Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Nit-Pick'n rules or are they

FED rule 1-3-1 - Baseballs

In addition to paragraph one, FED rule 1-3-1 says

The NFHS Authenticating Mark is required on all balls that will be used in HS competition.

FED rule 4-5-1 It is optional on the part of a state association as to whether protests are permitted.

I'm from NY State and we have Protests Procedures.

I think you know where I am going with this.

We had a game this year in which you guessed it improper baseballs were used.

Here's what happened. In the 4th inning of a particular game the VT coach picked up a foul ball, examined it and brought it to the attention of the PU. The baseballs did not have the NFHS authenticating mark on it nor was it on the current list of NFHS authenticated products listed on the Web-site.

The PU asked the coach what he wanted to do. The VT coach protested and the umpires made note of it. The game was completed and the VT lost.

The matter went to the protest Committee and to my surprise the Protest was upheld and the original game didn't count and had to be replayed from the beginning. I had the replayed game and it wasn't pretty. The HT won AGAIN (crushed them) but the point of this thread is:

Even Nit-pick'n rules can be subject to protest.

Do any of you have some stories about Protests in which you didn't think there was a prayer in h**l of being upheld but were.

Pete Booth
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Protests aren't allowed in PA either, but I think in some situations this could be a legitimate gripe..for example, many PONY certified balls have higher seams than NFHS certified balls...if you have a curve ball pitcher on the mound, this could make a world of difference....JMO