The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Easton Stealth HSM - Bad Product Support (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26686-easton-stealth-hsm-bad-product-support.html)

IceGator8 Mon May 22, 2006 04:36pm

Easton Stealth HSM - Bad Product Support

Bought an Easton Stealth HSM last year. I tried all the others and felt this one was the best as far as fit and looks.

Last month took a foul tip that dinged the face cage up a bit. I wanted to replace the cage so called my dealer. Believe it or not they cannot get replacement cages.

I'm a little stunned as this helmet cost quite a bit and the competition all offer replacement cages as well as other hardware. I phone up Easton customer service and they will not sell a replacement cage. I tried to haggle a little bit but I got nowhere. The cust serv rep I talked to was quite standoffish so I asked for her supervisor. His attitude was pretty much the same as his underling with a, "screw you buy a replacement attitude".

Wow, I've always been a fan of Eastons products. I'm bent because I finally got this mask broken in and fitting perfectly only to find that I can't replace broken parts.

Needless to say I'm miffed. The Stealth is a great mask but if they aren't going to support in a similar manner that their competition I would not recommend getting one.

I've noticed that the TAG Battlegear mask has the exact same shell and inner padding as the Easton model under the Stealth. I'm sure they are made in the same factory. This mask costs almost half of the price of a Stealth and you really can't tell a difference with them on. Buy that or the All-Star if you're looking for a HSM.

Eric

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 22, 2006 05:17pm

I have tried to access info from the TAG website, but am unable to see products. Can you give me a link as to where I can view/purchase a TAG Battlegear helmet?

IceGator8 Mon May 22, 2006 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I have tried to access info from the TAG website, but am unable to see products. Can you give me a link as to where I can view/purchase a TAG Battlegear helmet?

TAG has a website? I tried to find a site for them a few months back and couldn't find anything. You can get the Tag from Universal Athletic in Utah. I'm sure there are a bunch of other places that sell them.

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 22, 2006 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceGator8
TAG has a website? I tried to find a site for them a few months back and couldn't find anything. You can get the Tag from Universal Athletic in Utah. I'm sure there are a bunch of other places that sell them.

Yeah, they have a website, but it's not what you would call "user friendly." It does not let you view products, but you can find a dealer in your area. They don't have a dealer anywhere close to San Diego, so it was pretty much useless. Here is the website:
http://www.tag-1.com

briancurtin Mon May 22, 2006 08:38pm

i thought about buying an HSM for about 5 minutes the other day. im pretty sure if i was to do this, the only one i would buy is the really good All-Star one. they make great catchers gear (i was a catcher all of my playing life) and ive always loved their stuff, except i never got into HSMs in my last few playing years.

then 5 minutes was up...

BellevueUMp Mon May 22, 2006 10:24pm

I bought a Diamond brand HSM a month or so back and really like it. Comfy fit, great visibility, easy off/on, etc. I still use my other mask for the lower levels (9-year old, etc.) where I don't have to worry about taking a heater to the melon. Saw a video at a clinic where an A-league PU got a concussion from a foul ball to the upper corner of the mask & had to leave the game. BU came in & finished solo.

Just my $.02.

bdub712 Mon May 22, 2006 10:25pm

Do not feel bad...All-Star acted the same way when I asked to replace my steel cage. It was not painted and had a great look. They offered to sell me the $300 titanium cage but not one that was not painted. I love the mask, but now I am in search of a replacement. I thought about going the Easton route, but it sounds as if they take a play out of the same book. Good luck...

IceGator8 Tue May 23, 2006 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdub712
Do not feel bad...All-Star acted the same way when I asked to replace my steel cage. It was not painted and had a great look. They offered to sell me the $300 titanium cage but not one that was not painted. I love the mask, but now I am in search of a replacement. I thought about going the Easton route, but it sounds as if they take a play out of the same book. Good luck...

When I was researching this stuff I found a place that was offering All Star replacement cages for a decent price. I've tried to go back and figure out what it was but I couldn't find it.

IceGator8 Tue May 23, 2006 12:52pm

Quote:

The Tag Battlegear HSM is the exact same as the Easton Natural series helmet. Just go to Eastons website to look at it. I had a catcher last night that had the Easton version so I compared the two and they are identical.

IceGator8 Tue May 23, 2006 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
i thought about buying an HSM for about 5 minutes the other day. im pretty sure if i was to do this, the only one i would buy is the really good All-Star one. they make great catchers gear (i was a catcher all of my playing life) and ive always loved their stuff, except i never got into HSMs in my last few playing years.

then 5 minutes was up...

The All Star HSM's are great but I thought the Easton was even better.

mcrowder Tue May 23, 2006 01:01pm

The answer is out on the obstruction, return the batter to 2nd, R1 to first. 2 outs.

SanDiegoSteve Tue May 23, 2006 01:12pm

Quote:

The Tag Battlegear HSM is the exact same as the Easton Natural series helmet. Just go to Eastons website to look at it. I had a catcher last night that had the Easton version so I compared the two and they are identical.

I saw the Easton Naturals, they look pretty nice. I also kind of like the Rawlings Coolflo as well. The I-Tech 4000 looks good, but I wonder just how strong it is.

IceGator8 Tue May 23, 2006 02:04pm

Quote:

I saw the Easton Naturals, they look pretty nice. I also kind of like the Rawlings Coolflo as well. The I-Tech 4000 looks good, but I wonder just how strong it is.

iTech is a great company. I'm sure if they make it it's probably designed to withstand hockey pucks so a baseball should prove to be no problem.

LMan Tue May 23, 2006 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
The answer is out on the obstruction, return the batter to 2nd, R1 to first. 2 outs.

heh heh heh :D

SanDiegoSteve Tue May 23, 2006 02:46pm

Quote:

iTech is a great company. I'm sure if they make it it's probably designed to withstand hockey pucks so a baseball should prove to be no problem.

Designed to withstand mcrowder and LMan, huh? Cool!:D