Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
LL run down

OK.

R1 in a rundown between 1st & 2nd. Too many throws, but it's only LL. R1 slides safely (IMO) back to first, U1 immediately signals runner to take 2nd base.

I would have believed it was the correct call but Brent Musburger went out of his way to say it was a GREAT call.

What say you, wise baseball umps??
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Dan_ref,

Though I am most certainly NOT a "wise baseball ump", it appeared to me that the U1 made a proper Type A Obstruction call in awarding the runner 2B.

Was that Brent or Orel who kept referring to it as "Interference" (until someone "off mike" apparently clued him to the fact that "obstruction" might be a better word to use)?

JM
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Dan_ref,

Though I am most certainly NOT a "wise baseball ump", it appeared to me that the U1 made a proper Type A Obstruction call in awarding the runner 2B.

Was that Brent or Orel who kept referring to it as "Interference" (until someone "off mike" apparently clued him to the fact that "obstruction" might be a better word to use)?

JM
Brent kept calling it Interference, to which I kept yelling Obstruction. Maybe he heard me all the way in Williamsport.

That kid that was coaching 1st base had a better safe mechanic than most of the umpires I've seen so far!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Yeah, I got the obstruction vs interference part when they first said it, kinda led me to doubt them.

I would have thought he stayed at first because there wasn't defensive contact, but I've been edjukated now.

Thanks!
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Could somebody describe the obstruction and where it occured, for those of us who did not see it on the tube?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 01:08am

Okay Bob, I'll try to recreate it.

The runner got in a rundown between 1st and 2nd. They threw it back and forth to each other. The runner was obstructed going back into 1st by F4 just a few feet from 1st base. The contact was slight, as R1 had to alter his path. He still made it back to 1st safely on a fairly close play, not a banger. The umpire had already signaled time as soon as he saw the obstruction (type A), and then awarded R1 2nd base on the obstruction.

The kid who was coaching 1st must have thought the ump had called R1 out, because he frantically began signaling "safe" (good mechanics!) before the umpire awarded 2nd base.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

The kid who was coaching 1st must have thought the ump had called R1 out, because he frantically began signaling "safe" (good mechanics!) ...
The umpires in this kids local league should pat themselves on the back. We all know he didn't learn his good mechanics from watching the guys in W-port!
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
So this was in the LLWS? I sure hope that they would get this call correct, being that the umpires are the cream of the LL crop!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
So this was in the LLWS? I sure hope that they would get this call correct, being that the umpires are the cream of the LL crop!!
Bob, either you're joking or you haven't been watching the games. The cream of the crop ended their seasons at the Regionals.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Brent kept calling it Interference, to which I kept yelling Obstruction. Maybe he heard me all the way in Williamsport.

That kid that was coaching 1st base had a better safe mechanic than most of the umpires I've seen so far!
And Musberger was an ump in his early days.

Bob
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
You misspelled crop. You used an "o" instead of an "a".

Bob
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Now that is funny!!