The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Business as usual...

Chalk this up as just another example of how well the Scabs are doing. I am sure that WWTB will claim this too as "business as usual" in the Minor Leagues, a fine example of the umpiring that all the players, managers, gm's, farm directors, and league presidents are so happy with. After all, this sort of thing happens everyday (throwing incidents that get so out of hand that a team takes a forfeit in a professional baseball game) right?

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3306516

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=53720272/K=ja...230.xml&coll=2

-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by JIGGY; Sun May 07, 2006 at 07:27am.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY
Chalk this up as just another example of how well the Scabs are doing. I am sure that WWTB will claim this too as "business as usual" in the Minor Leagues, a fine example of the umpiring that all the players, managers, gm's, farm directors, and league presidents are so happy with. After all, this sort of thing happens everyday (throwing incidents that get so out of hand that a team takes a forfeit in a professional baseball game) right?

If (when) the "professional" umpires (A.K.A. The Perfect 220) return to the minor leagues I hope that some of you continue to post articles like this should it ever happen to the Perfect 220. Of course we all know that since they are highly trained professionals things like 'bench clearing' brawls never happen....the Perfect 220 just would not allow it.

Sounds like some cry babies in managment..... Boo hoo "The umpire isn't doing what I think they should so I'm not going to play anymore." "I'm going to tell my mommie." Boo hoo....... Did you say professional teams? Their actions weren't very professional to me...think of the fans....maybe for a change?

If you, the members of the Perfect 220, are so concerned about the game then stop crying and go back to work and save the game...... You can borrow from Underdog as say, "Here I come to save the day!"
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Wrong animal superhero ..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
If (when) the "professional" umpires (A.K.A. The Perfect 220) return to the minor leagues I hope that some of you continue to post articles like this should it ever happen to the Perfect 220. Of course we all know that since they are highly trained professionals things like 'bench clearing' brawls never happen....the Perfect 220 just would not allow it.

Sounds like some cry babies in managment..... Boo hoo "The umpire isn't doing what I think they should so I'm not going to play anymore." "I'm going to tell my mommie." Boo hoo....... Did you say professional teams? Their actions weren't very professional to me...think of the fans....maybe for a change?

If you, the members of the Perfect 220, are so concerned about the game then stop crying and go back to work and save the game...... You can borrow from Underdog as say, "Here I come to save the day!"

That is Mighty Mouse famous quote.

Doug (Minister of Useless Information)
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
Really is it possible to close this thread already before it gets out of hand.. I mean can we just make one thread or sub-categorie called SCABS just so people who actually want to hear about that crap can go in there and read it and people who want baseball information about rules and officiating can come in hear without the constant babble. The majority of the people that use this site are not in the MiLB and will never be in the MiLB so fo us to have to listen to the same insolent ranting and raving day in and day out it quite boring at this point.

So Admin if you can hear me please make a new categorie so our MiLB guys have a place so they can voice their opinions and leave us amateurs to have our non-union amateur forum.

Just a humble request from a lowly bottom of the totem pole guy.

Thanx

Panama City Brian
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I tend to agree. It is getting a little old reading all the bickering. No one has convinced anyone else that their opinion is any more valid, so now I think we have people who just like to hear themselves talk continuing to post on the subject.

Let's move on...........

Tim.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
That is Mighty Mouse famous quote.

Doug (Minister of Useless Information)
Right you are, I stand corrected
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
there's no need to fear, Underdog is here.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY

You weren't there, so you shouldn't comment. If a certain manager would have had more control of his players, the game would have been finished - period. You would have thought Don ZImmer was there.
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaCityBrian
Really is it possible to close this thread already before it gets out of hand.
wont happen
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
wont happen

Yeah I know but I am just hoping someone who monitors this notices the direction the board is going.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

I wasn't there, so I obviously cannot comment on specifics. But reports in the papers state that one of the main arguments was that benches cleared twice, and no one was ejected from the Suns. From personal experience I can tell you that if you have a benches clearing situation and you decide to eject a player, you usually have at least one player from the other team that deserves to go. For example, how about the first guy that stepped out of the dugout. Last time I checked that was ejectionable since he left his position to participate in fight.

I can see why this happened. The one thing no one thinks about unless you have been in the game is that these players have been playing against each other for years. Warnings should have been issued in this game...they weren't. I am sure this is a combination of the strike and bad umpiring. AMLU umpires would have handled this a lot differently. That is what they are trained to do. And I am sure that the farm director knew exactly what to expect when he pulled his team off. A lot of press and to prove a point in that press. If you think they don't want AMLU umpires back you are wrong.

Also, I try not to be negative in my posts. Therefore, in regards to the cry baby reference about this situation...this is professional baseball. Managers are managing. This is not high school or college where they have total control of their players. Do not forget that a lot of these players have signed with bonuses. The true prospects know when they run a team. They also know that they will be at the next level next year while that manager will continue in that league.

I am very tired tonight and I apologize if my post is a little choppy. But I wanted to comment on this situation before I went to bed. At the very least, I expect this to make it to Pardon the Interuption.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Ok, let's talk about the fact that regardless of who worked the game and regardless of the fact that it was at one level and not another, why in the hell did the warnings at least not get put out there. And isn't the general fight-rule the same regardless of the level as it pertains to leaving you position to participate, the penalties are different, but tell me a level where it is ok. The guys should have at least been familiar with the rule.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest issue I have with the replacement umpires is that many feel endebted to the home team. I've witnessed newbie umpires at almost all levels fall for this. They aren't necessarily playing favorites, just letting certain things slide. It is certain that this is occuring in the Minor Leagues now.

But, before we get all high and mighty...we all do this. We have favorite skippers, players, fields and subconsciously justify our calls and behavior.

Since none of us was there, we don't know what was said or not. If warnings were issued or whether the crew was even aware of the bad blood is immaterial. New AMLU crews aren't anymore aware of a potential flareup than the replacements. These guys walked right into one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
I can see why this happened. The one thing no one thinks about unless you have been in the game is that these players have been playing against each other for years. Warnings should have been issued in this game...they weren't. I am sure this is a combination of the strike and bad umpiring. AMLU umpires would have handled this a lot differently. That is what they are trained to do. And I am sure that the farm director knew exactly what to expect when he pulled his team off. A lot of press and to prove a point in that press. If you think they don't want AMLU umpires back you are wrong.
How can you say that it was bad umpiring? Were you at the game? I guess you've never umpired a game that had a bench clearer. I've seen plenty of fights in my days and none of them was my fault.

SOME may want AMLU guys back, but it's not happening. At the Instructional levels they aren't even missed. In another two weeks, the D1 guys will have empty schedules and be ready for anything that comes their way. Stop pretending that amateur umpires are inept. I don't see asterisks by those standings.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

WWTB,

Here you go again. This is the problem with you. You quoted me, but you only took the part you wanted to quote. I stated that I wasn't there and that I needed to be there to speak about the umpiring. On the contrary to what you said, I have had several bench clearers. I have been in the middle of it. I have seen some coming, and others have jumped up on me. What I said is that never before have I ever seen benches clear twice in one inning and no warnings issued. Get a clue. Warning should have been issued, plain and simple. Then they decide to eject two players from one team. Hello, they were pushing and shoving each other. They may have got every pitch right in this situation and may have nailed every play on the bases. But as for this..."non routine"...situation, this was poor umpiring at best. They screwed this up.

You try to argue that AMLU guys are inexperienced. We heard you the first time. But here is a different view. AA guys are not inexperienced. This was a AA game. These umpires, no matter how long they have been umpiring High School and College, are not prepared to work before 8,000 in AA. Even D1 guys admit that every D1 umpire cannot walk onto a AA or AAA field without problems. If this was the Appy League or the NYP League then maybe you have a point. But AA guys are not inexperienced. They are TRAINED. But then again, even with the AMLU guys you see this all the time. Except for the part about the farm director coming on the field and the manager forfeiting the game. But now you can go and cut out my post here and use the part you want...that being where I said even with the AMLU guys you see this all the time. But this time, don't forget about the end of that statement.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Why would I reply to your entire post, when I only wished to address part of it? Are you that narcissistic?

* How do you know that no warnings were issued?
* I've seen benchs clear and the batter and pitcher stare each other down and no one got tossed - and yes, this was when I was in the Minors.
* This kind of dust-up will destroy even the most seasoned of crews. Don't give me any nonsense that a guy with two years of A and is in his fourth week of AA would know how to handle this any better.

This game was an aberation and the league will take issue with the talent, not the officials. While we all agree that the replacements may have handled it better, it is always easier to be a monday morning quarterback. I guess you are the only umpire, in the history of the sport, who called pefect games his entire career. It must be nice being you. Go back to sleep, I am.