The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 27, 2001, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I've been to clinics where you are taught to say "he didn't go", "he went", "safe, off the bag" to make certain calls. There are times I have expanded these calls to avoid issues with coaches. For example "safe, he's under the tag" "safe, he dropped the ball" or "out, he blocked the base". So far, no arguments or discussions because the coaches and players know why I made the call if they weren't sure of what happened from their vantage point. Do other umps do this or am I going a bit too far?

Ed H
Old Sat Jul 28, 2001, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Yes, other umps do it.
It helps sell certain calls. The added commentary can explain your call and what you saw and keep a complaining coach off the field.

Life is unexciting when I'm stuck with merely fair/foul, safe/out, and ball/strike.

Freix
Old Sun Jul 29, 2001, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by edhern
I've been to clinics where you are taught to say "he didn't go", "he went", "safe, off the bag" to make certain calls. There are times I have expanded these calls to avoid issues with coaches. For example "safe, he's under the tag" "safe, he dropped the ball" or "out, he blocked the base". So far, no arguments or discussions because the coaches and players know why I made the call if they weren't sure of what happened from their vantage point. Do other umps do this or am I going a bit too far?

Ed H
Ed:

In my clinics I teach the very minimum language for calls. You're better of with: safe; out; yes, he went; no, he didn't go; he's out on the tag (repeated as needed).

The problems are legion:

1. You may become confused and SAY the wrong thing.
  2. Coaches, players, or fans may misunderstand what you say.
  3. You may become so interested in "explaining" a call that you miss a follow-up call at another base.

Once you start "broadcasting" calls (on a pick-off play, "No, he's back!" for example), it's just a small step to describing the pitches: "Ball, a little outside." "Strike, right on the corner!" You're not Vince Scully. Stick to the traditional comments, and leave the talking to the radio announcers.

BTW: Professional umpires don't say: "Safe! He's off the bag!" They say "Safe!" and signal the fielder is off the bag by putting both open hands together and making a broad, sweeping gesture away from the body. (I go "right to left," but I've seen wrong-handers do it the other way.)

Old Sun Jul 29, 2001, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Carl:
I would never advocate commentary with ball and strike calls because that is asking for trouble. When your out there on second base and there is a real banger that you know people 200 feet away are not going to see clearly it sometimes doesn't hurt. We must not forget that this isn't the pros, it is youth and summer baseball and you get a ton of crap about everything right or wrong. If your calling someone out for something you had a much better look at, you're sure, and you think it might help, it doesn't seem to hurt. They still don't have to agree with you, but at they know why you make the call. If it is simply judgement, I agree, make the safe or out call and leave it at that.

Ed H
Old Sun Jul 29, 2001, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by edhern

Ed H
Ed:

In my clinics I teach the very minimum language for calls. You're better of with: safe; out; yes, he went; no, he didn't go; he's out on the tag (repeated as needed).

The problems are legion:

1. You may become confused and SAY the wrong thing.
  2. Coaches, players, or fans may misunderstand what you say.
  3. You may become so interested in "explaining" a call that you miss a follow-up call at another base.

Once you start "broadcasting" calls (on a pick-off play, "No, he's back!" for example), it's just a small step to describing the pitches: "Ball, a little outside." "Strike, right on the corner!" You're not Vince Scully. Stick to the traditional comments, and leave the talking to the radio announcers.

BTW: Professional umpires don't say: "Safe! He's off the bag!" They say "Safe!" and signal the fielder is off the bag by putting both open hands together and making a broad, sweeping gesture away from the body. (I go "right to left," but I've seen wrong-handers do it the other way.)

I agree with Carl. One time I said "safe he beat the throw", and the coach got irrate. He said "What do you mean he beat the throw. He might have missed the tag but there is know way in hell that he beat the throw."

Ever since this incident I do what Carl suggests- that is I just call safe or out. This really worked well for me last week. I made a safe call by just saying,"Safe". The coach started screaming at me and I just ignored him and went back to my position. I will only talk to coaches between innings and only if they insist.

Greg