The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Visit To Mound And Other things

1. Before the inning the coach goes out to the field and positions his players and gives his pitcher a quick talk.

Would this be considered a visit?

2. Also does the pitcher have to wear two color of the same socks?

Thanks,

Ted
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Ted,

1. No, this would not be considered a visit unless the umpire judged that he unduly delayed the start of the half-inning.

2. Technically, the pitcher may wear a different color sock on each foot/leg as long as all of his teammates do the same. As to whether you require they all wear the (let's say) green sock on the left leg & the yellow on the right, or whether it is more properly dictated by the "handedness" of the player, I can't find an authoritative ruling, so I don't know.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Wed May 31, 2006 at 02:53pm.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruberted
1. Before the inning the coach goes out to the field and positions his players and gives his pitcher a quick talk.

Under NF rules this is not considered a visit if the coach does not delay the start of the inning. There was a casebook play about this at one time, not sure it is still there. I am sure someone will look it up soon. I am sure the same is true under NCAA rules as well.

Quote:
I know of no such rule that requires such a thing other than being in the proper uniform. If the uniform rule is the issue, it has nothing to do with the pitcher alone. All players would be in violation. Other than that I do not see any reason to make a big deal over this issue.

Peace
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 03:10pm

Quote:

Rut is correct, and it is the same in OBR. As long as the coach does not delay the start of the inning he can talk to the pitcher. They still only get one minute to complete the conference/warm-up pitches.

Quote:
A couple of Saturdays ago, I had a Pony League game where the pitcher and catcher each had one red and one blue sock, on a team with red, white, and blue as their primary colors. I think it would have been OOO to have told them to change. Unless the opposing coach gets nit-picky with it, in which case he had better not violate one single rule the entire game.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Unless the opposing coach gets nit-picky with it, in which case he had better not violate one single rule the entire game.
Coach, you kidding me, right?
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Coach, you kidding me, right?
I wouldn't put it past some of the coaches out here. Take my game tonight for example. Working solo, bases loaded, 0 outs, can of corn to left-center. I'm lining up the catch and the tag at 3rd, and then glancing quickly to 2nd for that tag also. The run came in to score, and the throw went to 3rd, but R2 was safe there. R1 moved up to 2nd on the throw. The coach had his pitcher appeal the tag-up at 1st base.

After the game, I discovered that I was parked next to that coach, and I asked him how come he appealed first base, when I was watching the catch, the tag at 3rd, and quickly checking the tag at 2nd, and that working solo I would have no clue as to when the runner at 1st left. He said, "yeah, I know, I was just hoping maybe you saw him out of your peripheral vision."
Oooooooooooooookay.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
It amazes me that anyone really cares about color of socks. If a coach even mentioned something like that to me, I would tell him to be careful what he asks for.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Had a rat try this one a few weeks ago:

R1 and R2, fly to right, I'm PU. BU goes out to get the catch, I'm watching runners. None of them even remotely come close to leaving early, I hear the rat in the dugout quickly start talking about appealing to 1B, which they do and I call safe. They look out at PU confused as to why HE didn't call it.

Apparently, they were only doing it to cause trouble since they saw his back was to the play and figured it was his call. Can't wait to have him again this weekend...I doubt he'll see the end of the game this time around.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Thanks,

Ted
I had a coach start for the mound on the pitcher's fourth warmup (of 5, FED rules) during a regional game earlier this week. I told him to not go out there or I'd charge him with a trip. There was no way he wasn't going to delay the start of the inning and I didn't want to have to charge him unless that's what he really wanted. He didn't, but he was annoyed I wouldn't let him go out there "for free."
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35
Had a rat try this one a few weeks ago:

R1 and R2, fly to right, I'm PU. BU goes out to get the catch, I'm watching runners. None of them even remotely come close to leaving early, I hear the rat in the dugout quickly start talking about appealing to 1B, which they do and I call safe. They look out at PU confused as to why HE didn't call it.

Apparently, they were only doing it to cause trouble since they saw his back was to the play and figured it was his call. Can't wait to have him again this weekend...I doubt he'll see the end of the game this time around.
Okay, I'm going to assume (very risky) that your partner really didn't "go out" to the outfield on this play. If he did, then he has blown his coverage. His responsibility was to line up the catch and the tag at 2nd base, and to glance at the tag up at 1st base. He should have been over close to the edge of the infield grass near the shortstop area to line up the catch and tag. Your coverage should have been to get to 3rd base for the possible advance of R2. It was, using regular mechanics, the BU call on the retouch at 1st base (lower priority than the retouch of 2nd), as well as any play on R1 at 1st or 2nd, and on R2 at 2nd.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
...it is the same in OBR. As long as the coach does not delay the start of the inning he can talk to the pitcher. They still only get one minute to complete the conference/warm-up pitches.

so, under this logic, you would allow the coach to go to the mound at the start of each inning and let him chat with his pitcher during warmups, provided he's out of there before delaying the start of the inning?

if you can find me an OBR passage that supoports that then i'll buy it. until then, whenever he goes to the mound, provided they haven't invited me along for an injury session, i'm charging them with a trip.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35

i can honestly say i don't see anything right in this post. BU going out from infield in 2 man system? not good. PU calling runner safe on appeal? not good. and i assume this is a typo, "They look out at PU confused as to why HE didn't call it," and you meant to say BU. i'd look at you confused, too, if you, the PU, called anyone safe on appeal on this play.

SDSteve had it right, you, as the PU, should have been up the 3B line for the tag and advance of R2 into 3B. everything else belongs to BU.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
so, under this logic, you would allow the coach to go to the mound at the start of each inning and let him chat with his pitcher during warmups, provided he's out of there before delaying the start of the inning?

if you can find me an OBR passage that supoports that then i'll buy it. until then, whenever he goes to the mound, provided they haven't invited me along for an injury session, i'm charging them with a trip.
There is nothing in OBR, JEA, J/R, MLBUM, or NAPBL manuals which confirm or deny this practice. The closest thing is that you can't make a 2nd trip while the same batter is at bat without removing the pitcher. This infers that the first trip was made while the batter was at bat, and not prior to him being announced. Batters are not considered announced until after the pitcher has completed his preparatory pitches.

I have read no language that considers a pre-inning conference to be a trip to the mound, so I allow it. If the coach delays the pitcher from completing his warm ups, I go by the one-minute rule and tell the catcher to send it down. Then if the coach squawks, I hit him with a trip and then he can have a real conference.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

i think there's no language because a trip is a trip is a trip. no matter what the circumstances are of when he goes, by going out there he has met the requirements of what defines a trip.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
There is nothing in OBR, JEA, J/R, MLBUM, or NAPBL manuals which confirm or deny this practice. The closest thing is that you can't make a 2nd trip while the same batter is at bat without removing the pitcher. This infers that the first trip was made while the batter was at bat, and not prior to him being announced. Batters are not considered announced until after the pitcher has completed his preparatory pitches.

I have read no language that considers a pre-inning conference to be a trip to the mound, so I allow it. If the coach delays the pitcher from completing his warm ups, I go by the one-minute rule and tell the catcher to send it down. Then if the coach squawks, I hit him with a trip and then he can have a real conference.
bobby and Steve,

The only thing I have been able to find is the BRD #144 CONFERENCES: CHARGED TO DEFENSE: BETWEEN HALF INNINGS. Carl C. references a communication with the late Barney Deary from 12/85:

Quote:
Deary: If such a "conference" delays the game: Following the first delay, the umpire should warn the coach that on the next delay he will be charged with a trip to the mound. A team must be warned once per game before the penalty is invoked.
Carl also references a FED ruling that says it is allowed if there is no delay and that NCAA provides "no provisions".

On the "different colored socks" question, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger seem to offer conflicting opinions, so I don't know what to think.

JM