The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Zecherieh
I have just stumbled across this forum, and have read 15 or so of the recent threads. I have noticed a few names already that seem to understand the job of an ump, but the most seem to be making a big deal out of nothing that really will ever happen - and when the impossible happens, you just make the call like you know everything and the managers, players, and fans are going to believe you.

Figure this, if you do not know how to make a call - you can bet that nobody else around you has a clue also. A good little league ump knows more about the rules than 90% of the people involved in MLB.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 08:26pm
Veteran College Umpire

Short and sweet for you. Umpire for 20 years, get to know the game AND the rules, and if you're lucky you'll get to know some MLB umpires for whom you'll have a great deal of respect for their level of expertise. But it'll take you 20 years.

Anybody can write here about the infield fly rule. It's a lot more educational to pick knowledgeable brains for the whys and wherefores of situations. I'd rather be able to explain a call by the book than try to bluff my way through a situation in a big game.

P.s. They're all big games.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Hold 'er there, Zack! Cut us some slack!

Zack:

I know on some occasions we tend to wander down some weird paths on our search for great umpiring truths. Just be patient, absorb which ones interest you, and pass off the rest.
We have several members of each type of personality you can imagine, and sometimes it gets to be a tad frustrating when trying to sift through lengthy postings, especially if there are personal "vendettas" being promoted.
When I first joined this fanatical group, I too was dismayed by what seemed to be various factions attacking each other. I posed the situation of four man crews consisting of two from each group, and asked what the mixed chemistry might produce. Hayes Davis responded with the thought that it would probably work out fine, as both groups would discover that with the chips down, all of the members of each group would prove to be capable umpires, worthy of working with each other, and doing a competent job.
Keep in mind that MOST of the people involved in the forum are interested in improving their umpiring, although the means to the end can sometimes be frustrating for the newer participants.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2001, 06:13pm
Michael Taylor

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever gotten was listen to everything that more experienced officials say. Some will be right, some will be wrong and from that take what you want and incorporate it into your game. The boards are much the same. Read everything, some will work for you some won't. All in all it will make you better at what you do. If you look at a situation from several different directions you will be more confident in what you call.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2001, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Zecherieh

I have just stumbled across this forum, and have read 15 or so of the recent threads. I have noticed a few names already that seem to understand the job of an ump, but the most seem to be making a big deal out of nothing that really will ever happen - and when the impossible happens, you just make the call like you know everything and the managers, players, and fans are going to believe you.

Figure this, if you do not know how to make a call - you can bet that nobody else around you has a clue also. A good little league ump knows more about the rules than 90% of the people involved in MLB.

What the message Boards teach us is to read the rule book and other materials. You'd be surprised at how many umpires do not even pick up a rule book and think they know it all.

If you visit eTeamz, Jim Booth has put together a list of 40 myths. Again, you would be surprised at how many individuals (both coaches an umpires) think these myths are fact rather than fiction.

How many times have you heard "Hey Blue the runner MUST slde" or the hands are part of the bat.

While I will agree that some threads go on a little longer than expected, especially dealing with situations that probably will not happen until "h**l freezes over", but the point is to get you to think, pick up a rule book and ultimately gain some knowledge.

As with anything in life, take that which interests you and improves you as an umpire and discard those that don't.

Personally, I do not mind any good discussion and differences of opinion on plays that probably will never happen. What I dislike more than anything is threads that result in flamewars as ultimately that destroys any good thread even if well intended.

Also, you mentioned LL and if you umpire LL, you better read up the rule-book because that's the place where one would most likely see anything happen.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Aug 20, 2001, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
With the number of umpires you can meet on the internet, many of them are bound to have experienced third world plays. Watching the discussion of those can expose some rule nuances, the history of a particular rule or at least the application properly there of, even in normal circumstances. This is true even when watching the battles that go between grizzled veterans of differing opionions.

Bob
Old Mon Aug 20, 2001, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Originally posted by Zecherieh

What the message Boards teach us is to read the rule book and other materials. You'd be surprised at how many umpires do not even pick up a rule book and think they know it all.

If you visit eTeamz, Jim Booth has put together a list of 40 myths. Again, you would be surprised at how many individuals (both coaches an umpires) think these myths are fact rather than fiction.

How many times have you heard "Hey Blue the runner MUST slde" or the hands are part of the bat.

While I will agree that some threads go on a little longer than expected, especially dealing with situations that probably will not happen until "h**l freezes over", but the point is to get you to think, pick up a rule book and ultimately gain some knowledge.

As with anything in life, take that which interests you and improves you as an umpire and discard those that don't.

Personally, I do not mind any good discussion and differences of opinion on plays that probably will never happen. What I dislike more than anything is threads that result in flamewars as ultimately that destroys any good thread even if well intended.

Also, you mentioned LL and if you umpire LL, you better read up the rule-book because that's the place where one would most likely see anything happen.

Pete Booth
Quoting your whole reply, cause I wish I had said that.
This message board and the individuals on it do make
you think and review the rules. Great reply Pete....

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.