The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Fair or foul?

OK, sitch: R1 and R3, pop-up near the foul line at first....the ball is caught in foul territory- out, or foul ball?

Anyway, onto serious things....a couple of things have come up in games recently.

BALKS-
Today my partner called a balk on an LHP with me in B. Pitcher, on rubber, goes to back pocket, grabs seeds, and throws them into his mouth. Partner balks him for going to the mouth. I didn't say anything, as it looked like the pitcher went to the mouth but I saw that he didn't make contact. Do you balk or no?

Second balk- Pitcher has been very close to not stopping a few times tonight. I hear the kid, who's not that bright, tell his catcher that as soon as the batter steps in, he's delivering. So the kid does, but doesn't even come close to a stop in the high set. I balk him, kid can't believe it, is absolutely sure he stopped. I tossed this kid 2 innings later for sucker-punching a kid at first.

CHECK SWINGS-
On a check swing, do you call it based on the attempt or the broken wrists? I had a batter today with me in C, checks the swing, does not break the wrists, but it seems like he wanted to go. On appeal, I punch him out, coach isn't happy, saying the bat head didn't break. I told him I know, it's the intent to swing. Did I nail it or kick it?
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
BALKS-
Today my partner called a balk on an LHP with me in B. Pitcher, on rubber, goes to back pocket, grabs seeds, and throws them into his mouth. Partner balks him for going to the mouth. I didn't say anything, as it looked like the pitcher went to the mouth but I saw that he didn't make contact. Do you balk or no?
calling a balk for going to the mouth is a sure way to lose a protest. b-a-l-L not b-a-l-K.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

According to "40 Rules Myths", the breaking of the wrists should not be a factor is a batter swings.

Doesn't FED still penalize going to the mouth as a balk with runners on? It wasn't stated whether this was an OBR game or a FED game.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Don't allow a quick pitch

Quote:
OK, sitch: R1 and R3, pop-up near the foul line at first....the ball is caught in foul territory- out, or foul ball?

Anyway, onto serious things....a couple of things have come up in games recently.

BALKS-

Second balk- Pitcher has been very close to not stopping a few times tonight. I hear the kid, who's not that bright, tell his catcher that as soon as the batter steps in, he's delivering. So the kid does, but doesn't even come close to a stop in the high set. I balk him, kid can't believe it, is absolutely sure he stopped. I tossed this kid 2 innings later for sucker-punching a kid at first.

CHECK SWINGS-
On a check swing, do you call it based on the attempt or the broken wrists? I had a batter today with me in C, checks the swing, does not break the wrists, but it seems like he wanted to go. On appeal, I punch him out, coach isn't happy, saying the bat head didn't break. I told him I know, it's the intent to swing. Did I nail it or kick it?

As far as the kid not stopping, don't allow a quick pitch. Use a stop sign or send F2 out to talk to the pitcher and let him know that you don't want a pitch until the batter is ready.

This prevents a dangerous play and having to call an unnecessary balk.

But if F1 simply don't stop, call it everytime.

Calling a balk for a kid putting sunflower seeds in his mouth
Thats poor officiating.

I put that with the kid who wants to rub up a ball after you throw it to him and he grabs some dirt etc.,

A good (game management) umpire will intercept the action, get the ball rub it down and give F1 an education in the process.

As some have said don't be OOO, simply umpire the game.

Good luck

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Assuming OBR rules... Balk for going to the mouth? That is simply wrong... just like BB&DK said.

Check swing appeals... if you think he offered at the pitch, it's a strike. If not, it's a ball. The "breaking the wrist", "bat head in front of the plate" and all other McCarverisms are simply false. (Unless you're using NCAA rules in which the bat head crossing the front hip is an automatic)

BTW- don't let the coach approach you to argue a check swing appeal... that's arguing balls and strikes and by rule if he leaves his position to do so, you warn then if he continues, the umpire shall eject the offender.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Assuming OBR rules... Balk for going to the mouth? That is simply wrong... just like BB&DK said.

Check swing appeals... if you think he offered at the pitch, it's a strike. If not, it's a ball. The "breaking the wrist", "bat head in front of the plate" and all other McCarverisms are simply false. (Unless you're using NCAA rules in which the bat head crossing the front hip is an automatic)

BTW- don't let the coach approach you to argue a check swing appeal... that's arguing balls and strikes and by rule if he leaves his position to do so, you warn then if he continues, the umpire shall eject the offender.
FED rules...the pitcher had been whining all game long (he obviously got it from his coaches), and from behind the plate, it would obviously look like he went to the mouth. From C, I could see he didn't, but I wasn't going to help the kid.

Also, on the check swing, the bat head did not cross the plate, but from C (which is a tough spot for a right-handed batter), it appeared the attempt was there. It was the third out, and the coach got in a few words as he crossed the field, nothing really out of the ordinary.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Going to a pocket for seeds while ON THE RUBBER ???

Balk all day!
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm naive but where in the rulebook does it say that going to the mouth while on the rubber is a balk? According to 8.02(a)(1), a pitcher is not allowed to bring his hand to him mouth BUT the penalty is for the umpire to call a ball. Is this a FED rule that I am unaware of?
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnblu

Balk all day!
He is on the rubber to pitch. If he wants seeds, disengage the rubber first.

"Wait a minute fellahs, batter just go ahead and step out for a second, I gotta get some seeds."

Sheesh.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnblu

Balk all day!
I don't see how bringing his pitching hand around to his back pocket to get some seeds can be considered a balk in and of itself. Now, had he had his hands together and broke them without disengaging I can see it, but there's not enough information in the OP to suggest that's what happened.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpNW
Maybe I'm naive but where in the rulebook does it say that going to the mouth while on the rubber is a balk? According to 8.02(a)(1), a pitcher is not allowed to bring his hand to him mouth BUT the penalty is for the umpire to call a ball. Is this a FED rule that I am unaware of?
FED 6-2-4 (c)
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I don't see how bringing his pitching hand around to his back pocket to get some seeds can be considered a balk in and of itself. Now, had he had his hands together and broke them without disengaging I can see it, but there's not enough information in the OP to suggest that's what happened.

Tim.
Balk wasn't called for going for seeds, it was for going to mouth to ingest said seeds. Hands were never together, never came to a set, just went to the mouth while engaged with the rubber.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:39pm

Since we now know it was FED rules, it would be a balk only if he didn't wipe his pitching hand before it touches the ball. If he failed to wipe his salty hand before touching the ball, it is a balk, and not at all OOO, but the proper call by rule. 6-2-4(c).

That being said, it is still dumb to go for seeds while engaged to the rubber.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Since we now know it was FED rules, it would be a balk only if he didn't wipe his pitching hand before it touches the ball. If he failed to wipe his salty hand before touching the ball, it is a balk, and not at all OOO, but the proper call by rule. 6-2-4(c).

That being said, it is still dumb to go for seeds while engaged to the rubber.
Did not wipe, went from seeds to ball....so thanks for clarifying that it was a good call.

And if you saw this kid, you'd know why he did it....not exactly the greenest grass on the field if you know what I mean.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

BALKS-

CHECK SWINGS-
In FED it's a balk to bring your pitching hand to the mouth while on the rubber, but I think it would be OOO to call it for popping some seeds. In OBR it would be a ball, if called.

Second one, call the balk for not stopping.

Breaking wrists is not a factor. Did he attempt to strike sufficiently to call a strike. High speed video shows that most major league called balls on check swings actually were strikes so if a major leaguer can't stop his bat what makes the me think a kid can. If the bat head gets over the top of the plate I call it a strike. I don't call intent. Anytime someone started a swing there was intent.