The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Riddell Power

Watch out Carlucci, a used Riddell Power may just weigh in on the price scale above your product. I saw this on ebay and wondered what it is about this particular CP that would garner such a price.

Riddell Power

Tim.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 10:56pm

Wow, it could be the same one I used to have (it looks the same... ).

Tim, it's just the best chest protector ever made (Carlucci excluded). If I had the spare ducketts, I would be bidding on it. I could just kick myself (and have) for getting rid of it for what amounted to 3 magic beans.

The thing stops a bullet. The only protection I find even comparable on the market these days is the WV Platinum, but even that pales by comparison.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Iwas thinking thesame thing when I saw what the bid was up to.....I wondered if it came equipped with a radar that called balls and strikes for you as well as a chilled beer holder......wow!
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

I watch a lot of stuff on eBay and that one had me scratching my head, too.

What about this protector makes it that much better than any other hard-shell? It looks to be constructed about the same as the various Wilson models. Thicker padding, maybe? Thicker plastic panels?

It certainly is a long sucker though! Not only would that one cover my chest, but it looks like it would be tucked down into my pants below the belt line.

By the way, did anyone notice that several pieces of Carlucci gear were on eBay this week?

Last edited by BretMan; Sat Mar 03, 2007 at 11:32pm.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Joe West's $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
I watch a lot of stuff on eBay and that one had me scratching my head, too.

What about this protector makes it that much better than any other hard-shell? It looks to be constructed about the same as the various Wilson models. Thicker padding, maybe? Thicker plastic panels?

It certainly is a long sucker though! Not only would that one cover my chest, but it looks like it would be tucked down into my pants below the belt line.

By the way, did anyone notice that several pieces of Carlucci gear were on eBay this week?
When I asked him, Joe West has said that the Riddell is "weaker" than his protectors because the padding is sewn through, where the Wilson products (Gold & Platinum), are not. He might have just been puffing up his products, but with the Power off the market for 10+ years now, why would he?
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

I know of atleast 1 MLB umpire who uses this exact same one.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I know of atleast 1 MLB umpire who uses this exact same one.
At least one MLB? How could there be more using this exact one? Do they share? And why is/are he/they selling it?
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
At least one MLB? How could there be more using this exact one? Do they share? And why is/are he/they selling it?
Garth, the exact same model chest protector.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
When I asked him, Joe West has said that the Riddell is "weaker" than his protectors because the padding is sewn through, where the Wilson products (Gold & Platinum), are not. He might have just been puffing up his products, but with the Power off the market for 10+ years now, why would he?
Joe West has been running this smack since before he sued to get the Riddell taken out of production. Because of Mr. West's lawsuit, umpires everywhere have been denied the superior protection that the Riddell Power afforded. This is also why I've never owned a West Vest (stupid little protest, really). At the time I traded my Power for some other gear, I did not know that they had been pulled off the market. The guy I traded it to did.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

The reason this is getting bit so high is the same reason some joker paid about 2 bills for my Douglas West Vest. They're collectors items, and MLB umpire groupies want to just like their heroes. Trust me, that Douglas was nothing special, and the $29.95 West Vest we all got off of Amazon.com last December (you all did get a couple of those, right?) is just as good, if not better.

I've had the Riddell in my hands, and wouldn't take it over my Gold or Platinum. IMO, it's the geegaw factor of wearing a collectors item, as opposed to a superior product. And that's ok. I drive a '67 Mustang for probably the same reasons. A '07 Shelby is better in every way than my old car. But I like my old sled because it's cool.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 01:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
The reason this is getting bit so high is the same reason some joker paid about 2 bills for my Douglas West Vest. They're collectors items, and MLB umpire groupies want to just like their heroes. Trust me, that Douglas was nothing special, and the $29.95 West Vest we all got off of Amazon.com last December (you all did get a couple of those, right?) is just as good, if not better.

I've had the Riddell in my hands, and wouldn't take it over my Gold or Platinum. IMO, it's the geegaw factor of wearing a collectors item, as opposed to a superior product. And that's ok. I drive a '67 Mustang for probably the same reasons. A '07 Shelby is better in every way than my old car. But I like my old sled because it's cool.
You've had the Riddell in your hands. I've worn and trusted it for a couple years. It took every shot imaginable, and I never felt a thing. That's good enough for me. I wouldn't want one for a collector's item, or any "geegaw" (like Grandpa Jones, I don't know Gee from Haw anyway) factor. I really wish Riddell would come out with a new, non-patent infringing model, and just go ahead and put ol' Joe out of bidness.

So, that's your opinion of the guy that bought your DWV? Remind me not to buy anything off you!
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

So, that's your opinion of the guy that bought your DWV? Remind me not to buy anything off you!
I'm not slamming the Power or the Douglas. They're fine rigs.

Are they better than the thirty dollar WV I bought on-line? I didn't see it. Perhaps they fit some builds better than others. That would certainly be a plus. The Douglas is the exact same thing as my $30 WV, that someone paid me nearly $200 for. And it was old and used.

But I was just poking fun at the bidders on my Douglas. Much like the guy who paid huge money for my old +POS SUL.

Again, nostalgia is great. I wish I had my '67 Shelby GT500 again. Although I'd probably sell that too, seeing that it would fetch $100K+ now.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Same seller has a Carlucci up for sale as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/Umpire-Chest-Pro...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by tiger49; Sun Mar 04, 2007 at 11:10am.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

It cost some guy $426 to wear an old, used chest protector.

Only in America.

Hey, I'm no better. I've got an old American League plate coat that I sport from time to time. It's not that it keeps me warmer than my new +POS jacket, but it's definitely cooler.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

The Riddell sold for over $400, eh. Hmm, might be time to put mine on the market.

I've owned one for a few years. I used to whip it out when working with umpires who would recognize it's collector item status and be impressed.

I do not think it's as protective or more protective than the West Vest Gold, though. I have never taken a shot I've felt wearing the Gold, whereas I have taken a shot to dead center chest wearing the Riddell that, while not posing any particular problem, definitely had some sting to it. The Riddell's padding is a skotch thinner than the West Vest, and the result is as one would expect.