Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Pete,

Namely, based on your read, which rule code do these "house" rules say you use for the things that are NOT changed by the local rules?

JM
Oh, that's a different question. But the answer is the same.

Quoting from page 3:

"The basic rules for all Baseball Leagues can be found in the National Federation of State High School Associations Rules."
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Oh, that's a different question. But the answer is the same.
Garth,

Hmmm... I'll have to think about that a little.

Now, I would agree that the quote you posted from page 3 seems pretty straightforward - at least until you get to page 5 and find the following:

Quote:
The following rules and regulations apply to all house leagues, both baseball and softball. Official Baseball rules published by the National Baseball Congress and Softball rules published by the Amateur Softball Association will
be applicable, except where there is a specific exception listed in these regulations.
Is your answer still the same, or different?

JM
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:45am

Well, since it seems that it's okay to violate the rules of this thread, and not just give a simple answer with no rationale provided, I will weigh in.

My answer of OBR is due to many Little League rules incorporated in as well as the bracketing being exactly the same as PONY baseball (which I thought was patented to start with).

Both of these organizations' rules are based on OBR, so even though it is stated on page 3 that the rules are based on NFHS rules, I believe the opposite is really the case. I was hard pressed to find anything remotely similar to high school rules within the playing rules.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Like Garth, I saw NFHS on page 3. Now you're showing entirely different base rules. Somebody needs to do some editing.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I saw both the OBR, NFHS, and ASA references - and thusly threw them all out. I based my GUESS (and for any of us this is truly a guess) on the age bracket names which are mimicked after PONY, and I believe PONY uses OBR.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pete,

I would certainly not dispute your assertion. However, my question was a little different. Namely, based on your read, which rule code do these "house" rules say you use for the things that are NOT changed by the local rules?

JM
As your question now asks which code does the house set say to use, I'd have to answer: both, however, the reference to OBR on page five is stronger than the reference to FED on page 3.

As for the local rules, attempting to link them to one code or another is fruitless. Just because they may have a similarity to
PONY's or any other league's add-ons doesn't mean a thing. Add-ons are not automatically tied to one code or another.

The whole situation is close to a FUBAR. A total re-write is called for. I assume you have volunteered for the job.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Sep 06, 2006 at 12:46pm.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The whole situation is close to a FUBAR. A total re-write is called for. I assume you have volunteered for the job.
I would submit, and believe I could support a case that, ALL local rules are FUBAR. I've yet to see one that was both A) necessary and B) consistent and complete.

The lone exception is time-limits, which I hate, but can see the need for in certain cases.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 04:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
tjones1,

In this league, I've been coaching 13/14 yr. olds. The league has teams that go all the way from T-Ball to 13/14 yr. olds, who play on an 80' diamond with a 54' rubber.

JM
Thanks Coach......Fed
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

What I think!

FED Rules

Thanks
David
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

According to the quotes we've seen, anything related to baseball and listed after page 5 is covered by the NBC. Prior to that, the rules are Fed related.
(Sorry, but that was too easy.)

Anyone else wonder why house leagues typically recruit the lowest common denominator umpire in many parts? (Hey, he has a patch and a heartbeat! Are you available?)

Good luck with that league coach - I'd love to see the technical committee at work.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

While the dual references don't make much sense, having to choose one over the other, I read the OBR reference as governing.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

My thanks to all who have replied. After Garth's "that's a different question..." reply, I realized that I had not worded my initial question very well.

What I meant to ask was, based on what the linked rules say should the OBR rules or the FED rules be used to adjudicate all the things which are not covered in the linked "House Rules".

As you now know, it says two different things in two different places. (Similarly, for the house softball leagues, in one place it specifies ASA & in another NFHS.) I am of the opinion that the specification of OBR "trumps" the specification of NFHS because immediately following the specification of NFHS as what I referred to as the "foundation rules", the rules also include the statement:

Quote:
The DYBA General Rules supercede specific instances of the NFHS rules and should be followed preferentially.
The "DYBA General Rules" is the section that specifies OBR as the "foundation rules". So, I believe that a "literalist" reading of the rules say that OBR takes precedence over FED in the adjudication of the league's games. I also am quite confident that the league's INTENT is that the FED rules be used as the basic playing rules.

While I too have a deep-seated aversion to "local rules", I have come to the conclusion that they are an inevitable annoyance. If they are going to exist, I believe they should be as few as possible and as "good" as possible.

While I have no intention of volunteering to rewrite these rules, I am planning to send a few observations regarding them to the individual who is in charge of these rules.

From a pragmatic point of view, I can only remember two occasions in four years of coaching in this league where a FED/OBR rule difference would have had an impact on the proper ruling in a game situation, so it's not that big a deal.

I was curious to see how the umpires on the forum would read the rules in responding to my question.

I genuinely appreciate those of you who took the time to respond. Thanks.

John
Old Wed Sep 06, 2006, 07:02pm

I love the part that describes what kind of blue jeans the umpire can wear. Yeah, that's a real good look.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

For a league that messed up, my interp fit best.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
I am asking you to read through the linked document and post your reply SOLELY as "OBR" or "FED". Please do NOT provide any rationale for your answer.

JM

FED