The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

1BLX or 3BLX

I watched Nick Swisher, Oakland A's, hit an inside the park homerun last week on TV. The BU was on the 1BL inside the diamond to make the call at the plate. This got me to thinking of my own mechanic. I seem to gravitate towards the 1BLX on all plays at home. I know this is not always the best place to be. Can you please give me some game situations where I should use the other plate positions?
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:30pm

I have a hard time going over to 3BLX myself, but I have been forcing myself to learn. On throws from F9 and on passed balls/wild pitches that take the catcher to the 3rd base side of the backstop are 2 cases for 3BLX that I have found helpful. Sometimes setting up off the point of the plate, and then adjusting accordingly is the best way to go, from what I've heard. I have worked on that mechanic too. It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks sometimes, but I'm always open to learning new things.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I find myself going 1BLX if the throw is coming from the 3rd base side of play and 3BLX if the throw is coming from the 1st base side. Having never had the opportunity to attend a clinic I'm not sure it this is the "approved" mechanic but it seems to work for me and I feel confident that the angles are good.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

i get to the point of the plate and adjust from there, using it as a pivot point i guess you could call it.

if im working younger players, they tend to just slide straight into the plate so ill end up towards 1BLX with them. for older players, i get to the point and most likely am going to end up in 3BLX because they are a bit smarter and try to slide inside/outside and grab the plate at the last second while being swiped at. 3BLX is a great position to see those types of plays
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Actually

Here is how our association teaches the mechanic, which matches what they do in MLB...

If the throw is coming from F7;
You go to the edge of the dirt circle, 3rd Base Line extended, and let the throw draw you in about 6 feet from the play.
If the throw is coming from F9;
You go to the edge of the dirt circle, 1st Base Line extended, and let the throw draw you in about 6 feet from the play.
If the throw is coming in from F8;
You decided which side of the center line the throw is coming from, and position accordingly, based on the two descriptions above.
Now personally, I think this is the worst mechanic in umpiring. It puts the catcher between the umpire an the play. Basically blocking your view. I have seen many partners working the plate, not see a missed tag or dropped ball in these positions. Especially 3rd Base Line extended.

For plays at the plate, I prefer the Old School mechanic. Stand a few feet in Foul territory, far enough up the 3rd Base Line to see the Plate, and into the catcher. From here, you can see everything. I use the newer mechanics described above, EVEN THOUGH I HATE THEM, because I was dinged a couple of years ago during an evaluation for not using them.

Nick
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:02pm

Nick, are you sure you don't have 1BLX and 3BLX switched around there? I thought balls coming from right field were supposed to be 3BLX. That's how I see the TV guys do it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

A rule of thumb I was told was, maneuver to place yourself perpendicular to the throw.

So 3BLX for a throw from RF, 1BLX for a throw from LF.

Sadly, in the excitement of a plate play I dont always remember that
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
A rule of thumb I was told was, maneuver to place yourself perpendicular to the throw.

So 3BLX for a throw from RF, 1BLX for a throw from LF.

Sadly, in the excitement of a plate play I dont always remember that
It's easier to remember (imho) if you think, "If F2 misses this throw, I don't want to get hit." Self preservation has a way of getting you to the "right" spot. (And, of course, the play can break down so the the "right spot" becomes the "wrong spot")