The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Confused on PU Signals

I got bored with the Bos/Det game last night so I surfed to ESPN2 and caught some of the Eastern Regionals. I noticed that every swinging strike was "pointed to" then signaled.

The PU would point to the batter with his left hand then signal the strike with his right. Is this some new mechanic being taught? Is only a LL thing? Personally, I think that it is just another wasted signal!

By the way, I only use that mechanic on a check swing. I point to the batter with my left hand and say "Yes, you went" then signal the strike with my right.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I got bored with the Bos/Det game last night so I surfed to ESPN2 and caught some of the Eastern Regionals. I noticed that every swinging strike was "pointed to" then signaled.

The PU would point to the batter with his left hand then signal the strike with his right. Is this some new mechanic being taught? Is only a LL thing? Personally, I think that it is just another wasted signal!

By the way, I only use that mechanic on a check swing. I point to the batter with my left hand and say "Yes, you went" then signal the strike with my right.
Based on watching at least parts of all eight regional championships, including the other game played in Bristol, I think it's safe to say there is no organized or formal training of the "always point" mechanic.

Last night's game was an unfortunate conclusion to a series of regionals characterized by generally very competent umpiring with most crews exhibiting fairly standard mechanics. A few overly flamboyant plate mechanics, a few overly robotic softball-style mechanics, but overall most have agreed the level of umpiring was pretty good. Last night's crew was a throwback to the days of homegrown umpiring and awarding assignments based on years of service rather than years of trained experience.

I was watching the game while in an online chat with about a dozen other umpires, and the consensus was last night's game had the weakest crew (PU and U2 were the culprits, actually) of the 8 games televised over the last several days.