The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   touching a catcher's back (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/29175-touching-catchers-back.html)

TussAgee11 Fri Nov 03, 2006 01:21pm

yes, SDS I did.

Adam Petty died when his throttle hung wide open going into a corner. Machine failed.

Kenny Irwin died when a piece of metal from the engine actually broke, came through the cockpit, and sliced him in half. He didn't even die of a wreck. That is freakish.

Thanks for the correction :)

AlabamaBlue Fri Nov 03, 2006 01:39pm

From Dictionary.com: sport  /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

From the Oxford English dictionary: sport

• noun 1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Given that, how is boxing, UFC, etc not a sport? Just because you don't think it is?

SanDiegoSteve Fri Nov 03, 2006 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlabamaBlue
From Dictionary.com: sport  /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

• noun 1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Given that, how is boxing, UFC, etc not a sport? Just because you don't think it is?

Thank you! That's what we needed, a dictionary! Great job.

tibear Fri Nov 03, 2006 02:44pm

Your never going to get everyone to agree on what a sport is. Hell, some people think mud wrestling and poker are sports.

I think we each have our own opinion on what constitutes a sport.

In my humble opinion I would only allow sports into the Olympics that have no judges. Say goodbye to figure skating, gymnastics, boxing(unless they go until a knockout or TKO), diving, style points in sky jumping, "artistic" snowboarding events, etc.

Having said that though, I would also get rid of the 2-man luge. Any activity where one guy is lying on another and moving together as one is something I don't want to see. :)

BigTex Fri Nov 03, 2006 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlabamaBlue

So by that rationale, if I go into my backyard and my son and I try to throw dirt clods into a bucket, it is officially a sport?

I gotta go and contact the IOC and lobby to have dirt-clod tossing in the Beijing games, I am pretty good at it, and I can do our country proud.

BigTex Fri Nov 03, 2006 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
How about going down by the railroad tracks and throwing rocks at the telephone poles.

If you and I go together, and decide that we should compete on who hits the pole more, it would be a sport!

mbyron Fri Nov 03, 2006 07:19pm

Some people think making idiotic posts on the internet is good sport.

Takes all kinds.

DG Fri Nov 03, 2006 07:31pm

How about going down to the city dump at night and see who could kill the most rats with a 22 caliber pistol? Bring your own pistol and flashlight or you couldn't play. Damn, I miss those days...