The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Today in my game a batter had his foot behind home plate. The coach complained that he can't put his foot there because it is part of the catcher's box. Is there anything illegal about the batter having his foot not on but behind home plate? In the scenario that I am speaking of, I would imagine that if the batter's box was perfectly drawn and visible, the back foot would be mostly outside the lines of the batter's box with the heal on the chalk line of the interior side (closest to the plate) of the batter's box.

I didn't really know what to say to the coach because 7-3-1 states that the batter only needs one foot in the batter's box. With this rule in mind, it would seem to me that if one foot is in the box, it doesn't matter if the back foot is either partially or completely out of the box just so long as, that at the time of the hit, he has at least both feet partially within the batter's box(so as not to be in violation of 7-3-2)

Greg
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
Today in my game a batter had his foot behind home plate. The coach complained that he can't put his foot there because it is part of the catcher's box. Is there anything illegal about the batter having his foot not on but behind home plate? In the scenario that I am speaking of, I would imagine that if the batter's box was perfectly drawn and visible, the back foot would be mostly outside the lines of the batter's box with the heal on the chalk line of the interior side (closest to the plate) of the batter's box.

I didn't really know what to say to the coach because 7-3-1 states that the batter only needs one foot in the batter's box. With this rule in mind, it would seem to me that if one foot is in the box, it doesn't matter if the back foot is either partially or completely out of the box just so long as, that at the time of the hit, he has at least both feet partially within the batter's box(so as not to be in violation of 7-3-2)

Greg
When the batter takes his position in the box, both feet must be completely in the box. As hehits the ball, no foo can be completely out of the box, or on the plate.

See the difference?
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Greg, read FED rule 7-1-1

Each player of the team at bat shall become the batter and shall take his position within a batter's box, on either side of home plate.

Within the batter's box means that both feet have to be in the box prior to the pitch.

OBR Equivalent 6.03 The batter's legal position shall be with both feet within the batter's box

FED rule 7-3-1 is about delaying the game. In FED, which IMO the PROS should adopt, they do not want the batter constantly stepping out, getting the sign and dilly dallying.

FED rule 7-3-2 is referring to the batter hitting the ball.

However, when B1 first takes his position in the box he must be within meaning both feet have to be in the box.

Now reality: Most fields we umpire in are not properly lined, so you as the UIC use your best judgement as to where the lines are. If coach is giving you a hard time - warn and say coach there's no lines here and I'm using my best judgement. IMO, the coach is trying to goat you into a call in his favor. Once he knows you are not taking the bait , he will stop.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

However, when B1 first takes his position in the box he must be within meaning both feet have to be in the box.

Now reality: Most fields we umpire in are not properly lined, so you as the UIC use your best judgement as to where the lines are. If coach is giving you a hard time - warn and say coach there's no lines here and I'm using my best judgement. IMO, the coach is trying to goat you into a call in his favor. Once he knows you are not taking the bait , he will stop.

Pete Booth [/B][/QUOTE]

What is the violation for breaking this rule?
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

What is the violation for breaking this rule?

If B1 refuses to comply then the violation is ejection.

Remember the Carl Everette fiasco? He got tossed for this very issue.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Haven of misinformation

Why would anyone be talking about FED rules in July? Mental block! Mental block!

greeee...you need to do penance for your bad post. What if some poor unsuspecting NEW umpire would have read your post... yikes. One foot? 2 feet... FED and OBR.

Of course there is not batters box. But even I (yes I) know that the plate is at least 6 inches away from the box, so if the foot is BEHIND the plate... let me do the math.. OH yeah, that foot is OUT of the batters box.. WINNER!

Prescribed mechanic:

Ump: Hey you, batter, get your feet in the batters box

Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Haven of misinformation

Originally posted by BJ Moose

Why would anyone be talking about FED rules in July? Mental block! Mental block!

Moose in summer ball, most leagues have a quasi set of rules. They use mostly OBR but have adopted the FED slide get around rule, The FED Force play slide rule - which I especially like - anytime I can get 2 for the price of 1 I'll take it and the FED DH rule. Everything else is OBR based.

So even in the summer there is still some presence of FED. IMO they should all use FED but thats me.

Hey Seattle is doing great. Just think they lost The Big Unit, Griffey and AROD and all they have is the best record in baseball.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Haven of misinformation

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Originally posted by BJ Moose

Moose in summer ball, most leagues have a quasi set of rules. They use mostly OBR but have adopted the FED slide get around rule, The FED Force play slide rule - which I especially like - anytime I can get 2 for the price of 1 I'll take it and the FED DH rule. Everything else is OBR based.

So even in the summer there is still some presence of FED. IMO they should all use FED but thats me.

Hey Seattle is doing great. Just think they lost The Big Unit, Griffey and AROD and all they have is the best record in baseball.

Pete Booth
In the summer time for HS ball we just use Fed rules. Which leagues use OBR?

Old Fri Jul 20, 2001, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Here's how I handle coaches that constantly cry about the batter's box...

Had a game this year where the coach had the catcher reminding me about a batter that was close to being out of the box. I told him I would keep an eye on it....

0-0, cockshot "Ball"
Catcher, "where was that Will?"
"I dunno, I was watching the batter's feet"
"Gotcha, Coach it was outside"

No more chirping.

Your mileage may vary.
Will
Old Sun Jul 22, 2001, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badbamaump
Here's how I handle coaches that constantly cry about the batter's box...

Had a game this year where the coach had the catcher reminding me about a batter that was close to being out of the box. I told him I would keep an eye on it....

0-0, cockshot "Ball"
Catcher, "where was that Will?"
"I dunno, I was watching the batter's feet"
"Gotcha, Coach it was outside"

No more chirping.

Your mileage may vary.
Will
Great Suggestion!