When It's Your Turn."
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99
I am getting ready to begin my spring season next week. I thought it might be helpful to me (and maybe others) if some of you could share some of the more "tricky" rules that coaches, and even sometimes umpires, don't grasp. I would like to have some of them highlighted in my book so that I will be prepared in case discussions come up where I can help others.

Thanks in advance.
Please don't let that discussion(with the book) be with a coach during a game.

Remember, a rule is only tricky if you don't understand it. No substitute for rules knowledge.

Here's my suggestion for final prep.

1. Know your baserunning awards table
2. Find a top 10 or top 20 baseball myths list (I'm sure someone here can accomodate us) Husker got us started with the top 2. go thru it methodically and know why it is a myth and which rule dispels the myth.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Top 20

Some of these may need updating.

1. The hands are considered part of the bat. The hands are part of a person's body. If a pitch hits the batter's hands the ball is dead; if he swung at the pitch, a strike is called (NOT a foul). If he was avoiding the pitch, he is awarded first base. Rules: 2.00 PERSON, TOUCH, STRIKE (e) and 6.05(f)
2. The batter-runner must turn to his right after over-running first base.
The batter-runner may turn left or right, provided that if he turns left he does not make an attempt to advance. An attempt is a judgment made by the umpire. The requirement is that the runner must immediately return to first after overrunning or oversliding it. Rule: 7.08(c and j)
3. If the batter breaks his wrists when swinging, it's a strike.
A strike is a judgment by the umpire as to whether the batter attempted to strike the ball. Breaking the wrists, or the barrel of the bat crossing the plate are simply guides to making the judgment of an attempt, these are not rules. Rule: 2.00 STRIKE
4. If a batted ball hits the plate first it's a foul ball.
The plate is in fair territory. There is nothing special about it. If a batted ball hits it, it is treated like any other batted ball.
5. The batter cannot be called out for interference if he is in the batter's box. The batter's box is not a safety zone. A batter could be called out for interference if the umpire judges that interference could or should have been avoided. The batter is protected while in the box for a short period of time. After he has had time to react to the play he could be called for interference if he does not move out of the box and interferes with a play. Many people believe the batter's box is a safety zone for the batter. It is not. The batter MAY be called out for interference although he is within the box. The key words, impede, hinder, confuse or obstruct apply to this
situation. An umpire must use good judgment. The batter cannot be expected to disappear. If he has a chance to avoid interference after he has had time to react to the situation and does not, he is guilty. If he just swung at a pitch, or had to duck a pitch and is off-balance, he can't reasonably be expected to then immediately avoid a play at the plate. However, after some time passes, if a play develops at the plate, the batter must get out of the box and avoid interference. The batter should always be called out when he makes contact and is outside the box. Rules: 2.00
INTERFERENCE, 6.06(c)
6. The ball is dead on a foul-tip. There is nothing foul about a foul-tip. If the ball nicks the bat and goes sharp and direct to the catcher's hand or
glove and is caught, this is a foul-tip by definition. A foul-tip is a strike and the ball is alive. It is the same as a swing and miss. If the ball is not caught, it is a foul ball. If the nicked pitch first hits the catcher somewhere other than the hand or glove, it is not a foul-tip, it is a foul ball. Rules: 2.00 FOUL-TIP, STRIKE
7. The batter may not switch batter's boxes after two strikes.
The batter can switch boxes at any time, provided he does not do it after the pitcher is ready to pitch. Rule: 6.06(b)
8. The batter who batted out of order is the person declared out.
The PROPER batter is the one called out. Any hit or advance made by the batter or runners due to the hit, walk, error or other reason is nullified. The next batter is the one who follows the proper batter who was called out. Rule: 6.07(b, 1)

9. The batter may not overrun first base when he gets a base-on-balls.
Rule 7.08(c and j) simply state that a batter-runner must immediately return after overrunning first base. It doesn't state any exceptions as to how the player became a runner. It could be a hit, walk, error or dropped third strike. In Little League the runner may overrun. In FED rules he may not and in Professional baseball, he may not. In other programs that use the OBR he may if that is how the program rules it. To overrun means that the runner’s momentum carried him straight beyond the base after touching it. It does not mean to turn and attempt to advance. Nor does it mean that he stepped over it or stopped on it and then got off of it.
10. The batter is out if he starts for the dugout before going to first after a dropped third strike. The batter may attempt first base anytime prior to entering the dugout or a dead ball area. The batter becomes a runner when the third strike is not caught. Therefore, if there are 2 outs and there is a runner at first, first and second, or bases loaded, the batter creates a force by becoming a runner. These runners are all forced to advance and an out may be obtained by making a play on any one of them. If the bases are loaded the catcher may step on home or throw to third, second or first. Rule: 6.05(c), 6.09(b) Casebook interpretation
11. If the batter does not pull the bat out of the strike zone while in the bunting position, it's an automatic strike. A strike is an attempt to hit the ball. Simply holding the bat over the plate is not an attempt. This is umpire judgment. Rule 2.00 STRIKE Rule 2.00 BUNT is a batted ball not swung at, but INTENTIONALLY met with the bat. The key words are "intentionally met". If no attempt is made to make contact with a ball outside the strike zone, it should be called a ball. An effort must be made to intentionally meet the ball with the bat.
12. The batter is out if a bunted ball hits the ground and bounces back up and hits the bat while the batter is holding the bat. The rule says the BAT cannot hit the ball a second time. When the BALL hits the bat, it is not an out. Also, when the batter is still in the box when this happens, it's treated as simply a foul ball. If the batter is out of the box and the bat is over fair territory when the second hit occurs, the batter would be out. Rules: 6.05(h) and 7.09(b)
13. The batter is out if his foot touches the plate. To be out, the batter's foot must be ENTIRELY outside the box when he contacts the pitch and the ball goes fair or foul. He is not out if he does not contact the pitch. There is no statement about touching the plate. The toe could be on the plate and the heel could be touching the line of the box, which means the foot is not entirely outside the box. Rule: 6.06(a)
14. The batter-runner is always out if he runs outside the running lane after a bunted ball. The runner must be out of the lane AND cause interference. He is not out simply for being outside the lane. He could be called for interference even while in the lane. This is a judgment call.
The runner may step out of the lane a step or two before the base if he moves from within the lane to out of it. If he is out of the lane the whole distance to the base and is hit with a throw, he should be out. Rules: 2.00
INTERFERENCE, 6.05(k), 7.09(k)
15. A runner is out if he slaps hands or high-fives other players, after a homerun is hit over the fence. The ball is dead on a homerun over the fence. You can't be put out while the ball is dead except when you pass
another runner. Rules: 5.02, 7.05(a)
16. Tie goes to the runner. There is no such thing in the world of mpiring. The runner is either out or safe. The umpire must judge out or safe. It is impossible to judge a tie.
17. The runner gets the base he's going to, plus one on a ball thrown out-of-play. When a fielder other than the pitcher throws the ball into dead ball area, the award is 2 bases. The award is from where the runners were at the time of the pitch if it is the first play by an infielder before all runners have advanced or from where each runner was physically positioned at the time the ball left the throwers hand on all other plays.
Rule: 7.05(g)
18. Anytime a coach touches a runner, the runner is out. Rule 7.09(I) says the runner is out if the coach PHYSICALLY ASSISTS the runner. Hand slaps, back pats or simple touches are not physical assists.

19. Runners may never run the bases in reverse order. In order to correct a base running mistake, the runner MUST retrace his steps and retouch the bases in reverse

order. The only time a runner is out for running in reverse, is when he is making a travesty of the game or tries to confuse the defense. Rules: 7.08(I), 7.10(b)
20. The runner must always slide when the play is close. There is no "must slide" rule. When the fielder has the ball in his possession, the runner has two choices; slide OR attempt to get around the fielder. He may NOT deliberately or maliciously contact the fielder, but he is NOT

required to slide. If the fielder does not have possession but, is in the act of fielding, and contact is made, it is a nocall unless the contact was intentional and malicious. Rule: 7.08(a, 3) this rule does not apply to professionals.

Last edited by Rcichon; Wed Mar 14, 2007 at 11:42am.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Canada- this is how i explain BOO to newer umpires.

DO NOT think of batting out of order as people batting in different "slots" in the batting order.

Rather, think of BOO as players being "skipped over" in the batting order.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72

DO NOT think of batting out of order as people batting in different "slots" in the batting order.

I teach this rule as the "not being smart enough to know when to bat" rule.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72

So if the lineup goes: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 4 bats when 2 should have been up and nobody appeals it, once 4 completes his at bat hitter number 3 would hit. But once hitter number 3's at bat is done, what happens then? Would 4 hit again; what if hitter number 4 is on base?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

canadaump6,

Wrong!

If 4 bats because 2 was too stupid to realize it was his turn, and completes his at bat, and the defense does not appeal, then 5 becomes the proper batter.

If 3 were to bat after 4, he too would be an improper batter. If he were to complete his at bat without a defensive appeal, the next proper batter would indeed be 4 - unless he was already on base. In which case 5 would be the proper batter.

JM
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if the lineup goes: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 4 bats when 2 should have been up and nobody appeals it, once 4 completes his at bat hitter number 3 would hit. But once hitter number 3's at bat is done, what happens then? Would 4 hit again; what if hitter number 4 is on base?
You're thinking too much. This isn't that hard. If 4 isn't appealed, then 5 is the next proper batter, not 3.

Edited to add: Just saw UmpJM's post. Read that one. Then read it again.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You need to study BOO situations hard before your next game because Murphy's Law says it will happen soon, and you are not prepared.

Last edited by DG; Wed Mar 14, 2007 at 10:40pm.