The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Hello! I have 2 questions regarding Little League rules.

Please note: Our league play states runners cant steal until the pitch passes home plate.

1) At what point is one pitch "over" and the next pitch begins. Specifically, if a batter walks how long can he keep advancing around the bases on the same "play". when does the next "pitch" begin. Is it until the pitcher has the ball or must he be on the rubber or does the playing action (in this case being the runner advancing from the walk) have to be ceased. Please clarify.

2) Second, I think I read "time" can only be granted between "plays" when the pitcher has the ball on the mound and playing action is stopped. I was then told any fielder can ask for time and it can be granted as long as playing action has ceased on the play. Which one is it. Please clarify.

Thanks, Tony
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

The "pitch" is over as soon as it is touched by the catcher (after crossing the foul lines); touches the batter; is contacted by the bat; enters dead ball territory; or comes to rest.

However, don't confuse this with "time of pitch" which is really what determines the position of runners in youth leagues with a rule such as yours.

Time can be requested by any member of either team. The umpire can grant time (or refuse to do so) as long as there is no continuing action at the time.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Rich. Im now clear on the "time" rule but I dont think I got what Im looking for regarding the first question. How long can a walked batter keep advancing around the bases when the pitcher regains control of the ball after pitching ball 4. Another part of the same question is if someone is on 3rd, the batter who walks turns and heads to second and a throw is made to 2nd to get him out, can the runner on 3rd advance home? or must he stay at 3rd until the next pitch crosses home plate (if he then chooses to steal).
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Regarding #1..The B/R may continue running the bases after a walk, just the same as if he hit the ball. Runner on 3B may attempt to advance as soon as the ball has reached the batter. If he doesn't leave the base, and the ball is returned to the pitcher, he may attempt to advance as soon as the pitcher makes a play on the B/R.

#2..Time may be granted by the umpire anytime the action has ceased. However, time should not be called just to allow an infielder to return the ball to the pitcher.

bob
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

THANK YOU!
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by t2nyval
Hello! I have 2 questions regarding Little League rules.

Please note: Our league play states runners cant steal until the pitch passes home plate.

1) At what point is one pitch "over" and the next pitch begins. Specifically, if a batter walks how long can he keep advancing around the bases on the same "play". when does the next "pitch" begin. Is it until the pitcher has the ball or must he be on the rubber or does the playing action (in this case being the runner advancing from the walk) have to be ceased. Please clarify.

When B1 walks, we have still have a "live" situation so you allow play to continue even if F1 has the ball on the mound and F2 is ready to receive it. However, once B1 stops, he /she better try and advance or get get back to the previous base immediately otherwise they could be guilty of a 7.13 violation (leaving early).

As long as B1 is still moving (continous action theory), you do not kill the play that's why an umpire should not get in the habit of granting time on ball 4 especially in youth baseball.

2) Second, I think I read "time" can only be granted between "plays" when the pitcher has the ball on the mound and playing action is stopped. I was then told any fielder can ask for time and it can be granted as long as playing action has ceased on the play. Which one is it. Please clarify.

Tony the following is the OBR rule reference regarding when an umpire should call Time.

OBR 5.10 The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls "Time." The umpire in chief shall call "Time"_
(a) When in his judgment weather, darkness or similar conditions make immediate further play impossible;

(b) When light failure makes it difficult or impossible for the umpires to follow the play; NOTE: A league may adopt its own regulations governing games interrupted by light failure.

(c) When an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire;
(1) If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field, or an award of one or more bases, a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play.

(d) When a manager requests "Time" for a substitution, or for a conference with one of his players.

(e) When the umpire wishes to examine the ball, to consult with either manager, or for any similar cause.

(f) When a fielder, after catching a fly ball, falls into a bench or stand, or falls across ropes into a crowd when spectators are on the field. As pertains to runners, the provisions of 7.04 (c) shall prevail. If a fielder after making a catch steps into a bench, but does not fall, the ball is in play and runners may advance at their own peril.

(g) When an umpire orders a player or any other person removed from the playing field.

(h) Except in the cases stated in paragraphs (b) and (c) (1) of this rule, no umpire shall call "Time" while a play is in progress.

Any one can ask for time, but the umpire MUST grant it. Just because playing action has ceased doesn't mean an umpire should grant time. Keep the game moving. Fielders calling Time is a common ploy in youth baseball as the coach doesn't want the risk of having one of his fielders over throw F1 and possibly cost his team a run.

Pete Booth