The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

DO you follow the ball to the base???

Good Morning,
Well I just did my first Varisty Level Fall Ball game this weekend with 2 very close and good teams. I have done other JV games this year as well and some JR Legion 17 AND UNDER. My question is I found myself 2nd guessing some of my calls during and after the game the plate umpire said I did a good job but...... On steals and other base calls do you guys follow the ball all the way to the base and aquire the the runner or do you focus the base and aquire the runner and ball when they come into view. I know you should allways watch the ball because of the obiovous but.. I think that as the level of ball gets better things change a bit so I would like your thoughts as to how other HS VARSITY and higher umps get it done.
Thanks Mike
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Mike:

We know through formal training that "the ball takes you to the play."

So, as example, on a steal of second base as a BU we watch F2 catch the ball as we "are opening the gate" and as the ball passes us by we bring our left foot around to become square to the second base bag. (Hopefully you have gained a couple of steps towards second base as the ball is traveling towards the ultimate goal).

As the fielder begins to receive the ball normally the runner then enters in your reference frame. As long as you do not get to close to the call (where it can blow up on you) the natural progression is to follow the ball, the fielder appears and then the runner.

I have NEVER tried to aquire the runner prior to the ball arrival.

We know through training it takes three things for a play:

A Ball
A Runner
A Fielder.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I agree with T, but would add that I "pull my eyes ahead of the throw" once I see that the throw is on-line (i.e., it's not going to hit me). I then focus on the fielder and the fielder's glove.

It's similar to the action of the eyes on a force at first -- we don't watch the ball all the way into the glove -- we transition our eyes to first base to watch for the runner and listen for the ball.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Yes it sounds so clear. And this is basicly the way I have been doing it as Bob has stated but man those bang bang plays sometimes get me thinking did I get it right and I can't help but think that maybe I'm doing something a little wroung. Basicly I wait for a release of the ball ( on a steal) then turn and move a little to get set and I guess now thinking maybe I was just focusing on the area ( all 3 coming together ball, glove, hand or foot)and not the fielders glove which makes more sence I think.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

• Decide Your Angle
  • Get To Your Spot
  • Set Your Feet
  • Read a True Throw
  • Hands On Knee Set
  • Watch/Listen for "Click-Thump"
  • Confirm Possession & Release (Eyes)
  • Make Your Decision (Mentally)
  • Signal Your Call (Physically/Verbally)

Pretty straight forward - any ???????
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, Be careful with getting ahead of the ball. Especially if you have multiple runner. If you are expecting a throw to 1B, as an example, you could have a fielder, i.e. 2B, intercept the ball and attempt a play at 3B while you are watching 1B. Now you have someone looking for a call that is yours and you didn't see it. Let the ball take you all the way in, that way you won't get fooled.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

sargee,

Bob is much more experienced than what your posts give him credit.

When we are "reading" the throw it takes for granted that you are following the ball with correct respect to the committment.

We have killed the idea of coverage of multiple bases in the last 30 days here and on other websites.

Regards,
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
We know through training it takes three things for a play:

A Ball
A Runner
A Fielder.
What about a field?
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargee7
Bob, Be careful with getting ahead of the ball. Especially if you have multiple runner. If you are expecting a throw to 1B, as an example, you could have a fielder, i.e. 2B, intercept the ball and attempt a play at 3B while you are watching 1B. Now you have someone looking for a call that is yours and you didn't see it. Let the ball take you all the way in, that way you won't get fooled.
Sarge, be careful giving advice to your betters. And if you don't know who those are, assume they are your betters until proven otherwise. Stick around a while, it will be obvious who knows what they are talking about and which 3 guys don't.

Also - if you'd actually read Bob's post instead of picking out 3 words to jump on, you'd see that he was talking about moving his eyes forward AFTER knowing the ball was already on the way to the base he was watching and he wasn't in the way of the throw.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Sarge, be careful giving advice to your betters. And if you don't know who those are, assume they are your betters until proven otherwise. Stick around a while, it will be obvious who knows what they are talking about and which 3 guys don't.

Also - if you'd actually read Bob's post instead of picking out 3 words to jump on, you'd see that he was talking about moving his eyes forward AFTER knowing the ball was already on the way to the base he was watching and he wasn't in the way of the throw.
Mccrowder, sure didn't mean to get on your wild hair, but you know what happens when you assume. I surely didn't mean to degrade what might be bob's experience and if that that is the impression, I apologize. But you don't know me and please don't assume to do so. Don't let the "newbie" to this forum relate to MY experience on the field.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Mmmmm,

"But you don't know me and please don't assume to do so. Don't let the "newbie" to this forum relate to MY experience on the field."

Oh boy, here we go again.

Trust us sargee, we are far past the things that seem to be in your answers.

Regards,
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargee7
Sargee, you are right. I was thinking only of a single runner and a steal when I made my statement.

Multiple runners and a cut-off near the base at which a play might be made is difficult to hanlde with just two (or even one) umpires. If you stay with the ball or watch the cut-off, you will have no time to react to the play if the ball goes through. If you go the (anticipated) play, you will be late if the ball is cut-off. Still, the cut-off allows more time to react, so I'd err on the side of being ready for the initial play.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, I don't know you and certainly do not mean to belittle your's, or anyone else's experience on this, or any other forum. If I did, please accept my apologies.

It seems now that the only one's who rate any opinion on this forum are the one's that agree with other opinion's. Other than respond to your post, I am still not sure what got the hair's up on a couple of other's necks.

To McCrowder and TimC. I enjoy reading and, sometimes putting my 2cents in on these forums, so, If I am wrong in posting something, instead of being wisea**, why not just explain where and what I have posted as being incorrect. Maybe I, as well as other's, can learn from your vast experience and excellence in officiating.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Sargee7

I am guessing that I could pretty much draw a picture of you as an umpire.

Some of us here feel that posters "earn their stripes" . . . we have a tendency to recognize those that are trusted and those that blow smoke.

Few of us, if any, take seriously the first few posts of any newbie.

We have a tendency to believe in those posters that build a long history of posts that are considered "spot on." Bob is one of those types.

Your "dripping saracasm" in your last answer does little to make me want to join your team.

Of course you have the right to be any type poster you select . . . and others have the right to increase their number from 3 to 4.

Regards,
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Focus On Post

Gentelman,
I realize that I didn't include all the facts as perhaps I should have. In reguards to my question I was referring to only one runner stealing not multipile options for the fielders. And you should also note that I did not ask what was the BEST OR CORRECT way to make these calls I asked how you do it so I would take all the info and filter it as I wanted to use it. So please lets not start splitting hairs here. If someone makes a post that you perhaps you don't agree with so what, state your thoughts and move on. BASEBALL BASEBALL BASEBALL thats all.