The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Easton Stealth HSM - Bad Product Support

Bought an Easton Stealth HSM last year. I tried all the others and felt this one was the best as far as fit and looks.

Last month took a foul tip that dinged the face cage up a bit. I wanted to replace the cage so called my dealer. Believe it or not they cannot get replacement cages.

I'm a little stunned as this helmet cost quite a bit and the competition all offer replacement cages as well as other hardware. I phone up Easton customer service and they will not sell a replacement cage. I tried to haggle a little bit but I got nowhere. The cust serv rep I talked to was quite standoffish so I asked for her supervisor. His attitude was pretty much the same as his underling with a, "screw you buy a replacement attitude".

Wow, I've always been a fan of Eastons products. I'm bent because I finally got this mask broken in and fitting perfectly only to find that I can't replace broken parts.

Needless to say I'm miffed. The Stealth is a great mask but if they aren't going to support in a similar manner that their competition I would not recommend getting one.

I've noticed that the TAG Battlegear mask has the exact same shell and inner padding as the Easton model under the Stealth. I'm sure they are made in the same factory. This mask costs almost half of the price of a Stealth and you really can't tell a difference with them on. Buy that or the All-Star if you're looking for a HSM.

Eric
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 05:17pm

I have tried to access info from the TAG website, but am unable to see products. Can you give me a link as to where I can view/purchase a TAG Battlegear helmet?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I have tried to access info from the TAG website, but am unable to see products. Can you give me a link as to where I can view/purchase a TAG Battlegear helmet?
TAG has a website? I tried to find a site for them a few months back and couldn't find anything. You can get the Tag from Universal Athletic in Utah. I'm sure there are a bunch of other places that sell them.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 07:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGator8
TAG has a website? I tried to find a site for them a few months back and couldn't find anything. You can get the Tag from Universal Athletic in Utah. I'm sure there are a bunch of other places that sell them.
Yeah, they have a website, but it's not what you would call "user friendly." It does not let you view products, but you can find a dealer in your area. They don't have a dealer anywhere close to San Diego, so it was pretty much useless. Here is the website:
http://www.tag-1.com
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

i thought about buying an HSM for about 5 minutes the other day. im pretty sure if i was to do this, the only one i would buy is the really good All-Star one. they make great catchers gear (i was a catcher all of my playing life) and ive always loved their stuff, except i never got into HSMs in my last few playing years.

then 5 minutes was up...
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a Diamond brand HSM a month or so back and really like it. Comfy fit, great visibility, easy off/on, etc. I still use my other mask for the lower levels (9-year old, etc.) where I don't have to worry about taking a heater to the melon. Saw a video at a clinic where an A-league PU got a concussion from a foul ball to the upper corner of the mask & had to leave the game. BU came in & finished solo.

Just my $.02.

"There are three types of people in the world. Those who learn from the mistakes of others, those who learn from their own mistakes, and those who feel compelled to urinate on the electric fence." Unknown
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Do not feel bad...All-Star acted the same way when I asked to replace my steel cage. It was not painted and had a great look. They offered to sell me the $300 titanium cage but not one that was not painted. I love the mask, but now I am in search of a replacement. I thought about going the Easton route, but it sounds as if they take a play out of the same book. Good luck...
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub712
Do not feel bad...All-Star acted the same way when I asked to replace my steel cage. It was not painted and had a great look. They offered to sell me the $300 titanium cage but not one that was not painted. I love the mask, but now I am in search of a replacement. I thought about going the Easton route, but it sounds as if they take a play out of the same book. Good luck...
When I was researching this stuff I found a place that was offering All Star replacement cages for a decent price. I've tried to go back and figure out what it was but I couldn't find it.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Tag Battlegear HSM is the exact same as the Easton Natural series helmet. Just go to Eastons website to look at it. I had a catcher last night that had the Easton version so I compared the two and they are identical.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
i thought about buying an HSM for about 5 minutes the other day. im pretty sure if i was to do this, the only one i would buy is the really good All-Star one. they make great catchers gear (i was a catcher all of my playing life) and ive always loved their stuff, except i never got into HSMs in my last few playing years.

then 5 minutes was up...
The All Star HSM's are great but I thought the Easton was even better.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

The answer is out on the obstruction, return the batter to 2nd, R1 to first. 2 outs.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 01:12pm

Quote:
The Tag Battlegear HSM is the exact same as the Easton Natural series helmet. Just go to Eastons website to look at it. I had a catcher last night that had the Easton version so I compared the two and they are identical.
I saw the Easton Naturals, they look pretty nice. I also kind of like the Rawlings Coolflo as well. The I-Tech 4000 looks good, but I wonder just how strong it is.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw the Easton Naturals, they look pretty nice. I also kind of like the Rawlings Coolflo as well. The I-Tech 4000 looks good, but I wonder just how strong it is.
iTech is a great company. I'm sure if they make it it's probably designed to withstand hockey pucks so a baseball should prove to be no problem.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
The answer is out on the obstruction, return the batter to 2nd, R1 to first. 2 outs.

heh heh heh
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 02:46pm

Quote:
iTech is a great company. I'm sure if they make it it's probably designed to withstand hockey pucks so a baseball should prove to be no problem.
Designed to withstand mcrowder and LMan, huh? Cool!