Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Original Question---
    Runner on 2nd is stealing 3rd, there is catcher interference & the throw goes into leftfield & the run scores.Is the batter still entitled to 1st on the interference by F2?

[SNIP]

3. Enforce the CI. In the play being described you would allow the steal of third by r2 and put B1 at first if you were playing by FED rules (FED rule 8-1-1e NOTE:1) If you are playing using OBR, r2 back to second B1 to first. OBR would allow a steal or squeeze involving a play at the plate (Ref 6.08c example 2)

Pete Booth
Pete, here is OBR Rule 7.04:
    Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when:
    (d) While he is attempting to steal a base, the batter is interfered with by the catcher or any other fielder.

As you can see, if as in the original situation, R2 were stealing 3rd then the batter was interfered with, the runner would be awarded 3rd base and batter 1st base if the penalty for the catcher interference in enforced. This is the SAME as Fed and not different as you state. R2 should not be sent back to 2nd base as you state.

Of course, the offensive coach may elect to take the result of the play instead of enforcing the penalty. I WILL bring that to his attention as an option rather than making him know it. That is preventative officiating.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Wink

PeteBooth,
I usually agree with you but I think your Point #3 may be incorrect as for OBR. In section 6.08C, (in italics) 2nd paragraph, Last sentence it says: Runners not attempting to steal or not force to advance remain on the base they occupied at the time of the interference. In this stitch,
R2 was stealing. So he would be awarded third Base. To sum it up, I believe the coach has 2 choices (OBR)
1) Result of the play. R2 scores and Batter still up.
2) R2 on 3rd and Batter on 1st.

What I have problems with is: If the Coach takes choice #1.
What do you call the pitch. Is it a no pitch - Is it a strike. What if the count was 3-2 and 2 outs. I don't believe the coach could take choice #1 because if he takes the play, the batter was the 3rd out (if indeed it is a strike)??? The problem is in OBR the book only provides examples when the batter makes contact with the ball (batter puts ball in play).
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by DrC.

PeteBooth,
I usually agree with you but I think your Point #3 may be incorrect as for OBR.

Yes, I made a mistake in OBR, however, because this is a rules interpretation I can Legally change after conferring with my colleagues.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Correcting the error

......and you can change your decision even if it was an opinion. Pete, it is YOUR decision to change. ;-)

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Original Question---
Runner on 2nd is stealing 3rd, there is catcher interference & the throw goes into leftfield & the run scores.Is the batter still entitled to 1st on the interference by F2?

The throw goes into leftfield? I assume the Batter swung and missed the pitch, the catcher
caught it and threw the ball away trying to catch the thieving R2.

In this case the ball would be instantly dead , the Batter is awarded 1st because of the
Interference, and R2 get 3rd because he was attempting to steal.

R2 cannot score on this play.

Mark…….
All of the above is wrong......Boy I tell you what I can say some of the stupidest things when I've been drinking..
(not really I don't even drink)All I can plead is insane,I read it quick and got it all mixed up.
Rich, Friex and eventually Pete all have it right,
sorry for the ignorant post.....Mark...

Old Thu Aug 09, 2001, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.

What I have problems with is: If the Coach takes choice #1.
What do you call the pitch. Is it a no pitch - Is it a strike. What if the count was 3-2 and 2 outs. I don't believe the coach could take choice #1 because if he takes the play, the batter was the 3rd out (if indeed it is a strike)??? The problem is in OBR the book only provides examples when the batter makes contact with the ball (batter puts ball in play).
If the coach takes the play, then the pitch counts. In the example you gave, the batter would be out. The coach would be fired. (and, yes, I know you can come up with some third-world situation where the out is the better choice).