View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 20, 2001, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Zecherieh

I have just stumbled across this forum, and have read 15 or so of the recent threads. I have noticed a few names already that seem to understand the job of an ump, but the most seem to be making a big deal out of nothing that really will ever happen - and when the impossible happens, you just make the call like you know everything and the managers, players, and fans are going to believe you.

Figure this, if you do not know how to make a call - you can bet that nobody else around you has a clue also. A good little league ump knows more about the rules than 90% of the people involved in MLB.

What the message Boards teach us is to read the rule book and other materials. You'd be surprised at how many umpires do not even pick up a rule book and think they know it all.

If you visit eTeamz, Jim Booth has put together a list of 40 myths. Again, you would be surprised at how many individuals (both coaches an umpires) think these myths are fact rather than fiction.

How many times have you heard "Hey Blue the runner MUST slde" or the hands are part of the bat.

While I will agree that some threads go on a little longer than expected, especially dealing with situations that probably will not happen until "h**l freezes over", but the point is to get you to think, pick up a rule book and ultimately gain some knowledge.

As with anything in life, take that which interests you and improves you as an umpire and discard those that don't.

Personally, I do not mind any good discussion and differences of opinion on plays that probably will never happen. What I dislike more than anything is threads that result in flamewars as ultimately that destroys any good thread even if well intended.

Also, you mentioned LL and if you umpire LL, you better read up the rule-book because that's the place where one would most likely see anything happen.

Pete Booth