The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
No offense, here, but he gave you a perfectly valid answer. I don't think he could have assumed that the real problem here was that you didn't understand fractions. Heck (and again, no offense intended - I normally expect very solid postings and opinions from you), my 8-year old knows that 1/3 is 0.333333333... I think it's fair for us to assume that you did too.
Do you consider this a valid answer: "Originally Posted by SAump
ERA = Earned Runs Allowed / Innings Pitched * 9 Innings

For more info, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_run_average"

This did NOT answer what I asked. The problem wasn't my not knowing fractions. I know fractions. But until I was shown the section of 10.22 that mentions fractions, I was unaware of using fractions in determining ERA, though I did use that system, because it made sense. But I couldn't find anything in print to validate it. I must take blame for not reading 10.22 more carefully earlier, because I hadn't noticed the mention of fractions.

Bob
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Complicated by age level difference?

Is this ERA stat only used to compare 9-inning games? Other leagues playing within appropriate age levels only allow 5, 6 or 7 inning ballgames. For example, a young child with a 6.00 ERA over 9-innings would lower his ERA to a 4.00 ERA over 6-innings. Shouldn't we adjust the ERA formula to match the number of innings at each particular age level?
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Is this ERA stat only used to compare 9-inning games? Other leagues playing within appropriate age levels only allow 5, 6 or 7 inning ballgames. For example, a young child with a 6.00 ERA over 9-innings would lower his ERA to a 4.00 ERA over 6-innings. Shouldn't we adjust the ERA formula to match the number of innings at each particular age level?
Of course we would adjust.