The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

As a Little League umpire for a few years, a recent team in an all-star tournament has brought about such a vigorous intensity in their dugout, I question whether their chatter becomes too distracting to the pitcher of the opposing team. Here's the scoop: While the offensive team is at bat, the remaining players of that team get up against their dugout fence, and scream their own batter's name or nickname in an effort to rally behind him. However, their banter seems to share the same volume of a jet engine, which can lead to the defensive team not only being distracted, but not being able to hear communication from each other or from the coaches. The chatter then continues through the entire wind-up and delivery of the pitcher. Now I realize the defense can chatter "Hey Batter Batter!" but in our league, the chatter or yelling of "Swing" must come to a stop before the release of the pitcher, as to not be distracting to the batter. Therefore, I wonder if the offensive chattering previously stated should be stopped after the pitcher gets ready to deliver, even though the chatter isn't directed toward the defensive team. Let me know what you think...
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Tell them it reminds you of Girl's Softball ! ! !

A good time to address this pain in the posterior would be during the pre-game with both managers. The subject of "trash talk" leads right into "verbal interference" and both Managers can understand where you stand on the issue.
I can live with "chatter" in the younger groups, but the shavers definitely need to grow out of it.
My suggestion to the puzzled looks is to watch an NCAA game or the College World Series and see how much chatter goes on.
If a team complains, I'll go to the other team's Manager and direct him to stop all comments once the Pitcher starts his motion. If chatter persists, strikes become balls until it ceases. Only once in the past season did I have to enforce this, and it took two calls to get his attention. From there on, real baseball was played, to the enjoyment of all.
It puzzles me how some Managers try to get an edge by "Bush League" tactics instead of coaching the kids on proper baseball fundamentals.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 10:42pm
In Memoriam

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralphus84

Now I realize the defense can chatter "Hey Batter Batter!" but in our league, the chatter or yelling of "Swing" must come to a stop before the release of the pitcher, as to not be distracting to the batter.

Little League doesn't like that, Ralph... when the defense is saying something to the batter. That should be discouraged.

Therefore, I wonder if the offensive chattering previously stated should be stopped after the pitcher gets ready to deliver, even though the chatter isn't directed toward the defensive team. Let me know what you think...

I do not disallow chatter, but when the dugout starts rattlin' the chain links, I ask them to stop.
mick

Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

I never let a team address players on the opposition by name, position or number. Or to do anything distracting such as rattling fences, etc. It's not part of the game, and doesn't belong.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

LL Rulebook - Section 2 - Definitions
The rule book defines "Interference as any act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders, or CONFUSES any fielder attempting to make a play." The rulebook (same paragraph) then states that that "If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was, in the judgement of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules."
Appears to me as though you can call the batter out. I do like the way Senior handled it, calling two straight balls rather than the dramatic 'OUT'.