The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Disappointed in AMLU (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26663-disappointed-amlu.html)

Sal Giaco Sun May 21, 2006 08:06am

Disappointed in AMLU

After talking to a handful of people from different parts of the country, it is apparent that minor league umpires are working more and more amateur games. In fact, some have taken college post season assignments in a "non emergency" basis. They have also accepted independent pro ball games for the summer.

This goes directly against what they said they would not do. When the strike began, emails were sent out from the AMLU stating they would not take games unless it was on a last minute, fill in basis. NCAA post season college assignments don't exactly fill in the criteria. Independent pro leagues haven't even started and minor league guys are already taking games (just what I said was going to happen if the strike wasn't settled).

I've put in a few calls/voicemails to Andy Roberts, explaining the situation and none of them have been returned. There is obvious dissention within the AMLU and now that the strike's end is no where in sight, the minor league guys are doing whatever they feel necessary to put "food on the table".

I am disspointed because I turned back a AAA schedule back in April to support these guys and now, they are taking post season opportunities from my fellow "college umpire brethern". I still have the opportunity to take minor league games now that my college season is coming to a close. The question I am struggling with now is... Does two wrongs make a right???

mbyron Sun May 21, 2006 09:10am

Sal, you might be struggling with the wrong question. You might well ask instead: were you right initially to think that the AMLU's leadership and direction are worth your support?

This has a parallel with the military: do we best "support our troops" by trusting the leadership that is putting them in harm's way, or by protesting and trying to get them safely home?

To answer either question, you need to judge whether the leadership's ends are worth pursuing, and whether their proposed means are likely to succeed better than any other. Then it's easier to decide what you should do.

Finally, it's not really a struggle to conclude that two wrongs do not make a right, but instead often lead to cycles of retribution and revenge.

jwwashburn Sun May 21, 2006 10:19am

Go for it, Sal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
After talking to a handful of people from different parts of the country, it is apparent that minor league umpires are working more and more amateur games. In fact, some have taken college post season assignments in a "non emergency" basis. They have also accepted independent pro ball games for the summer.

This goes directly against what they said they would not do. When the strike began, emails were sent out from the AMLU stating they would not take games unless it was on a last minute, fill in basis. NCAA post season college assignments don't exactly fill in the criteria. Independent pro leagues haven't even started and minor league guys are already taking games (just what I said was going to happen if the strike wasn't settled).

I've put in a few calls/voicemails to Andy Roberts, explaining the situation and none of them have been returned. There is obvious dissention within the AMLU and now that the strike's end is no where in sight, the minor league guys are doing whatever they feel necessary to put "food on the table".

I am disspointed because I turned back a AAA schedule back in April to support these guys and now, they are taking post season opportunities from my fellow "college umpire brethern". I still have the opportunity to take minor league games now that my college season is coming to a close. The question I am struggling with now is... Does two wrongs make a right???

Sal, go for it.

Even if it would be wrong to do MiiLB games if the AMLU was not taking Amateur and Indepenent pro games, it clearly cannot be the same now. They want carte blance to do whatever they want and then expect people to refuse MiLB games out of respect for their strike.

It is the typical union mindset.

Support us always no matter what: just because we are a union.

Support us always no matter what: even if it is not in your best interest.

Support us always no matter what: even if we take actions that directly effect you, your family and your career negativley.

Joe

nickrego Sun May 21, 2006 11:48am

I heard, pst pst pst...

Could someone from one of the leagues the MiLB umpires are supposed to be umpiring in please confirm this.

Especially someone who lost an assignment to an MiLB umpire.

Thanks,

JRutledge Sun May 21, 2006 12:45pm

I think people who assign umpires pick the best people. If you feel that someone "took your job" then it was not your job to begin with. Or at the very least you were not good enough to stay there. I have been working all Minor League guys all spring and they have not hurt my schedule in any way. Even if the strike had ended, I think anyone that has the opportunity to work any game can work any game. Amateur baseball for the most part has an "independent contractor" relationship. Leagues and conferences can hire who ever they want to and when they want to. It just happens that many umpires are currently in a strike.

Peace

JIGGY Sun May 21, 2006 12:58pm

While the strike is not yet over...neither are the negotiations. There is still a federal mediator involved and both sides have admitted wanting to get a deal done soon. This thing will get resolved sooner or later eliminating issues like this one.

left coast Sun May 21, 2006 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think people who assign umpires pick the best people. If you feel that someone "took your job" then it was not your job to begin with. Or at the very least you were not good enough to stay there. I have been working all Minor League guys all spring and they have not hurt my schedule in any way. Even if the strike had ended, I think anyone that has the opportunity to work any game can work any game. Amateur baseball for the most part has an "independent contractor" relationship. Leagues and conferences can hire who ever they want to and when they want to. It just happens that many umpires are currently in a strike.

Peace

Is that a one way street, or does it go both ways?

WhatWuzThatBlue Sun May 21, 2006 05:47pm

I could have sworn that he once wrote that he gets his college assignments 'simply because he is available'. That doesn't sound like the best umpire is being put on the field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jiggy still doesn't get it. Only one side needs the negotiations to renew. MiLB has not made a new offer and has not initiated talks since the union voted against the arbiter's offer. The matter will not get settled by MiLB yielding any more and he knows it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The person who began this thread should have known better than to do what he did. Six months ago I was chastised for telling this board that the AMLU guys would begin taking the plums as soon as they saw the writing on the wall. I guess those reserves didn't last as long as they thought - or the strike went much longer than they ever imagined.

The local AMLU guys will grab those indie games and many NCAA/NJCAA post season assignments. They will suck up the American Legion tournaments and any adult baseball they deem worthy. They will argue that they are just as entitled to apply for those assignments as an amateur working as a replacement for MiLB games. The problem with that is they swore they wouldn't do it and a couple of you fell for it. Can you find that entreaty on the AMLU site any longer? Lah me!

JRutledge Sun May 21, 2006 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by left coast
Is that a one way street, or does it go both ways?

It is only a two way street when both streets match. You cannot compare the Dan Ryan to the Tri-State equally. ;)

Peace

Sal Giaco Sun May 21, 2006 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
: They (AMLU) asked for support and got none. Looks like they read the writing on the wall so to speak.

OK then - I guess "all bets are off" - I didn't realize it was so obvious. The door is officially open - amateurs take all the MiLB assignments you want because the AMLU is taking any assignments they want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
: Now I guess the lower level D-1 umpires that were expecting to get playoff assignments are hacked off.

For your information, I received post season assignments at both the D-II and D-I level. That's neither here nor there. The point is their are a lot of amatuer umpires that have put their time in at the NCAA level and would have gotten their shot to work post season if the AMLU guys didn't accept the assignments like they said they wouldn't... unless it was an emergency.

Sal Giaco Sun May 21, 2006 07:56pm

Quote:

I have been working all Minor League guys all spring and they have not hurt my schedule in any way.

We're not talking about regular season... We're talking about post-season - where there are plenty of qualified umpires to fill those assignments but were not given the opportunity because an AMLU guy accepted it rather than respectfully decline it to his fellow amateur "brethern". By the way, ofcourse it didn't affect your schedule because you aren't close to being considered for COLLEGE post season assignments... yet?

Quote:

Leagues and conferences can hire who ever they want to and when they want to.

No sh!t - ofcourse they are going to select the best umpires possible because that's their job. I am not blaming the assignors for asking the AMLU guys for post season, I'm pissed at the MiLB guys who accepted them - knowing quite well that there are amateurs waiting/hoping to finally get a shot.

Sal Giaco Sun May 21, 2006 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIGGY
This thing will get resolved sooner or later eliminating issues like this one.

Wow Jiggy, I guess you don't get it. The point is that this issue should have never come up because the AMLU said they wouldn't take amateur assignments. There are alot of D-I and ex Pro guys here in Michigan and Indiana that banded together to support them - we all got calls from League Presidents and we all refused to work. Why didn't the AMLU guys refuse the post season assignments when they got the call???????

jwwashburn Sun May 21, 2006 08:23pm

rhetorical, right?

Quote:

Wow Jiggy, I guess you don't get it. The point is that this issue should have never come up because the AMLU said they wouldn't take amateur assignments. There are alot of D-I and ex Pro guys here in Michigan and Indiana that banded together to support them - we all got calls from League Presidents and we all refused to work. Why didn't the AMLU guys refuse the post season assignments when they got the call???????

Sal, you know why they didn't refuse them-Unions always have been like this. And, they actually wonder why less and less people support them.

JRutledge Sun May 21, 2006 08:38pm

Quote:

We're not talking about regular season... We're talking about post-season - where there are plenty of qualified umpires to fill those assignments but were not given the opportunity because an AMLU guy accepted it rather than respectfully decline it to his fellow amateur "brethern". By the way, ofcourse it didn't affect your schedule because you aren't close to being considered for post season assignments... yet?

If they worked the regular season, then they should be able to work the post season like the rest of us. BTW, I worked a post season baseball game, so I was not affected. ;)

Quote:

No sh!t - ofcourse they are going to select the best umpires possible because that's their job. I am not blaming the assignors for asking the AMLU guys for post season, I'm pissed at the MiLB guys who accepted them - knowing quite well that there are amateurs waiting/hoping to finally get a shot.

Lighten up my man. You cannot have it both ways. Many here have claimed the union umpires walked out on their jobs. If that is the case then they have the right to work whatever game they want to when they are available to work. If college umpires did not respect the union's position (and many did not) then you cannot go around being mad when they are passed up for post season games. Look, I did not say it would not be a problem or not make people upset. This was the reason I said to support the union members. This strike was going to affect everyone either directly or indirectly. I just think that you cannot take the high road when so many sold out to work a pro game of any kind.

Look Sal, I feel your pain on this. I just think when you do things to undermine the union those actions would come back to bite you square in the ***. Did you actually think umpires were not going to ever work a single game? Now you might have been perfectly supportive, but there were not many that were loyal or respectful of the situation. The people you should be getting upset at are the many college umpires that decided to cross the line. We are all just umpires; we go where we are asked to go.

Peace

Sal Giaco Sun May 21, 2006 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWL
Sal,

FYI, I am on the same page with you and I apologize if you thought I was calling you a lower level D-1 umpire. I was only speaking in general. I understand exactly where you are coming from. I believe you to be one of the more stand up guys on this forum. I was only bringing up points from previous posts. As umpires we should check our egos at the door and support one another. It has nothing to do with the union issue whatsoever. We should allow these guys from MiLB the opportunity to improve their wages and working conditions. I feel like they get a raw deal from PBUC. That is my issue with the "amateurs" crossing the picket lines. Nothing more, nothing less. Congratulations and good luck in the post season. Hopefully, I will see you on TV one day at the CWS. Also, have a great year calling the Independent League.

It's going to be a long time before this wound heals.

PWL,
I guess I'm confused. I never said you called me a lower D-1 umpire and it will be a long time before I would even be considered for the CWS, if ever at all. I must have misunderstood your post because I thought you were saying that it was ok for AMLU to take "non emergency" post season assignments from amateur umpires.

I'm not upset with you (I apolgize if I offended you) but I am disappointed with the choices of certain MiLB umpires. This has been going on for a while and I have chosen to ignore it. But now, when I know that guys who have worked their a$$es off for a long time get passed over because a Professional umpire accepted an amatuer post season assignment (when clearly directed not to by his union), I get a little pissed off.

I think I've vented enough. I felt this needed to come out and be known so that perhaps, this issue can be addressed. Hopefully, somebody from the union will comment on what's going on..... but I'm not holding my breath for it.

WhatWuzThatBlue Sun May 21, 2006 10:30pm

Quote:

If they worked the regular season, then they should be able to work the post season like the rest of us. BTW, I worked a post season baseball game, so I was not affected. ;)

Wow, high school or Junior College? Those assignments are horribly difficult to get in the Chicago area. In high school, every Certified and more than a few Registered officials are working the Regionals. The Juco smorgasbord invites almost anyone with a heartbeat and is available at noon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Rutledge
Lighten up my man. You cannot have it both ways. Many here have claimed the union umpires walked out on their jobs. If that is the case then they have the right to work whatever game they want to when they are available to work. If college umpires did not respect the union's position (and many did not) then you cannot go around being mad when they are passed up for post season games. Look, I did not say it would not be a problem or not make people upset. This was the reason I said to support the union members. This strike was going to affect everyone either directly or indirectly. I just think that you cannot take the high road when so many sold out to work a pro game of any kind.

That is the most insane bit of logic you've written in a long time! The amateurs made no promises and asked nothing of the AMLU pros. A few guys have decided to accept those minor league assignments, but the vast majority have no concern for the AMLU plight. The AMLU gang sent out mass appeals to say that they WOULD NEVER CONSIDER ACCEPTING NON-PROFESSIONAL ASSIGNMENTS WHILE ON STRIKE. Most locals bought this...that was until they started accepting local high school, JUCO and NCAA assignments. You are saying that because a few guys replaced those individuals, all bets are off. That is spoken like a man that can't find reason if it falls on him. By the way, who are the ' so many' who sold out. Can you name three guys locally who have accepted those assignments? I can think of several AMLU guys who have been working HS, and College games all Spring. The AMLU guys broke their word, the amateurs did not...end of story

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Rutledge
Look Sal, I feel your pain on this. I just think when you do things to undermine the union those actions would come back to bite you square in the ***. Did you actually think umpires were not going to ever work a single game? Now you might have been perfectly supportive, but there were not many that were loyal or respectful of the situation. The people you should be getting upset at are the many college umpires that decided to cross the line. We are all just umpires; we go where we are asked to go.

Again, who is it biting? A few guys replaced those umpires, that is all. The union rolled the dice and crapped out. Now they are struggling to find respect and income.

To answer your question - yes, they posted a message stating that they would never accept a non-professional assignment while on strike. That can't be more clear. They then went and broke that promise when they realized that PBUC and MiLB didn't really miss them.

Sal Giaco Sun May 21, 2006 10:38pm

Quote:

If that is the case then they have the right to work whatever game they want to when they are available to work.

OK then - now that I know how the AMLU really feels about taking amateur assignments, then we are throwing out the "support thy brethern" clause and it's every umpire for themselves.

Quote:

If college umpires did not respect the union's position (and many did not) then you cannot go around being mad when they are passed up for post season games.

I disagree, especially here in the midwest, where many of the more experience college umpires (D-I) did not cross. The games have been covered with high school and small college umpires at best - something the union wanted so that they would struggle on the field and perhaps strengthen the AMLU bargining position.

Bottom line Jeff, I don't think now is a time for people to start making excuses for the AMLU that it's ok for professional umpires to take amateur post season assignments PERIOD.

JRutledge Mon May 22, 2006 12:00am

Quote:

OK then - now that I know how the AMLU really feels about taking amateur assignments, then we are throwing out the "support thy brethern" clause and it's every umpire for themselves.[/B]

Well it appears that was the attitude by everyone one else. Also it is a little over reaching to say what the AMLU supported. I know a lot of umpires that did not work hardly any games. I think this was an individual decision.

Quote:

I disagree, especially here in the midwest, where many of the more experience college umpires (D-I) did not cross. The games have been covered with high school and small college umpires at best - something the union wanted so that they would struggle on the field and perhaps strengthen the AMLU bargining position.[/B]

Well there were some in this region of the country that did cross. There was someone from my association that crossed even with the fact that we had several minor league umpires in our association.

Quote:

Bottom line Jeff, I don't think now is a time for people to start making excuses for the AMLU that it's ok for professional umpires to
take amateur post season assignments PERIOD.

Sal, I do not believe I am making excuses for anyone. I have an opinion about this issue and it happens not to be at lock step with you right now. I do not know of any rule that does not allow an umpire to work games they are assigned. To me your issue is with the people that made the assignments, not the umpires that took the assignments. Now what happens if these umpires cannot come back or decide not to come back? Do you think these umpires will not work any post season then?

Peace

socalblue1 Mon May 22, 2006 12:47am

So, there is RUMOR that one or more AMLU umpires have accepted NCAA post season assignments.

How about some names, conferences & assignments? I can assure everyone that I will ask the individuals directly & post the information here.

BenedictArnold Mon May 22, 2006 02:14am

Just a few thoughts after reading this thread.

First, I do not know of any AMLU guys right now that are accepting post season assignments. One thing though, all of the D1 stuff in my area is just ending. So I guess I am just throwing out there that many replacement umpires may be speculating that this will happen to support their decision to work MiLB. Not too far fetched when you consider the many rumors that came out about guys getting threatening phone calls and other scare tactics directed at them, which were never confirmed. I guess all I am saying Sal is that you truly have to consider your source when it comes to allegations such as this. Like many have asked, give us names so that it can be confirmed. Along the same lines, I know of one D1 umpire that is working a post season assignment who has worked as a replacement. I am not naming him on this board because his decision is no different than an AMLU guy who works college. The best umpires get the assignments...period.

As another post stated, maybe it is every umpire for themself. But this is a two sided coin. Every guy out there that has worked MiLB as a replacement needs to at least consider that if this thing goes south as WWTB predicts, where will that leave all of these guys in the future? There will be an influx on AMLU guys looking to work every game they can. At this point a few have worked...imagine if they all did. Like I said, the best umpires get the assignments...period. I guess the argument here is that you should be careful what you wish for.

And don't go out there and make my comments look like a threat. I could care a less who works where. But I can tell you that when I walked away from MiLB I was offered a ton of D1 games. The money was great, but I declined at first because I needed to focus on my new career. Now, a few years later, I do work some games for the fun of it. Sure, the money is decent. But I just love umpiring. And every assignor that I work for is not afraid to send me to any game. My schedule now is pretty good, especially considering I turn down more assignments than I take. It all comes back to the same point. The best umpires get the assignments. This is not a pad on my own back, it is just my experience.

I have heard all the arguments...I have more experience....These young guys can't carry my jock...They call us Charlies....They are no better than the top D1 guys...etc... Can we please just accept the fact that these guys were willing to make umpiring their career. They have a right to fight for better wages. I said it before, they make a poverty wage. What they are asking for is still a poverty wage. This isn't a matter of knowing what they got into, this is a matter of baseball knowing who they hired. Some of these guys are pretty good. Baseball refuses to acknowledge that. Some of these guys are capable of working other jobs for a better wage but decline for a slight chance of making it to MLB. The problem here is that Baseball exploits that. If you can't see the hypocrisy in that then you truly do not have a concept of what life is like as a MiLB umpire.

As a final plea...stop pointing fingers. This is not the AMLU's fault, it is not society, it is not the college guys working as replacements. All that is going on here is that the very rich baseball people want to get richer. They do not care about their employees that they know will not be there in ten years. Every player and umpire will be gone in 10 years. They prey on this fact. They truly are horrible people for what they are doing. This is a 5 BILLION dollar a year industry. Go to any other BILLION dollar company and try to find an employee that starts off at $1800/month. You will be hard pressed. In fact, you will be hard pressed to find a single employee that starts off at $3500/month in a BILLION dollar company, and that is the top for the AMLU guys. This is rediculous. Stop pointing the fingers at each other. When this thing is over we will still be left with professional and amateur umpires. There will be many clinics to work. As another post so accurately stated, this wound will take a long time to heal. And this healing won't begin until baseball has sucked all of the blood out of both the pros and the amateurs.

To every replacement out there just know this, baseball will throw you to the curb as soon as this is resolved. In a year or two they will not remember your name. It will be on a list of guys willing to work in the event of a strike, but that is the only time they will call. So stop believing their stance that you are doing a noble thing for the thousands of workers out there at every ballpark in america. If baseball cared at all about the concession people in the parks and every other worker, they never would have rejected the AMLU offer just before the season started that only asked for a raise in per diem (still less than the government rate) and a $33 raise each year for the next 3 years. Yes, my sources are still accurate too. This was only an additional $400,000 a year for a 5 BILLION dollar company. For those of you a little shaky on the math...that is $5,000,000,000....that is a lot of zeros. And also know that the same people that pay the umpires (MiLB) do not pay the players, coaches and managers. Those people are payed by their MLB parent club. The moral of this story, and the crux of the AMLU argument, is that all of this money goes to a few people, the same people that pay the umpires. It is pathetic that people make the AMLU umpires out to be greedy. If they were holding out for $30K a year I can accept that argument. But in todays world these guys can barely go grocery shopping twice a month for their families. It truly is pathetic that baseball has managed to direct the attention from what they are doing to the umpires....instead they have the guys working pointing fingers at the guys that are on strike and vice versa. Like I said...PATHETIC!

I apologize for the length, I am tired and just started writing what I was thinking. Lets try to keep one thing in perspective through this whole thing. Next weekend is Memorial Day. For one day lets just do what is expected of all of us and honor every member of the armed forces that provide us with the freedom to choose and be free. In the grand scheme of things, this strike is insignificant.

WhatWuzThatBlue Mon May 22, 2006 02:47am

Keeping a laptop on when you have to take a midnight stroll is a cause for more sleepless nights. Not tonight...

Minor League Baseball is NOT a 5 billion dollar industry.

I can name a dozen fortune 500 companies that offer minimum wage jobs to those they feel are worth it. A better comparison is the companies that pay seasonal wages that are miniscule and a slap in the face of the employee. No one forced them to take those jobs and yes, the job is seasonal.

Your last line was the most important. This strike has only affected the smallest fraction of sports fans, workers and administration. The fact that it hasn't been resolved should tell Andy all he needs to know. MiLB is holding a Royal Flush. The ranks are rumbling and the split will happen sooner than later. Hopefully a new group will form that will recognize their place in the game. Then they can back on the field and the amateurs can go back to their parks.

This strike could not have happened at a worse time for the union.

Sal Giaco Mon May 22, 2006 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalblue1
So, there is RUMOR that one or more AMLU umpires have accepted NCAA post season assignments.

How about some names, conferences & assignments? I can assure everyone that I will ask the individuals directly & post the information here.

Angel Campos - AAA umpire and Steve Fritzoni - AA umpire worked the JUCO Regional in California. There are others as well.

Look, I don't care that they probably belong to the assosciation, pay their dues and worked quite a few games throughout the regular season. According to the AMLU, they were not supposed to do that. As I said before, I knew that was going on and I looked the other way thinking well maybe there is a shortage of JUCO umpires in that area.

However, when post season came around and their were many amateur guys waiting to see if they were going to get picked, I hoped that the AMLU guys would have repectfully defered their selection so that the amateur umpire would get a chance. As I mentioned earlier, I don't blame the assigner because he's just looking for the best available talent. The Professional umpire is the one who supposed to say "thanks for the work you have given me this spring and while I appreciate you asking me for the post season assignment, I want to give one of the amateur umpires a chance." Unfortuneatly, this wasn't the case.

SoCalBlue1, it will be interesting to see the explantion you get and I look forward to your post. However, I really don't see any reason that would suffice. I think you'll find out that these guys, along with quite a few others, aren't waiting around for the AMLU leadership anymore. There are just looking out for themselves. With that said, now that our college season is almost over, perhaps the majority of D-I umpires (who did not cross before)will now need to do what's best for themselves.

PeteBooth Mon May 22, 2006 08:25am

[QUOTE=JRutledge]I think people who assign umpires pick the best people. If you feel that someone "took your job" then it was not your job to begin with.

IMO most assignors while they might try and save their best crews for the important games, pick the umpires MOST AVAILABLE. Depending upon the size of one's organization assigning is a difficult and tedious task.

Basically all an assignor wants to hear from an official is:

YES.

In a nutshell, I disagree with your statement that people who assign pick the best people. For the most part they pick the people who are available.

Example: you could be a TOP rated official but if you are "picky", no matter how good you are, the assignor is eventually going to get tired of hearing the word NO and will move on.

Pete Booth

JRutledge Mon May 22, 2006 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth
[I]

In a nutshell, I disagree with your statement that people who assign pick the best people. For the most part they pick the people who are available.

Example: you could be a TOP rated official but if you are "picky", no matter how good you are, the assignor is eventually going to get tired of hearing the word NO and will move on.

Pete Booth

Peter,

I think we agree more than you think we do. I have been saying this for years. It is certain individuals that think everyone is clamoring to work a post season game that they would sell their soul to get an assignment. I just know that a lot of umpires are not available for college ball for this very reason. Not everyone can work a 12:00 on a Monday.

Peace

left coast Mon May 22, 2006 10:27am

Quote:

Jason Milsap--Texas JUCO Regional

Jason Stein and Lance Barrett have applied to work in the Texas Collegiate League (wood bat summer league).

Durham Mon May 22, 2006 10:42am

Sal, you are better than that!

Sal,

If SoCal and BA are who they say they are then, they know who is working where. I understand your frustration, but there is no reason to single out 2 guys when there is at least 20. If SoCal and BA don't believe you, then fine, but they should already know which guys are working playoffs at the HS, JC, conference championship level.

Sal, if you supported the guys because you thought they were all going to support you then do what you have to do. Like every one of us, you just have to make a decision that you can live with. Like I said in our email, good luck with the rest of your season and this summer.

Left Coast, if you are going to to name people and not just give us your opinion then please give us your's so we know where the credit can go.

left coast Mon May 22, 2006 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham
Sal,

If SoCal and BA are who they say they are then, they know who is working where. I understand your frustration, but there is no reason to single out 2 guys when there is at least 20. If SoCal and BA don't believe you, then fine, but they should already know which guys are working playoffs at the HS, JC, conference championship level.

Sal, if you supported the guys because you thought they were all going to support you then do what you have to do. Like every one of us, you just have to make a decision that you can live with. Like I said in our email, good luck with the rest of your season and this summer.

Left Coast, if you are going to to name people and not just give us your opinion then please give us your's so we know where the credit can go.

I was merely answering the question that was posed.

I do have a question for the union guys out there. I have never been in a union and do not have much knowledge about them. If someone is in a carpenter's union and they go on strike, would it be OK for that carpenter to go to a non-union shop and work? I am not trying to throw any gas on any fires, I just don't know. As far as whether the AMLU guys should work or not, that is the same decision that the guys who crossed the picket lines were faced with. Everyone needs to do what they feel is right for their own individual situation.

Durham Mon May 22, 2006 11:18am

Quote:

I was merely answering the question that was posed.

I do have a question for the union guys out there. I have never been in a union and do not have much knowledge about them. If someone is in a carpenter's union and they go on strike, would it be OK for that carpenter to go to a non-union shop and work? I am not trying to throw any gas on any fires, I just don't know. As far as whether the AMLU guys should work or not, that is the same decision that the guys who crossed the picket lines were faced with. Everyone needs to do what they feel is right for their own individual situation.

Then answer this one! Do you feel it is ok to post others' names and not your own?

As for the union question I cannot answer it, because while I was an AMLU memeber and I am a teacher's union memeber, I am not a strong union person. But I know Sal personally and I know Angel personally, and I personally know several other AMLU guys that worked non-pro games this year and guys that worked and are working as replacement and I still consider all of them friends. This thing will end one way or another and if one party has a problem with a specific other, then call them and talk to them, don't post their name here.

SoCal, you are an AMLU suppoter, why would you post that question here and not with the AMLU guys?

left coast Mon May 22, 2006 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham
Then answer this one! Do you feel it is ok to post others' names and not your own?

As for the union question I cannot answer it, because while I was an AMLU memeber and I am a teacher's union memeber, I am not a strong union person. But I know Sal personally and I know Angel personally, and I personally know several other AMLU guys that worked non-pro games this year and guys that worked and are working as replacement and I still consider all of them friends. This thing will end one way or another and if one party has a problem with a specific other, then call them and talk to them, don't post their name here.

SoCal, you are an AMLU suppoter, why would you post that question here and not with the AMLU guys?

socalblue1 appears to be informed, and I have no reason to believe he isn't. He asked for information, and I supplied him with it. That is very different that arbitrarily listing names (and pictures) on the internet. Who I am is irrelevant to this discussion, somebody asked for information; I had what he asked for, and gave it to him. That's all.

socalblue1 Mon May 22, 2006 02:52pm

Quote:

socalblue1 appears to be informed, and I have no reason to believe he isn't. He asked for information, and I supplied him with it. That is very different that arbitrarily listing names (and pictures) on the internet. Who I am is irrelevant to this discussion, somebody asked for information; I had what he asked for, and gave it to him. That's all.

I did ask for the details and WILL research and respond just as soon as I have accurate answers.

I do know of a small number of assignments that were given simply because one or more AMLU umpires were available when others were not (IE: Monday at 12:00pm). The umpires in this instance are members of the group amd were long before they went to school & were hired by MiLB.

WhatWuzThatBlue Mon May 22, 2006 05:46pm

Quote:

I did ask for the details and WILL research and respond just as soon as I have accurate answers.

I do know of a small number of assignments that were given simply because one or more AMLU umpires were available when others were not (IE: Monday at 12:00pm). The umpires in this instance are members of the group amd were long before they went to shcool & were hired by MiLB.

Jim,
You have been provided with the facts. Your last sentence smacks of hypocrisy. The AMLU statement and the various emails we received all pledged that the striking umpires would not work amateur level baseball. Why is that not evident to you? You spend countless hours logged into that site and have certainly read how the beseeched their brethren. You are looking for an out and there isn't one in sight.

If I read your explanation properly, it is acceptable for an AMLU umpire to take that prime amateur job simply because he is available. Hmmmm, that sounds a lot like the replacements stepping in and working those MiLB games. Except that only one of those groups promised that they wouldn't do it. I can't wait to see how you try to explain this one.

socalblue1 Mon May 22, 2006 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Jim,
You have been provided with the facts. Your last sentence smacks of hypocrisy. The AMLU statement and the various emails we received all pledged that the striking umpires would not work amateur level baseball. Why is that not evident to you? You spend countless hours logged into that site and have certainly read how the beseeched their brethren. You are looking for an out and there isn't one in sight.

If I read your explanation properly, it is acceptable for an AMLU umpire to take that prime amateur job simply because he is available. Hmmmm, that sounds a lot like the replacements stepping in and working those MiLB games. Except that only one of those groups promised that they wouldn't do it. I can't wait to see how you try to explain this one.

Let's get a few facts straight & not relay on he/she said:

1. AMLU has stated that members are fine to work games booked before the strike (Those scheduled before spring training &/or before reporting to regular season assignment).

2. It's Ok to accept games no one else is available or willing to do.

So, if there is a game where no one else is available or willing you would prefer the game not be played? Now THAT's being a hypocrite!

I stated that I would check into the issue & respond back with facts and I will.

WhatWuzThatBlue Tue May 23, 2006 02:17am

Let's get a few facts straight & not relay on he/she said:
Okay, let's...

1. AMLU has stated that members are fine to work games booked before the strike (Those scheduled before spring training &/or before reporting to regular season assignment).
Now that's not what the email I received said. In fact, for quite some time, the AMLU site had a plea to amateurs not to accept MiLB schedules. They argued that as professionals they would never undermine their brethren by working amateur games - EVEN IF THEY WERE ON STRIKE!

Multiple news stories had AMLU spokespersons stating that they are well prepared for a long strike and feel no need to work college or high school games in the mean time. If I'm not mistaken, a few of them came here to argue that as long as they were dues paying members of an association, they should be able to accept games. I agree...unless you remember that they said they wouldn't.

Thanks...that is the argument for using replacement umpires instead of AMLU members. I believe that the AMLU guys made themselves unavailable and unwilling to do those games.

So, if there is a game where no one else is available or willing you would prefer the game not be played? Now THAT's being a hypocrite!

No, that's not the case at all. There are plenty of umpires that are available and desire those premium playoff assignments. If those AMLU boys were really altruistic, they would accept those rec ball assignments while the regular crews got their rewards for working hard all season. The AMLU guys are cherry picking and not just doing games 'no one wants'. Pass the doobie before your brain is completely fried.

I stated that I would check into the issue & respond back with facts and I will.

Please tell me that you won't use the same logic that you displayed here. Many of us have the messages from AMLU about not working and helping their cause. These chain letters were even printed in a few threads here. We know what we are talking about.

jwwashburn Tue May 23, 2006 04:55pm

Quote:

I agree. People should quit calling the guys working MiLB SCABS. They are simply accepting games that no one else is available or willing to do.

JRutledge Tue May 23, 2006 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I agree. People should quit calling the guys working MiLB SCABS. They are simply accepting games that no one else is available or willing to do.

Considering that the only people that are scabs are the people working games during a strike, I think the term fits perfectly. Working amateur games with no union and no strike are not out of bounds for anyone to work as an independent contractor. Oh well, are you going to cry the next time someone uses the word "scab?" :rolleyes:

Peace

DIV2ump Tue May 23, 2006 07:08pm

go union

Quote:

Considering that the only people that are scabs are the people working games during a strike, I think the term fits perfectly. Working amateur games with no union and no strike are not out of bounds for anyone to work as an independent contractor. Oh well, are you going to cry the next time someone uses the word "scab?" :rolleyes:

Gotta love that mentality-

1. It's not okay for guys to take work that AMLU umpires are refusing to do. They're "scabs."
2. It is okay for AMLU umpires to take work from umpires who usually do that work despite previously assuring everyone that this would not happen. (Does this make it okay for someone to post their pictures with childish comments?)

Heard something interesting, some AMLU insiders can maybe confirm it- supposedly AMLU leadership tried to convince Triple-A guys not to work as fill-ins at MLB to put pressure on MLB to get involved in the strike. The Triple-A guys told them to go chase themselves.

Sal Giaco Tue May 23, 2006 08:17pm

Quote:

... Working amateur games with no union and no strike are not out of bounds for anyone to work as an independent contractor...

Then what do you call a union, who in order to drum up support from their "umpire brethern", promises to not work amatuer games (unless as a last minute fill in) but then goes ahead and takes amateur playoff/post season assignments???

How about hypocrits, liars, double talkers, or just plain a$$holes. We've yet to hear from anyone from the AMLU or anybody close/tied to them... what a surprise? You know why, cause many of the members have all but officially moved on in their own directions. Ok, that's fine. You (AMLU) guys do what you have to do and we (amateurs) will do what we have to do. No more "Umpire Brethern" - it's now EVERY MAN FOR THEMSELVES!

I have to admit - I believed in their cause and I supported them by not crossing... What a complete fool I was to think that they actually cared about us (amateurs). They just used us to increase their barganing power. Well guess what... the strike is no where near ended and now that the "cat is out of the bag", more and more umpires will cross in June, July and August and MiLB will have no need for the union anymore. I guess what goes around, comes around.

Despite their backstabbing, I still will not accept games until the union is officially discarded by MiLB. Then I will get my assignments through the proper channels.... because I won't stoop to the scum levels of certain AMLU members. Unlike them, when I say I won't do something, I stick to my word.

WhatWuzThatBlue Tue May 23, 2006 08:18pm

This isn't a secret or a surprise. Those Trips have much to lose this season. We all know that five to eight WUA members are moving on and it's time for the rest to scramble. This strike hurt the Trips an awful lot.

BenedictArnold Tue May 23, 2006 09:32pm

Those AAA umpires working in the big leagues should be ashamed of themselves. Those guys haven't sacrificed a single thing for the AMLU. They worked the World Baseball Classic and spring training. Now they work in the big leagues. I don't care what anyone says, they should not be working those games while the other members of the union are sitting at home. I often do not make predictions, but I am willing to guess that if those guys refuse to work this thing will get resolved in a day or two. MLB will not sit back and let their umpires work 3 man or work with amateurs. If they did...here comes the players union screaming. And we all know what happens when the players union gets involved...MLB cracks. Lets hope something gets done with MiLB and AMLU without having to do this. But if they are still at home next week, they need to do this and those AAA guys working in the big leagues need to stop being selfish and sacrifice something. After all, this strike probably helped more of them than hurt them.

And again Sal, how does every man for themself help amateur umpires? The AMLU issued a statement...but I think it is obvious that that doesn't mean everyone signed off on that statement. Some of these guys have no ability to do anything else because they don't know how to do anything else. I think amateurs should still not work as replacements because there are fewer spots in pro ball every day than there are in every other kind of baseball in America on a daily basis. It is in everyones best interest to get those AMLU guys back to work. Then everyone can go back to working on their own goals and their own advancement.

Like I said before, we need to stop pointing fingers at eachother. Everyone sit back and take notice that baseball doesn't care about the AMLU guys or the amateur guys. They care about one entity, and one entity only...themselves. They are licking their chops at the thought of the common folk fighting with eachother. In fact, they are banking on it.

And if only a few AMLU guys are working those playoff games, call them out individually. One thing is for sure, if they all agreed to work playoff games there would be a lot more of them working. So give most of those guys a little credit Sal. Most of them have stayed true to their word. Just as you remain true to yours. I personally can't wait to see this thing get settled because I know a few guys very well and I care about them and their families. They are suffering in this more than anyone. More than someone who didn't recieve a playoff game and more than someone that has crossed a line. They are the ones that have to try to make ends meet any way possible because baseball doesn't care that a gallon of milk and a tank of gas costs more today than in 2000. Seriously, lets try to look at both sides before casting stones. It sucks for every umpire out there right now. I would venture to say that even the replacements have a greater appreciation for the life style after working these games. A couple guys I know that are making $100/game are now talking to eachother saying that they are underpaid for what they are doing. See what I mean? Baseball is laughing at every umpire in america right now. They know that guys like me and you are going to do what is best for us. The only problem is that some guys think that it is best to work as replacements and others think it is best to decline and hope this thing gets settled sooner rather than later.

Again, my apologies for the long post. I just can't seem to keep these things down to a couple paragraphs.

BA

GarthB Tue May 23, 2006 10:14pm

Somewhere, someplace, sometime someone psoted that Balkin' Bob Davidson, although an AAA umpire working up, is not, and has never been, a member of the AMLU.

Could this be true? Is MiLB an "open shop?" Do umpires have the choice to not belong to the bargaining unit?

How about the other AAA guys working vacation relief in the Majors. Are they members of the AMLU? If not, how can the AMLU demand they not work? And, what can the union MLB umpire be thinking about welcoming non-union Davidson back? The MLB umpires have repeatedly given their support to the AMLU. They can't be happy with Bob.

Is it possible that most of the support for the AMLU position is coming from MiLB umpires who know they have no chance of moving up to the Majors?

Sal Giaco Tue May 23, 2006 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
Those AAA umpires working in the big leagues should be ashamed of themselves. My sources tell me that they were not asked to step down, they were told that if MiLB refuses to offer something reasonable then they would be TOLD to step down. Your sources are wrong Div2ump, my sources are right. This is what did happen, and this is what should happen. Those guys haven't sacrificed a single thing for the union. They worked the World Baseball Classic and spring training. Now they work in the big leagues. I don't care what anyone says, they should not be working those games while the other members of the union are sitting at home. I often do not make predictions, but I am willing to guess that if those guys refuse to work this thing will get resolved in a day or two. MLB will not sit back and let their umpires work 3 man or work with amateurs. If they did...here comes the players union screaming. And we all know what happens when the players union gets involved...MLB cracks. Lets hope something gets done with MiLB and AMLU without having to do this. But if they are still at home next week, they need to do this and those AAA guys working in the big leagues need to stop being selfish and sacrifice something. After all, this strike probably helped more of them than hurt them.

And again Sal, how does every man for themself help amateur umpires? The AMLU issued a statement...but I think it is obvious that that doesn't mean everyone signed off on that statement. Some of these guys have no ability to do anything else because they don't know how to do anything else. I think amateurs should still not work as replacements because there are fewer spots in pro ball every day than there are in every other kind of baseball in America on a daily basis. It is in everyones best interest to get those AMLU guys back to work. Then everyone can go back to working on their own goals and their own advancement.

Like I said before, we need to stop pointing fingers at eachother. Everyone sit back and take notice that baseball doesn't care about the AMLU guys or the amateur guys. They care about one entity, and one entity only...themselves. They are licking their chops at the thought of the common folk fighting with eachother. In fact, they are banking on it.

And if only a few AMLU guys are working those playoff games, call them out individually. One thing is for sure, if they all agreed to work playoff games there would be a lot more of them working. So give most of those guys a little credit Sal. Most of them have stayed true to their word. Just as you remain true to yours. I personally can't wait to see this thing get settled because I know a few guys very well and I care about them and their families. They are suffering in this more than anyone. More than someone who didn't recieve a playoff game and more than someone that has crossed a line. They are the ones that have to try to make ends meet any way possible because baseball doesn't care that a gallon of milk and a tank of gas costs more today than in 2000. Seriously, lets try to look at both sides before casting stones. It sucks for every umpire out there right now. I would venture to say that even the replacements have a greater appreciation for the life style after working these games. A couple guys I know that are making $100/game are now talking to eachother saying that they are underpaid for what they are doing. See what I mean? Baseball is laughing at every umpire in america right now. They know that guys like me and you are going to do what is best for us. The only problem is that some guys think that it is best to work as replacements and others think it is best to decline and hope this thing gets settled sooner rather than later.

Again, my apologies for the long post. I just can't seem to keep these things down to a couple paragraphs.

BA

BA,
You make some good points. I'm just a little pissed off right now and I needed a place to vent. What bothers me the most is all I ever wanted to do is work ONE series at the AAA level to see what it was like and if I could handle it. Yet every pro or ex-pro I talked to said whether you work one game or 100 games, a scab is a scab and don't do it if you really want to support us (AMLU). So I struggled with it for about a week before declining the opportunity(s). Now I'm looking back and saying I probably missed the chance of a life time. Oh well.... atleast I can look at the "man in the glass" and go to sleep at nite knowing I did the right thing.

WhatWuzThatBlue Wed May 24, 2006 12:34am

And again Sal, how does every man for themself help amateur umpires?
I'm not Sal, but I'll ask you this...how does it hurt? Some amateur umpires are challenging themselves by accepting those replacement assignments. That is a good thing, as their skills will have to become finer. In most cases, amateur baseball is 'every man for himself'.

The AMLU issued a statement...but I think it is obvious that that doesn't mean everyone signed off on that statement.

Oh, come on... I received a half dozen pleas from individual AMLU members and was sent copies from friends of others. While I have long said that the union doesn't speak for everyone, many of them have the opportunity to dissent and not act like lemmings. This membership was almost completely on the same page in January and February. When the last minutes offers failed, a few started to sweat. Now, many others are seeing a sinking ship and trying to save some face.

Some of these guys have no ability to do anything else because they don't know how to do anything else.

What? These guys are typically under thirty and have had just a few years of professional ball under their belts. How can you possibly say that they can't do anything else. What do they do when they are released or choose to end the dream? Pack groceries, push a lawn mower, paint a wall, go to school and get a degree and act like an adult.

I think amateurs should still not work as replacements because there are fewer spots in pro ball every day than there are in every other kind of baseball in America on a daily basis.

This is not about amateurs assisting in the attainment of the dream. This is about guys abandoning that dream because they want more respect and money. Those games will still be played and the best available amateurs are seeing that they are handled to the best of their abilities. No one ever promised those pro school graduates a shot at the brass ring.

It is in everyones best interest to get those AMLU guys back to work.

No it is not...it is in the best interest of Andy and his brass to get them back out there. The replacements are losing nothing by filling in. The AMLU gang is taking the plums from the amateurs who are not working in their stead.

Then everyone can go back to working on their own goals and their own advancement.

That would be nice, but MiLB doesn't see it that way. They haven't brought a new offer to the table yet and the teams are getting ready to send their All Stars to the mid season showcase.

Like I said before, we need to stop pointing fingers at eachother. Everyone sit back and take notice that baseball doesn't care about the AMLU guys or the amateur guys.

Kindly separate the two...MiLB seems to be taking care of the replacements pretty well. They don't have any influence on local assoaciation management, so the comparison is futile.

They care about one entity, and one entity only...themselves. They are licking their chops at the thought of the common folk fighting with each other. In fact, they are banking on it.

That sounds like good business practice. Worry about the things you can control and forget about those you can't. The bottom line is the profit line and that is what all good business people know. Signing a contract for low wages is a poor business decision if your goal is to live comfortably.

And if only a few AMLU guys are working those playoff games, call them out individually. One thing is for sure, if they all agreed to work playoff games there would be a lot more of them working. So give most of those guys a little credit Sal.

Again, not every amateur is working as a replacement. If you insist on subjecting an entire group to ridicule and threats (yes, we recall those being tossed our way in March), then you have to accept that the same brush will be used to paint the AMLU gang.

Most of them have stayed true to their word. Just as you remain true to yours. I personally can't wait to see this thing get settled because I know a few guys very well and I care about them and their families. They are suffering in this more than anyone. More than someone who didn't recieve a playoff game and more than someone that has crossed a line. They are the ones that have to try to make ends meet any way possible because baseball doesn't care that a gallon of milk and a tank of gas costs more today than in 2000.

Please read what you wrote; no one forced those guys to sign a contract and no one forced them to go on strike. If they can't make ends meet, they can always ask to be released from their membership in the union and go another way. Further, a guy works his tail off all Spring - fifty games in the cold and rain - now it is time for him to get his due and an AMLU guy strolls in and takes the plum. You say that it is unimportant, but to many amateur umpires, those playoffs are their brass rings.

Seriously, lets try to look at both sides before casting stones. It sucks for every umpire out there right now. I would venture to say that even the replacements have a greater appreciation for the life style after working these games. A couple guys I know that are making $100/game are now talking to each other saying that they are underpaid for what they are doing.

I know of a couple that said that they work harder on a D1 game. A student of mine emailed me that he can't believe that he is getting paid to do this job. He gets to see some great ball and visit some cool parks.

See what I mean? Baseball is laughing at every umpire in america right now.

No, they are laughing at those who went on strike and are missing a nice season and throwing away their dreams.

Sal, you did what you believed was morally acceptable. If you are as talented as you say you are, then you did a disservice to every ball player, skipper and fan that may have enjoyed watching you work. I did not work games as a replacement either. But I know that if I gave my best effort to those people, I would have no problem sleeping at night. The game is bigger than any one participant.

socalblue1 Wed May 24, 2006 02:01am

Folks,

I promised an update as soon as I have facts from the individuals named in this post. I have spoken to two of the five so far and as soon as the ohters respond OR Wed night I will post.

As far as the AAA guys working MLB fill-in: This was a union choice made just before the WBC. It's now far too late to back out, as there is a valid agreement in place with MLB.

At least one poster has made what I fell is an accurate observation - had AMLU not approved the AAA umpires doing WBC, spring training or regular season this strike would have been settled long ago. This is my opinion & the AMLU may see things differently.

nickrego Wed May 24, 2006 02:16am

Way to go Sal !

Quote:

BA,
You make some good points. I'm just a little pissed off right now and I needed a place to vent. What bothers me the most is all I ever wanted to do is work ONE series at the AAA level to see what it was like and if I could handle it. Yet every pro or ex-pro I talked to said whether you work one game or 100 games, a scab is a scab and don't do it if you really want to support us (AMLU). So I struggled with it for about a week before declining the opportunity(s). Now I'm looking back and saying I probably missed the chance of a life time. Oh well.... at least I can look at the "man in the glass" and go to sleep at nite knowing I did the right thing.

Putting your own ethics, integrity, and self respect, ahead of self desires is not an easy thing to do...But you did it. Be proud of that.

BenedictArnold Wed May 24, 2006 02:21am

You can disagree with me and argue your points, but do not try to use my words against me WWTB. I cast no ill will, you are the only member that insists that he is always right. You try to say that these AMLU guys knew what they were getting into. No they didn't. This is the first negotiations to take place for this union. In this country, even the minimum wage is raised for our low class workers each year. You can never admit that someone has made a good point. You only say that they are getting what they deserved because they went on strike. As a member of an umpire union, you do not quit the union when the going gets tough. You stand beside each other and take the good with the bad. In the professional game, your reputation is more important than anything. Unlike the amateur field, it is not every man for themself. Sure there is competition, often very thick competition. But as you know, you live as a crew and you die as a crew. Respect and perception.

You cannot admit that a gallon of milk or gasoline was a lot cheaper in 2000 than 2006. You are an absolute joke. You should work as a replacement. You should do this because what you are doing is less noble. You sit at your computer and you feed off of those people that get upset with the AMLU. As Sal pointed out, he was upset and needed to vent. Then you sweep in like a predator to try and convince him that he should become a replacement. Where is the honor in that? Sal puts his name on his posts and I respect his opinion. I did not call him names and I tried to explain a different way to look at things. You remain negative and frankly, I don't care. In the end, Sal knows that I am trying to educate both professional umpires and amateur umpires through my own personal experience. I left baseball on my own terms. I am not bitter with baseball nor am I bitter with the AMLU. I want what is best for them and everyone else. You do not. You want to see them crumble so that you can sit and laugh and say "I told you so." In the end that may be the case and the union may fail. But the only guarantee is that you will be saying "I told you so" on this message board and you will never show your face. I remember the old days in the minor leagues. I even remember when you started off. Look at where you are now and ask yourself how you got there. It is not out of experience, it is out of hatred.

I have wasted too much time already on you. I refuse to stoop to your level. I will not take the bait and I will not engage in a discussion where you are always right and everyone else is always wrong (unless of course you are a replacement looking for some reassurance). To every replacement that reads this board, is this the kind of person you want defending what you are doing? I already know that answer.

WWTB, you do not need to respond to me. I already know your answers as well. I am not writing this to you, I am writing this so everyone else on this board can see what a one sided mind you are. Even though I know more than I am willing to share on this board, I nonetheless can also sleep at night. My reputation is very important to me and my dignity will never be compromised. You truly do not have a clue what you are talking about.

BA

WhatWuzThatBlue Wed May 24, 2006 04:29am

I must have missed a memo that put you in charge. I never said I was always right; it just so happens that I am correct very often. I make mistakes and I have been known to offer contrition. However, with most of this affair I have been dead on. Some of those that argued with me in October have come to understand that I know far more about what was happening than others suggested. I was lucky enough to have been asked to work at that level. Yes, I consider it fortunate to have worked for the miniscule pay check that accompanied the job. My opinions are borne of experience. I am certainly entitled to answer any point brought forth on this board. If you want to disagree with it, hone up your communication skills and debate it logically. Umpires should be used to heated arguments and others wanting to be correct.

You are incorrect to assume that I am twisting your words, but yes, I am using them against you. You have stated that the umpires did not know what they were getting into when they agreed to accept their assignments. That is rubbish...everyone at pro school knows the story and hears about the rotten life the contract brings. But to put it in terms you might understand, if a teacher takes a job at a school for $22,000 a year, he/she has little room to complain about the hours, conditions and salary that accompany an entry level position. He/she is valuable to the process and probably deserves more money, but he/she signed on the dotted line. If the local union decides to go on strike to seek raises, he/she can partake or move along. If the school board comes back and offers a pittance, he/she may feel abused but that is the system. She signed on for the job and that was the pay that was offered. She may not have been aware that salaries have not been increasing or that the system would treat her so poorly, but the Lord gave her free will. She can accept the conditions and do the job or she can try something else.

No one is holding a gun to the MiLB umpire's heads. They may dream of treading the parks of the Show, but the price to pay is steep. Musicians, artists and many tradesmen dream of glory but work for peanuts while paying their dues. Our country is in the midst of social upheaval over an immigration bill. These people come to our land and take menial jobs for peanuts. They accept their lot in life and work hard for something better. Why is it so hard for some to comprehend that there are no guarantees in life? I understand that the AMLU guys are only seeking a better living wage, but the boss has consistently said "No". They threats have fallen on deaf ears and they have been replaced easier than they ever dreamed would happen. While some grumbling is going on about consistency within the replacement ranks, the same is happening in the Majors. Was Bob Davidson an example of AAA consistency that some keep harping about?

I may not be correct on every issue, but I am certainly going to speak my mind when I have been intimately involved with the issue. For quite some time I have been the Devil's advocate regarding this matter. I was vilified for saying that the MiLB guys could be replaced. Others took umbrage at my insistence that the union would crack before MiLB/PBUC did. Still others ranted that I knew little about the offers on the table and that the strike would be over - "soon, very soon". So far, I have a pretty good record regarding this ordeal. You may not like what you read, but the passion is not misplaced. All along I wished that the strike would not happen, that the boys would wise up and not abandon their dreams. I did not accept assignments and chose to highlight the shameful actions of the Birmingham brass. My mind was made up when the March offer was refuted. My feelings have been justified by the Scab photos and articles. In a perfect world the members would rise up and form a new coalition. They would accept their plight and a small salary increase. These men would work hard to prove their merit and mend some fences. In the end, we would all be able to have a beer and realize our lot in life...thankless, humorless umpires.

I got my butt handed to me in the market yesterday, so you'll excuse my anger and condescension. We are all in this together, but only some of us are behaving. My words are just that...words. I have crossed no picket lines or posted incriminating photos. WHile you may not agree with my thoughts, my message has been steadfast and fairly honorable. I take issue with the brass and those who denegrate the good name of amateur umpiring. It wasn't long ago that those men were in the same boat as some of the replacements. I wonder if they would have been able to temper their passions and not accept assignments prior to their making it.

left coast Wed May 24, 2006 08:59am

Quote:

Folks,

I promised an update as soon as I have facts from the individuals named in this post. I have spoken to two of the five so far and as soon as the ohters respond OR Wed night I will post.

As far as the AAA guys working MLB fill-in: This was a union choice mad just before the WBC. It's now far too late to back out, as there is a valid agreement in place with MLB.

At least one poster has made what I fell is an accurate observation - had AMLU not approved the AAA umpires doing WBC, spring training or regular season this strike would have been settled long ago. This is my opinion & the AMLU may see things differently.

What "facts" are you rererring to?

socalblue1 Wed May 24, 2006 11:48am

Quote:

What "facts" are you rererring to?

Who/where/why

left coast Wed May 24, 2006 12:37pm

Quote:

Who/where/why

Didn't I already tell you who and where? You say that you will find out the facts, does that mean that you don't believe mine?

Sal Giaco Wed May 24, 2006 05:42pm

Quote:

...If you are as talented as you say you are, then you did a disservice to every ball player, skipper and fan that may have enjoyed watching you work...

I never made any references as to "how talented" I am. I go by my real name and I am no better than any other Div. I Conference umpire. The only reason I work the Northern and Frontier Leagues is because it is the best ball I can work during the summer time. The are many college umpires that have the skills to work those leagues - unfortuneatly, there just isn't enough spots.

As for the players, managers and fans, I never really cared for them and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.

Sal Giaco Wed May 24, 2006 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
Sal puts his name on his posts and I respect his opinion... In the end, Sal knows that I am trying to educate both professional umpires and amateur umpires through my own personal experience.

BA

BA,
I respect your opinions as well and appreciate the experiences you share with us. You have a very unique perspective (having both professional and amatuer points of view) and I think we can all benefit from your knowledge.

WhatWuzThatBlue Wed May 24, 2006 06:22pm

Good Lord, if he stops suddenly, you'd break your nose.

I could have sworn you recently said that moi should use his real name if he expected credibility from you. I'd happily put my resume up against anyone on this board, but this has never been about me. For four years I have repeatedly expressed my opinion based on my experience. I am not trying to sell a book, solicit assignments or look for kudos. Correcting disinformation or assisting a newbie were my goals. Long ago, I even tossed a few words of praise your way.

You and I feel passionately about the MiLB situation. Only one of us has maintained his position throughout. I have never thought that the AMLU gang was in it for anything other than themselves. I cautioned others about accepting assignments but also said that I understood why some would take them. I lauded those that crossed the line as knowing their places in the game. Further, when it came to the AMLU statements of exclusion, I told this board not to believe that they wouldn't swoop down and grab their games when the heat was put to their feet. You however, feel a pang of regret for falling for their lies. You didn't come to my side when I pointed out the hypocrisy of a news article regarding a couple AMLU guys working High School ball while on strike. I don't recall you chiming in when I spoke with contempt for the publishing of amateur's names and photos about 'Scabs'. The one who was true to his heart isn't hiding behind a nom de net, despite your misrepresentation. I know that my opinions may not be universally accepted - I am an umpire after all. However, your recent accusations and revelations lead me to believe that you had blinders on. Most skippers only ask for consistency from the crew - I expect that I just showed you why mine hasn't been questioned in a long time. Can you honestly say the same? However, I will retract all of this if Benedict Arnold's parents actually gave him that unique birth name. I mean, we can only give creedence to those using his legal name, right?

WhatWuzThatBlue Wed May 24, 2006 06:26pm

Quote:

I never made any references as to "how talented" I am. I go by my real name and I am no better than any other Div. I Conference umpire. The only reason I work the Northern and Frontier Leagues is because it is the best ball I can work during the summer time. The are many college umpires that have the skills to work those leagues - unfortuneatly, there just isn't enough spots.

As for the players, managers and fans, I never really cared for them and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.

For the record, that was supposed to be a compliment. You have mentioned the leagues and conferences (even in this very post) you worked with some amount of pride. I took those comments to mean that you were aware of your abilities. Lest you forget, you also wrote that you 'could umpire circles around me'. Considering that I have many years of D1 and Minor League ball under my belt, most would read that as braggadocio. Are you certain that you 'never made any references to how talented' you are? Lah me!

The fact that many college umpires are good enough to work those leagues but you get the games mean that you are either better than some, your assignor doesn't care or you're blackmailing/blowing someone. I would think you'd be happier if we assumed the first thought.

socalblue1 Wed May 24, 2006 07:39pm

Quote:

Didn't I already tell you who and where? You say that you will find out the facts, does that mean that you don't believe mine?

All things considered, no. I have no way of knowing how you came about the information nor do I have any clue as to your actual identiification (Not that it matters).

'Facts', as opposed to opinion, from an anonymous Internet message board must be verified before acceptance - that's just common sense. I would expect that you would do the same and would not be offended in the least.

WhatWuzThatBlue Wed May 24, 2006 08:40pm

Jim, you know how easy it is to contact anyone in the AMLU. Stop pretending that it is difficult to research the directory or send an email. You sound like you are asking a third party rather than just picking up the phone and confronting them. Their names will be a matter of record once the box scores are released.

Just in case, here's a guide:

SCB: Hi, ____________, how have you been?
Plum Picker: Okay, those f-ing scabs are ruining our plans.
SCB: Yeah, so much for brethren in blue, eh?
Plum Picker: Yeah, I thought that PBUC would be begging us back by now.
SCB: So...what are you doing? Working any games to keep the rust off?
Plum Picker: Hell yeah! I called the local assignor and he told me that he had plenty of games. I told him that I wouldn't work any underlevel crap though.
SCB: Well no sh#t, you are a professional for godsakes.
Plum Picker: So he gives me a couple late season things that way when I get the playoff assignments the peons won't be all upset.
SCB: I know what you mean.
Plum Picker: So, I've got a couple JUCO and HS playoffs now and the Legion tourney is going to be sweet money. I'll make more doing those games than I do in the Cal League.
SCB: Yeah, that money is good.
Plum Picker: The best part is that I can wear my dazzle cloth shirt with my Cal League hat and everyone will know I'm a pro.
SCB: Sweet!
Plum Picker: Now those scabs can watch me take their best games away from them. Let's see how they like it.
SCB: They probably won't be happy.
Plum Picker: Who cares? I went to pro school and earned the right to say no to Minor League games. If they want the chance to be considered equal they can say "No" too.
SCB: Well said.
Plum Picker: Hey, it was good to hear from you, but Springer is on and it's really good. I love watching people tear others apart in public. Take it easy dude. Let me know if you want any of these games.
SCB: Sure thing...bye.
(sound of phone hanging up and the line going dead)

Pete in AZ Wed May 24, 2006 11:06pm

These are great games and I'm having a great time.

I've ben reading all of these posts for a long time and just wanted to add my 2 cents. Around here there is a bunch of leagues and games to be had by those who scab. I am a scab and don't care what others think. When the strike was looming I received a couple calls to work. I went to Evans Academy a few years ago to get better but wasn't hired. I came back and teach here and umpire when I want. The games I have been taking are really the best baseball I've ever seen. My partners have been on top of almost everything and I've only heard good things from the players and coachs. I don't understand why so many are fighting over whether I'm worthy of working or not. Clearly I am and have been having fun doing it. I have been asked if I'm available for the remainder of the season and for any fall and winter ball that might come my way. I have already said that I am and know that the guys around here are ready too. When I first got out there I was nervous and made some adjustments. I know I've made mistakes but I've never met an umpire who was perfect. This has been the best month of my life and I'm making extra summer money instead of teaching an extra class. I'm not doing this because I hate the regulars or want them to lose a job. This is a chance for me to do something I've always wanted and have a lot of fun too. I know I will not make it to the big leagues and may never even be asked to be a full time substitute. That's okay, this is a great job and I only wish I would have been able to work more often. Some of you will hate me for doing these games. My friends say that they admire my courage. I am only doing it because I know I can. I hope you understand, no hard feelings from my side.

pdxblue Wed May 24, 2006 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete in AZ
I've ben reading all of these posts for a long time and just wanted to add my 2 cents. Around here there is a bunch of leagues and games to be had by those who scab. I am a scab and don't care what others think. When the strike was looming I received a couple calls to work. I went to Evans Academy a few years ago to get better but wasn't hired. I came back and teach here and umpire when I want. The games I have been taking are really the best baseball I've ever seen. My partners have been on top of almost everything and I've only heard good things from the players and coachs. I don't understand why so many are fighting over whether I'm worthy of working or not. Clearly I am and have been having fun doing it. I have been asked if I'm available for the remainder of the season and for any fall and winter ball that might come my way. I have already said that I am and know that the guys around here are ready too. When I first got out there I was nervous and made some adjustments. I know I've made mistakes but I've never met an umpire who was perfect. This has been the best month of my life and I'm making extra summer money instead of teaching an extra class. I'm not doing this because I hate the regulars or want them to lose a job. This is a chance for me to do something I've always wanted and have a lot of fun too. I know I will not make it to the big leagues and may never even be asked to be a full time substitute. That's okay, this is a great job and I only wish I would have been able to work more often. Some of you will hate me for doing these games. My friends say that they admire my courage. I am only doing it because I know I can. I hope you understand, no hard feelings from my side.

Good post! :D

BlueLawyer Wed May 24, 2006 11:52pm

The unitary AMLU

I am disappointed, to say the least, at AMLU members who (a) take college assignments at all and (b) take college post-season work, if any of that is happening, from umpires who busted a$$ to get those assignments. I have been on the receiving end of that situation before- getting denied a high school state tourney because some college umpire who has two high school games all season decided to go slumming. It sucks.

On the other hand, it is a mistake to assume that AMLU/Andy/The Board speak for all 200+ umpires all the time, especially the AAA umpires who have the most to lose. There are certainly divergent views out there on the strike in general and the details. It follows naturally that AMLU can't control what each of the 200+ does or if they take games in other leagues, no matter how hard AMLU wishes for that control.

That being said, the goals of the strike- a decent, living wage and per diem- are right. And MiLB/PBUC did not negotiate all winter long, apparently in the belief that AMLU umps would jump, chicken-on-a-junebug fashion, on the first ridiculous offer that came their way. So while there are those on this board who believe that AMLU is wrong, their leadership is wrong and thier goals are wrong, I still support them. And for their arrogant, take-it-or-leave-it negotiating tactics, PBUC shares equal blame for the strike, period.

By the way- my name is Steve Zega. I live in Fayetteville Arkansas, and I don't feel the need to "hide" behind a screen name.

Strikes and outs!

JRutledge Thu May 25, 2006 12:09am

You need to blame the assignors, not the umpires that accept those positions. There is nothing that says anyone cannot accept an assignment they are offered. If that was the case then every "scab" would not accept those assignments either. If an assignor does not want to hire an umpire that hardly works games during the regular season at a certain level, then they should not hire them at all. Also if someone worked all regular season and they were highly recommended, they deserve those assignments regardless of who they are.

Peace

NIump50 Thu May 25, 2006 12:38am

Quote:

You need to blame the assignors, not the umpires that accept those positions. There is nothing that says anyone cannot accept an assignment they are offered. If that was the case then every "scab" would not accept those assignments either. If an assignor does not want to hire an umpire that hardly works games during the regular season at a certain level, then they should not hire them at all. Also if someone worked all regular season and they were highly recommended, they deserve those assignments regardless of who they are.

Peace

J
I think you've said the same thing 5 different times, but you continue to miss the point.
1. AMLU said and I paraphrase We won't work amateur games
2. But wait, they are working amateur games and taking the plums to boot.
3. They lied
4. No need to blame anyone but the union and it's members.

If the union cannot control it's membership then they should not speak for the membership.
If the members won't listen to the union then why should the amatuer?

To use your logic, no blame or ill will should be given to the replacement, blame the assignor, MiLB
Is that how you feel?

JRutledge Thu May 25, 2006 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIump50
1. AMLU said and I paraphrase We won't work amateur games

So. If you were dump enough to think that was going to happen, shame on you for not using common sense.

Quote:

2. But wait, they are working amateur games and taking the plums to boot.

Taken from whom? If you were good enough to boot, then you would not have anything taken from you. BTW, I am sure many amateur umpires were not working games, they were scabbing.

Quote:

3. They lied

Lied to whom? They did not lie to me. I never heard a single Minor League umpire make that promise to me. The only place I have heard that claim was here. Also if that claim was made, I would not be dumb enough to expect them to hold to that if the strike went on for a long time. Many did not think it was going to go on this long. So I am sorry you believe everything that someone tells you.

Quote:

4. No need to blame anyone but the union and it's members.

I believe in taking responsibility for what I do. I do not blame other people because I could not cut it or what I did not accomplish. What you need to do is look right in the mirror and wonder why you were passed over. I was not passed over. And if I was I think union members are not the ones I would be looking at.

Quote:

If the union cannot control it's membership then they should not speak for the membership.
If the members won't listen to the union then why should the amatuer?

If you ever think the leadership of any organization can totally control the membership, then you must not be aware of how organizations are run.

Quote:

To use your logic, no blame or ill will should be given to the replacement, blame the assignor, MiLB
Is that how you feel?

You have the right to feel whatever you like. I just think you sound like a cry baby when you things do not go your way. If it was not the union, it would be something else. The union members did not give out assignments. I also feel that the assignors are not to blame. The assignors were doing their job. If some guys got screwed, will not be the first time and it definitely will not be the last.

Peace

NIump50 Thu May 25, 2006 02:30am

Quote:

So. If you were dump enough to think that was going to happen, shame on you for not using common sense.

Taken from whom? If you were good enough to boot, then you would not have anything taken from you. BTW, I am sure many amateur umpires were not working games, they were scabbing.

Lied to whom? They did not lie to me. I never heard a single Minor League umpire make that promise to me. The only place I have heard that claim was here. Also if that claim was made, I would not be dumb enough to expect them to hold to that if the strike went on for a long time. Many did not think it was going to go on this long. So I am sorry you believe everything that someone tells you.

I believe in taking responsibility for what I do. I do not blame other people because I could not cut it or what I did not accomplish. What you need to do is look right in the mirror and wonder why you were passed over. I was not passed over. And if I was I think union members are not the ones I would be looking at.

If you ever think the leadership of any organization can totally control the membership, then you must not be aware of how organizations are run.

You have the right to feel whatever you like. I just think you sound like a cry baby when you things do not go your way. If it was not the union, it would be something else. The union members did not give out assignments. I also feel that the assignors are not to blame. The assignors were doing their job. If some guys got screwed, will not be the first time and it definitely will not be the last.

Peace

J
I could care less what games any ump does. It's only an issue because AMLU said we won't do amateur. Whether or not I believed them is not the issue. Let's eleminate for the moment the responsibility the union member has to the union.
The union made a promise they either knew they couldn't keep,or had expectations from their members to honor the promise or just outright lied.
Which was it? And why did they say it to begin with?
Answer these two questions honestly and everything else falls into place.

You can hide your head in the sand all you want, it doesn't change the facts.
AMLU in an attempt to strengthen their position and dissuade amateurs from doing MiLB said in essence, you stay off our turf, we'll stay off yours.

I agree witha lot of what you say about who gets the work and who doesn't, but it's not the issue. I could care less where AMLU guys work.
But J don't tell me that it's ok for the individual AMLU member to break ranks and do amateur games but the replacement is a scab and worthy of being blackballed in the community.
Live on one side of the fence or the other.
It seems you have more misplaced loyalty to the union than it's actual members. Why is that?

WhatWuzThatBlue Thu May 25, 2006 06:06am

NI, you are trying to teach a pig to sing...it ain't happenin'.

Let it go; you'll never be able to explain to people like him what it means to be professional. When the AMLU site posted a notice stipulating that they would not work any amateur contests while on strike, that was merely a suggestion to their members (right!). If Jeff didn't receive an email asking him not to accept MiLB assignments, that speaks volumes about what others thought of him. I received a half dozen from mostly ML guys. They implored me not to cross their line and support my brothers in blue. I did not accept assignments, even when contacted by GMs and a local assignor. If Jeff did not recieve these calls it was likelly because they had never heard of him. The talent in the area is scouted and the best umpires are noticed. I'm sure that the same goes in your neck of the woods.

This strike went longer than any of them anticipated. The bank accounts are getting low and they need to bring home some bacon. I really couldn't care if they want to work some rec games or summer ball. Taking playoff assignments from the guys who earned them is worse than 'scabbing'. The replacements are accepting assignments that would go unfilled by the guys who earned the right to be there. The AMLU strikers have not worked forty game Springs (in the rain, snow and broiling heat). Now they want the plums and are only too happy to accept them. So much for being professional.

By the way - Pete in AZ don't be ashamed to work those games. Just do a great job and let the chips fall. Did you see if your photo is on the AMLU site? I wouldn't be surprised if someone snapped away and found one of you talking with a base coach - they'll label it "Scab getting red-assed for not hustling or blowing another balk call".

JRutledge Thu May 25, 2006 11:50am

Quote:

I could care less what games any ump does. It's only an issue because AMLU said we won't do amateur. Whether or not I believed them is not the issue. Let's eleminate for the moment the responsibility the union member has to the union.

I "couldn't care less" what you think about the union or what they said and did not say.

Quote:

The union made a promise they either knew they couldn't keep,or had expectations from their members to honor the promise or just outright lied.
Which was it? And why did they say it to begin with?

Who cares?

Quote:

Answer these two questions honestly and everything else falls into place.

You can hide your head in the sand all you want, it doesn't change the facts.
AMLU in an attempt to strengthen their position and dissuade amateurs from doing MiLB said in essence, you stay off our turf, we'll stay off yours.

Once again, who cares? If you were good enough you would get the assignments. If the Minor League umpires are not working pro ball anymore, they will flood the "market" of amateur games and the same thing will happen. Whether it is HS, college or any summer league that comes around the assignors are going to assign the best people available. If they do not hire the best officials, then that is something they will have to live with. I also say this because every sport I work someone complains they did not get a post season assignment. Someone always complains they did not advance further. Someone always complains it was some underhanded reason they did not get a shot. This is the same story all the time just a bunch of different circumstances.

Quote:

I agree witha lot of what you say about who gets the work and who doesn't, but it's not the issue. I could care less where AMLU guys work.
But J don't tell me that it's ok for the individual AMLU member to break ranks and do amateur games but the replacement is a scab and worthy of being blackballed in the community.

Who said anyone should be blackballed? It is clear you have never read any of my statements on this issue.

Quote:

Live on one side of the fence or the other.
It seems you have more misplaced loyalty to the union than it's actual members. Why is that?

Loyalty? What the hell does loyalty have to do with this issue? What I think you have is misplaced stupidity when you believe a statement (which I have yet to see outside of hearsay BTW) that no umpire was going to work games at any level what so ever. Not only would that be stupid to believe so, it would not be realistic. So you are going to tell me a guy that normally uses the money they make umpiring to support their family or any living expense is going to not work any games because a bunch of guys do not want them to? You have got to be kidding? ;) Now that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.

Peace

JRutledge Thu May 25, 2006 12:09pm

Quote:

If Jeff didn't receive an email asking him not to accept MiLB assignments, that speaks volumes about what others thought of him. I received a half dozen from mostly ML guys. They implored me not to cross their line and support my brothers in blue. I did not accept assignments, even when contacted by GMs and a local assignor. If Jeff did not recieve these calls it was likelly because they had never heard of him. The talent in the area is scouted and the best umpires are noticed. I'm sure that the same goes in your neck of the woods.

Not only did I receive an email, I talked directly to the people that sent out the email. I had drinks with the very people that sent out personal emails about the situation. There are two Minor League Umpires that work Basketball and we have been talking about this issue long before it was ever talked about on this or any website. I also did not read in any email that said they would not work any games of any kind under any circumstances. I was one of many that were asked directly by one assignor, "What do you think about me giving games to Minor League umpires games at our level?" The response from me and others is "We do not care." When this assignor every day is trying to fill games in afternoon to cover a game around 4:00 because of changes, why would I care if he gave an assignment to a Minor League guy? I have worked games all season with Minor League guys from time to time. I would work college games that were rescheduled and my partner would be a Minor League guy. Not everyone is available the day before to work a noon start.

Woooowwwww, I did not get a call. Man, how is my life going to go on? :rolleyes:

Peace

NIump50 Thu May 25, 2006 06:02pm

Quote:

I "couldn't care less" what you think about the union or what they said and did not say.

Who cares?

Once again, who cares? If you were good enough you would get the assignments. If the Minor League umpires are not working pro ball anymore, they will flood the "market" of amateur games and the same thing will happen. Whether it is HS, college or any summer league that comes around the assignors are going to assign the best people available. If they do not hire the best officials, then that is something they will have to live with. I also say this because every sport I work someone complains they did not get a post season assignment. Someone always complains they did not advance further. Someone always complains it was some underhanded reason they did not get a shot. This is the same story all the time just a bunch of different circumstances.

Who said anyone should be blackballed? It is clear you have never read any of my statements on this issue.

Loyalty? What the hell does loyalty have to do with this issue? What I think you have is misplaced stupidity when you believe a statement (which I have yet to see outside of hearsay BTW) that no umpire was going to work games at any level what so ever. Not only would that be stupid to believe so, it would not be realistic. So you are going to tell me a guy that normally uses the money they make umpiring to support their family or any living expense is going to not work any games because a bunch of guys do not want them to? You have got to be kidding? ;) Now that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.

Peace

I'm beginning to agree with WWTB.
First j I have never said one word about me getting or not getting assignments because of AMLU member actions. In fact I specifically said it has not affected me. It is not a personal battle I'm fighting here. For me, it's merely a discussion on a relevant topic to umpiring.
My posts have spoken to the issues of the strike relative to replacements and the responsibilities of the membership of AMLU.

2 questions.
Are the AMLU umps that are working amateur games supporting or opposing the replacements?
If the answer is supporting I commend them.
If the answer is opposing, in your world deep beneath the sand, do you see any hypocrisy at all, even a little bit?

WhatWuzThatBlue Thu May 25, 2006 06:40pm

Quote:

Not only did I receive an email, I talked directly to the people that sent out the email. I had drinks with the very people that sent out personal emails about the situation. There are two Minor League Umpires that work Basketball and we have been talking about this issue long before it was ever talked about on this or any website. I also did not read in any email that said they would not work any games of any kind under any circumstances. I was one of many that were asked directly by one assignor, "What do you think about me giving games to Minor League umpires games at our level?" Woooowwwww, I did not get a call. Man, how is my life going to go on? :rolleyes:Peace

Man, you can't read. You just wrote that you did not get a call asking you to work MiLB assignments. You also wrote that you did not receive the email that most of us did - the pseudo form letter - urging us to honor the strike. (That email has been posted here and other places. It specifically stated that they wouldn't work amateur level games since they were professionals.) Some of us received multiple copies of this plea and pledge. Maybe if you focused a little you would be able to follow along.

You refer to conversations with FVB9 regarding assigning those guys if they go on strike (Wow, do you think he would turn his back on his friends?). Again, that's not the call that some of us received and I referred to! You were not called to work as a replacement and wrote some smart *** reply without knowing all of the facts. Learn to read, then type...maybe we'll give you a little creedence then. You keep proving that my name is like Viagra to you. I would roll my eyes, but the rest of the board is doing it for me.

JRutledge Thu May 25, 2006 08:37pm

Quote:

I'm beginning to agree with WWTB.
First j I have never said one word about me getting or not getting assignments because of AMLU member actions. In fact I specifically said it has not affected me. It is not a personal battle I'm fighting here. For me, it's merely a discussion on a relevant topic to umpiring.
My posts have spoken to the issues of the strike relative to replacements and the responsibilities of the membership of AMLU.

Here is the thing. No one is going to change opinions based on what we say here. If you feel it is wrong for Minor League guys to take games at the amateur level, you have the right to that opinion. Just do not expect the rest of us to get on board with that point of view. I think officiating is for everyone that is asked and offered assignments. If you were an assignor then you would have that kind of say of who does your games. Half the time I just want a good umpire to show up and do the job. So I personally do not care. This is an issue for the assignor not me.

Quote:

2 questions.
Are the AMLU umps that are working amateur games supporting or opposing the replacements?
If the answer is supporting I commend them.
If the answer is opposing, in your world deep beneath the sand, do you see any hypocrisy at all, even a little bit?

Once again, one issue is in the pros and with a strike. The other is dealing with amateur sports and is about working in an independent contractor relationship with who gives you the games. I do not see the two things as the same no matter how you try to dress them up. The Minor League guys actually "work" for the pro leagues. I work where and when I want to as an umpire. Not the same issue.

Peace

JRutledge Thu May 25, 2006 08:43pm

Quote:

You refer to conversations with FVB9 regarding assigning those guys if they go on strike (Wow, do you think he would turn his back on his friends?). Again, that's not the call that some of us received and I referred to! You were not called to work as a replacement and wrote some smart *** reply without knowing all of the facts. Learn to read, then type...maybe we'll give you a little creedence then. You keep proving that my name is like Viagra to you. I would roll my eyes, but the rest of the board is doing it for me.

Why are you so obsessed with my relationship with Jeff? You act like Jeff is the only person I work for or deal with. Dude, I thought you knew me very well? I would not know what Viagra was like. I do not need such a product. You said it better than I did; your best days are behind you. ;)

Peace

WhatWuzThatBlue Thu May 25, 2006 08:54pm

My worst days are still better than your best.

You just tripped on your d*ck dude. You couldn't admit that you didn't read the entire post and then sidestepped it again. I don't care which assignor called you about assigning plum pickers. It still isn't what we were discussing. The fact remains, you don't know what you are talking about regarding this strike.

Admit it, you see my name and it gets you foaming at the mouth. Everyone can read and your retorts are getting ridiculous. You are so hell bent on proving that you know more that you fail to read what is written. You should hear what people really say about you. You may think that you are on the inside but it's just a game that they are playing at your expense. It's awfully funny.

JRutledge Thu May 25, 2006 09:12pm

Quote:

My worst days are still better than your best.

You just tripped on your d*ck dude. You couldn't admit that you didn't read the entire post and then sidestepped it again. I don't care which assignor called you about assigning plum pickers. It still isn't what we were discussing. The fact remains, you don't know what you are talking about regarding this strike.

It is clear that this is way more of an issue for you. I really do not care either way; my income is not based on this strike either way it goes.

Quote:

Admit it, you see my name and it gets you foaming at the mouth. Everyone can read and your retorts are getting ridiculous. You are so hell bent on proving that you know more that you fail to read what is written. You should hear what people really say about you. You may think that you are on the inside but it's just a game that they are playing at your expense. It's awfully funny.

My season will be over in about a week. Who cares what people think of my opinion on this?

Peace

WhatWuzThatBlue Thu May 25, 2006 09:52pm

Did anyone else notice the Rutledge two step?

When you can't answer the query it is best to change the subject. Thanks for the laugh, Jeff. You didn't know it, but your season was finished long ago.

WhatWuzThatBlue Fri May 26, 2006 01:07am

NI,
Just so you know...not all amateur umpires are considered independent contractors. In Illinois, that is the predominant view of High School umpires, but many recreational leagues employ a crew of umpires and treat them as employees. Several of the larger house leagues and more than a few village baseball associations have regular staffs that are controlled by boards. They have rights and benefits as such and often have waiting lists to become part of those crews.

The issue that was raised concerning the AMLU pros deciding to reneg on the promise is troubling. While they didn't sign en masse, the statement was issued by the union, posted on their site and distributed to mass media outlets. While I'm certain that individuals have different views from their leadership, it doesn't entitle them to break the offer free from admonishment. They want the benefits of the unions but not the constraints of the situation. Few of us were fooled by the ploy. It bothers me to think that those plum pickers are accepting those assignments. The amateurs didn't turn their backs on them. How would one of them feel if all season long, they consistently graded at the top of their league only to have a WUA crew come in and work the championship series and All Star games? That's right, they would be pissed at someone swooping in and grabbing the glory games.