The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Umpire Interference/ CA NCS Final, Bellarmine vs. Valley Christian-San Jose (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26794-umpire-interference-ca-ncs-final-bellarmine-vs-valley-christian-san-jose.html)

RPatrino Mon May 29, 2006 06:21pm

Umpire Interference/ CA CCS Final, Bellarmine vs. Valley Christian-San Jose

Folks,

I heard a radio news report concerning this game and I was wondering if anyone was there and saw it.

Bottom 7, tied game. Bellarmine has runners on 1st and 2nd. Shot up the middle HITS the umpire, runner from 2nd scores and all holy heck breaks out. Celebrations all over the field, and the host is setting up the trophy table.

Meanwhile, back on the field the blues are in conference. They call the teams back on the field, call the interference and place the runners back on base. Of course, the Bellarmine coach is ejected.

Next pitch is a passed ball, Bellarmine runner scores from third.

My question is, why did they let the play continue?

WhatWuzThatBlue Mon May 29, 2006 07:21pm

Having been on the recieving end of one of those bullets, I can tell you that unless you are thinking about it prior, your thoughts are not on the game when you take a BB off the body. True, his partners should recognize that the ball was immediately dead, since the umpire was struck in front of an infield position player. But even with the advent of metal bats, this occurrence is rare. We are trained to move quickly and get out of the way.

I'll accept the fact that this was a big game and the crew was undoubtedly worthy of the assignment. Stuff happens...remember a certain uncaught third strike in the WS last year?

JugglingReferee Mon May 29, 2006 07:22pm

Shock at observing what just happened?

Rich Mon May 29, 2006 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino
Folks,

I heard a radio news report concerning this game and I was wondering if anyone was there and saw it.

Bottom 7, tied game. Bellarmine has runners on 1st and 2nd. Shot up the middle HITS the umpire, runner from 2nd scores and all holy heck breaks out. Celebrations all over the field, and the host is setting up the trophy table.

Meanwhile, back on the field the blues are in conference. They call the teams back on the field, call the interference and place the runners back on base. Of course, the Bellarmine coach is ejected.

Next pitch is a passed ball, Bellarmine runner scores from third.

My question is, why did they let the play continue?

Why do coaches act this way? This is CLEARLY a book situation that the umpires handled correctly, by rule.

umpduck11 Mon May 29, 2006 07:59pm

You can yell "dead ball" until you are hoarse, but that doesn't
always mean they'll stop play. Coaches know that you can send
them back, but you cannot move them up, as in a potential ground-
rule double situation. Therefore, they keep the runners moving.

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 29, 2006 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpduck11

I have only been hit working the middle once (in C), and it was by Tony Clark. It was a bullet that hit me in the right foot so fast I couldn't even move. I immediately killed the ball, which is the right call by rule. An umpire needs to have the presence of mind as to what to do if he gets hit by the ball.

Clark also almost took my head off working in "A" in another game. I guess perhaps he liked aiming at the umpires.

BigUmp56 Mon May 29, 2006 09:30pm

I have to ask this. Is it possible that the umpires were accustomed to applying "string theory" on interference and the corners were playing in with R1 and R3?

If that's true, I could see how they could recognize post-incident that there was umpires interference.

Tim.

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 29, 2006 09:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I have to ask this. Is it possible that the umpires were accustomed to applying "string theory" on interference and the corners were playing in with R1 and R3?

If that's true, I could see how they could recognize post-incident that there was umpires interference.

I doubt it, since there were R1 and R2.

GarthB Mon May 29, 2006 09:59pm

Quote:

"Time!" works better.

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 29, 2006 10:16pm

Quote:

The coaches should know the rules too! The fact that the coach came unglued means that he didn't.

Rich Mon May 29, 2006 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
"Time!" works better.

And is correct.

I swear....I was working with a guy this year who, on a hit by pitch, shouted," DEAD BALL! TAKE YOUR BASE!"

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 29, 2006 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I swear....I was working with a guy this year who, on a hit by pitch, shouted," DEAD BALL! TAKE YOUR BASE!"

And he was working the bases!!!:D

BigUmp56 Mon May 29, 2006 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I doubt it, since there were R1 and R2.

So, I miss numbered the runners. That still doesn't address the possibility that they may have been initially prescribing to "string theory." It's entirely possible for F5 to be playing in and the BU, if in C position, was struck near that imaginary line.

Tim.

SanDiegoSteve Tue May 30, 2006 01:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
So, I miss numbered the runners. That still doesn't address the possibility that they may have been initially prescribing to "string theory." It's entirely possible for F5 to be playing in and the BU, if in C position, was struck near that imaginary line.

It isn't that you misnumbered the runners, it's that you misplaced them. If they were working 3-man, with 1st and 2nd, U1 would be at short A, and U3 at short (normal) C, correct? With 1st and 3rd, U3 would be in deep C, and could very likely be behind that imaginary line, do you follow me here? With 1st and 2nd, no matter how far in F5 plays, he should still be behind U3 in a normal C position, which is where he should be, in order to cover a steal attempt of 3rd.

Either way though, I think the "string theory" angle is a bit of a stretch.

PeteBooth Tue May 30, 2006 07:41am

[QUOTE=RPatrino]Folks,

Of course, the Bellarmine coach is ejected.

Bob maybe there's more exposure these days, but it seems as though no matter what level, coaches go ballistic when something like this happens.

Coaches in the HS and Collegiate level should keep their cool and should take a lesson from Socia of the Angels.

During last year's bizzare play Socia handled the incident with class. He went out, said his peace with the umpiring crew and went back to the dugout. He didn't lambash the umpiring crew in the post game interview. He was upset but didn't loose his cool. He concentrated on the "REAL" issue, the Angels were not hitting.

It's time for both High Schools and Colleges to start handing down stiffer penalties to coaches who go ballistic. A suspension and a Substantial Fine. When a coach goes ballistic what is he teaching his players? If all that happens in one's life is an umpire interference call or a bad call for that matter, they should "thank their lucky stars"

In addition IMO, the metal bat has ruined the game. I myself set-up in a deeper "B" / "C" slot then I would normally do if the teams were using wood. I almost "bought the farm" one day because it's difficult to react to a shot off of a metal bat.

Pete Booth