The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

The Board has been rather quiet to say the least so I thought I would post a topic so others can comment if they wish.

Our fellow bretheran Officials in the NFL should have taken a page from the MLB Umpires from last year.

Officials are needed, but they are not an intregal part of the game. When's the last time you heard someone attending a game because so and so was officiating.

Apparently, the NFL Officials didn't get it. Who knows, these replacement officials might turn out better than some of the vets who have been there for years. Also, even with the veteran officials, you always heard something. So the point is: whether replacement officials or the vets, teams will always have something to complain about.

One of the things that bothers me the most is when after a game an official says to me "hey Pete did you see that great call I made". IMO There are no great calls simply calls to be made - Period. If we see something call it, thats what we are trained to do. No need to glorify ourselves afterwards.

We as Officials are not above the game . Some umpires go out of there way to make some wierd call or go looking for something (ie; Balk that isn't a Balk) to either supplement their ego or to make them think they are Joe Umpire The game is called the way a particular league / association expects it to be called -

Whenever as a unit we walk off the field and hear nothing means we did our job . Some umpires like to hang around and for some strange reason want to hear a coach or some parents say "good game blue" - perhaps Politicking for their next assignment.

When the game is over good or bad I simply meet my partner and we both walk off together towards our cars. No hanging around etc.

Umpiring in a way is like being a Parent - It's a thankless job and only we ourselves or our partner know if we did a good job or not.

Example; we could have a game in which our mechanics were way off, our strike zone a little shaky and our positioning on the bases was sub par - yet the game went smooth and no complaints. To everyone else we called a good game, but we know differently, conversely,

we could have a game in which both you and your partner were in a zone right there for every call, strike zone right on , but you and your partner had one of those games in which just about every play was a banger and throw in an obstruction call to boot.

Even though we know we called a good game, to everyone else it seemed as though we didn't. So go figure.

Bottom Line: We as Officials deserve to be treated with respect and payed accordingly - but that's it. We are not bigger than the game.

Ok it's Monday - any thoughts!

Pete Booth
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Talking It's all in the mind, Pete!

Now that we've settled down a little from all the recent events, I'll post some thoughts I've held off on for the past week.

The NFL officials must feel they are much more important to the game than reality warrants. From what I've heard or read about them, it seems that they are really part-timers with good perks, and a fairly good salary for the time actually involved. Most of them have decent "real" jobs, and any fee involved is like icing on the cake. TV glorified several of them, (Markbreit, Tunney, Cashion, etc.,) but most were not "stars", just journeymen. Obviously the players aren't worried about supporting them, why should anyone else?

When heads swell, something sure as hell happens to give the "wake up call", and it isn't always pleasant. The subs have done a fine job, the league isn't losing any ground, and they've probably lost their positions. Too bad.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2001, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

"Officials are needed, but they are not an intregal part of the game." Pete

I don't think that you truely mean that officials are not an intregal part of the game. Probably what you meant was that particular, individual officials are not intregal to the game.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Pete, Right On. Good article. When we as officials believe that "We are the game that everyone came to see" Then we definitly need replacements.!!!!!

Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
A casual handshake

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Whenever as a unit we walk off the field and hear nothing means we did our job . Some umpires like to hang around and for some strange reason want to hear a coach or some parents say "good game blue" - perhaps Politicking for their next assignment.

When the game is over good or bad I simply meet my partner and we both walk off together towards our cars. No hanging around etc.

Umpiring in a way is like being a Parent - It's a thankless job and only we ourselves or our partner know if we did a good job or not...

I certainly agree that oftentimes there is far too much sucking up that some umpires do with coaches. This seemed to especially prevail at the Varsity High School level in my area. I would state though that it might be a good idea for a newer official to see what the norms are for their association. Oftentimes our route to the parking lot is behind homeplate taking both PU and BU in close proximity to coaches. I am more than willing in those situations to shake an extended hand. To do otherwise when most other officials are paying that courtesy might be misinterpreted. You must however depart from such displays when your partner has not enjoyed a smooth game be he PU or BU. In those cases certainly just leave the field. Jim/NYC