The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Often,when talkin' umpiring with other umpires or teaching umpires, the use of anecdotes, sometimes humorous, helps the understanding of a concept. Such is my attempt here with the concept of "Timing."

Please contribute an anecdote if you wish, truth or fiction but note:

COMMENTS ARE NOT WELCOME. IF YOU THINK THIS IS SILLY OR STUPID, JUST SKIP THIS POST.

"Timing"

You know your timing is good when:

--After the batter has fouled off a pitch, he asks you if the pitch was a strike and...you don't know! (By the way, yes, it was a strike.)

--A close pitch is caught and you're not sure if it's a ball or strike when the batter says: "Oh...#@*%!" Up you come with: "Striiiiikkkee!" (and thank you very much!)

--When the crowd cheers (or jeers) twice. Once when the play is happening and again a few moments later when you make the call.

--The base coach signals safe when the runner is two strides from the base and you signal safe (or better yet, out) when the runner is two strides past the base. By the way, when the coach says: "He beat the throw by two steps!", I've always wanted to retort: "Strides, coach, not steps...strides!" but I guess I'm a trouble maker?

--When asked why you took so long to make the call, you answer: "I was waiting for the TV camera to focus on my good side!" or "I was hoping to get good style points from the Russian judge!"

--

R...
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 08:49pm
Veteran College Umpire

When I teach timing at my clinics I tell pupils, "Pretend the game is on tv and there's only one camera...give the camera man time to show the play, then turn the camera toward you to see your call. Then your timing will be about right."

GBA
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

My Fav! Even better when the batter goes, Oh Shiiit! when the curveball breaks BEFORE the plate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Randallump

--A close pitch is caught and you're not sure if it's a ball or strike when the batter says: "Oh...#@*%!" Up you come with: "Striiiiikkkee!" (and thank you very much!)