The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 23, 2001, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Is there a rule in FED that states that the pitcher, after stepping off the rubber from the set position, has to break his hands within a certain time after doing so? (He obviously has to before stepping back on.)
Old Sun Sep 23, 2001, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

No time limit on separating the hands after stepping off.

That having been said, however, he can't just step off and stand there. The pitcher has only 20 seconds after receiving the ball to do something - pitch (which, as you said, will require him to separate his hands before stepping back on the rubber), make a play or attempt a play including a legal feint - any of which will naturally cause the hands to separate.

Most umpires don't put a stopwatch on this 20 second requirement. Most pitchers don't abuse it. But I'm sure that a pitcher who persists in delaying the game by constantly stepping on and off the rubber - with or without separating his hands - will be corrected, up to and including being penalized appropriately (ball on the batter).
Old Sun Sep 23, 2001, 10:18pm
Michael Taylor

FED makes no mention of seperating the hands upon disengaging. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 20 second rule is only with no runners. I know that's the OBR and I'm fairly sure it's the same in FED.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2001, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Taylor
FED makes no mention of seperating the hands upon disengaging. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 20 second rule is only with no runners. I know that's the OBR and I'm fairly sure it's the same in FED.
The 20 second rule applies in Fed play with or without runners. The rule is: It is an infraction by the pitcher for [6-2-2c.] "failing to pitch or make or attempt a play, including a legal feint, within 20 seconds after he has received the ball." The penalty is "The batter shall be awarded a ball." The Case Book rulings in support of this rule are 6.2.2 C, 6.2.2 E, and 6.2.2 F. All three of those citations include a runner.

The pitcher must do something - at least feint - within the 20 seconds. From 6.2.2 F, stepping off can be a part of a feint, "if in the umpire's judgement there is an accompanying action." The original question asked about separating the hands. If the pitcher simply steps backward off the plate and stands there without separating his hands, making no other attempt at a play, he will probably violate the 20 second rule.

In any case, he must separate his hands before re-engaging the rubber.

You are correct about the OBR. The 20 second rule (8.04) applies only with no runners on base, although in the BRD, Play 335 Note 314, Carl Childress mentions a play clock in use for the NBC World Series in Wichita, KS. I've never been there to see it.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 10:26am
Michael Taylor

Thanks for the clarification. Iwasn't sure and my wife came in and cleaned up my computer space so I'm not sure where all my rulebooks are.