The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Minor league baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26386-minor-league-baseball.html)

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 15, 2006 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dokeeffe
One thing is for sure: The days of "brothers in arms" is certainly over for what was once a fairly close umpire (at all levels) family.

Actually, we finally found out in no uncertain terms how the minor league umpires, fresh out of pro school and wet-behind-the-ears, really and truly felt about us "amateur" or "local charlie" umpires. They never really considered us as "brothers in arms," but rather as a bunch of smitties, regardless of our vast knowledge of the game and our years of battle on the diamond.

Their viewpoint concerning amateurs is without merit, as I personally have worked with a few pro school graduates who couldn't carry my mask to home plate.

His High Holiness Mon May 15, 2006 03:06pm

They are not my brothers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dokeeffe
One thing is for sure: The days of "brothers in arms" is certainly over for what was once a fairly close umpire (at all levels) family.

Another shameless advertisement:

Actually, this "brotherhood" has been more or less a fiction for years. The strike has only made the schism more visable. Read my series of articles for details.

Peter

socalblue1 Mon May 15, 2006 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by His High Holiness
Another shameless advertisement:

Actually, this "brotherhood" has been more or less a fiction for years. The strike has only made the schism more visable. Read my series of articles for details.

Peter

I would argue that it very much depends upon what part of the country one lives. In SoCal we have very few MiLB or MLB umpires living here, so the opportunity for interaction is limited. In other areas the releationship is quite good, esp. where the MiLB umpire(s) worked out of a local organization before pro ball. Other areas - well, frankly it can be ugly.

From my experience, a poor relationship often goes to a lack of understanding & communication between the groups. I have heard many MiLB AND NCAA umpires comment that while doing clinics for HS or college level umpires they often do not see the drive or desire that they have come to expect, which leads to a lack of respect in many cases.

bobbybanaduck Mon May 15, 2006 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Their viewpoint concerning amateurs is without merit, as I personally have worked with a few pro school graduates who couldn't carry my mask to home plate.

Steve,

There are numerous lightweight masks available. Maybe if you invested in one it would be easier for the newbies to carry it for you. Also, if your mask is as heavy as you imply, one of the lighter ones may take a lot of unnecessary pressure off of your neck. Just a thought.

briancurtin Mon May 15, 2006 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
Steve,

There are numerous lightweight masks available. Maybe if you invested in one it would be easier for the newbies to carry it for you. Also, if your mask is as heavy as you imply, one of the lighter ones may take a lot of unnecessary pressure off of your neck. Just a thought.

he wasnt talking about the weight of his mask there

jwwashburn Mon May 15, 2006 11:56pm

I think yer right...it was a hyberaphore.

bobbybanaduck Tue May 16, 2006 12:55am

apparently i wasn't laying the sarcasm on think enough for you, brian...i'll try harder next time.

briancurtin Tue May 16, 2006 01:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
apparently i wasn't laying the sarcasm on think enough for you, brian...i'll try harder next time.

i didnt get the memo, i was in serious-mode.