The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Closing and deleting threads.

I am a member and moderator of another board that uses this same (new) software.

On that board, members CANNOT delete their own posts so can't delete threads) or lock threads. A post can essentially be deleted by going in and editing the content out.

Too many times a good thread is started and the original poster decides he doesn't like the way the thread is going and all of a sudden the thread is gone or locked. Only the moderator should have that power and it should be used quite sparingly.

Does anyone actually care besides me?
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why would anyone care if someone wants to delete or close their own thread? If you do not agree with a thread being closed, start your own thread with a similar topic.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Why would anyone care if someone wants to delete or close their own thread? If you do not agree with a thread being closed, start your own thread with a similar topic.

Peace
A thread has 50 posts, some very well thought out and well-written. The OP doesn't like some of the posts or the direction of the thread and he decides to wipe out the whole thing. Just asking if that's as it should be.

I'll mark you down with your usual "I don't care" vote.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You are right I do not care what someone wants to delete when they created it. It might not make since to you or me, but it does not have to.

You were at one time a moderator, why did you not raise that issue at that time?

Why not start a poll on the subject?

Peace
I'd rather not bring something like that up when working as a moderator. But it's just idle thought during lunch today. I suspect I'm the only one who cares and if that's the case, maybe I'll end up deleting the thread
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'd rather not bring something like that up when working as a moderator. But it's just idle thought during lunch today. I suspect I'm the only one who cares and if that's the case, maybe I'll end up deleting the thread
Actually you are not the only person that feels that way. I can think of at least two threads started with the same topic and premise in the past. I just do not know why anyone would care if someone that created a thread wanted to delete it. I think Chuck E gets all upset about this topic every other year.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Actually you are not the only person that feels that way. I think Chuck E gets all upset about this topic every other year.
How the heck did my name get mixed up in this? I've been here for 5 years, and I've never once posted about deleting your own thread.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

In JR's world, he professes to not care about anything, nor ever understand why anyone would ever care about anything. If I had a dime for every JR response that says, "Why would anyone care...", I'd be rich. JR - take it as a hint that if people are responding, they are doing so because THEY CARE about the topic. Does it really matter why they would care?

And that's not even touching on the fact that you care enough to waste typing energy to denigrate the fact that someone else cares.

I too feel like Rich does. There was at least a couple recently where good discussion was happening (as opposed to the normal insulting of each other that seems to be the norm recently), yet because the person who happened to start the thread (someone who was no longer even participating in the discussion, by the way) decided he didn't like the thread anymore, the good discussion was deleted.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
My thread about Working The Plate Without An Indicator has been closed, but not by me.

There are 45 total posts, is that the limit ?

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in that post to cause it to be closed for any other reason. Some typical Flamers and Trolls, that most of us just ignore.

Tim,

Just for the record, I am not a Proponent of working without an Indicator. I think it's a personal choice, and acceptable either way. I also don't think using an Indicator makes you any less of an umpire, or not using an Indicator makes you any better of an umpire. How you call the game is all that is important. (unless your wearing a t-shirt, cut-offs, and all your gear on the outside)

Nick
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry your thread was hi-jacked by myself and Jeff. I just thought it was at least worthy of a discussion without all the emotion.

Tim.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry your thread was hi-jacked by myself and Jeff. I just thought it was at least worthy of a discussion without all the emotion.
I asked a question and you got emotional about it. I did not hijack a damn thing. This is a discussion board and that is what people do here, "DISCUSS."

Peace
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I would appreciate it if you people wouldn't hijack MY thread just because the other one was closed. Jeez, maybe we DO need the ability to delete threads.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I would appreciate it if you people wouldn't hijack MY thread just because the other one was closed. Jeez, maybe we DO need the ability to delete threads.
You DO have the ability and always have had the ability (even in the last software).

Peace
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 02:27pm

I find that I don't really care whether or not Rutledge really cares.

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my world when you stand for nothing you will fall for anything.
Ah... so THAT's what you're doing when you answer nearly every thread with "Why would anyone care?"... taking a stand. Uh... whatever.

Quote:
Take a hint from the way I respond to these threads. If I really, really cared, then why would I say things that are going to get a negative response?
And if you didn't care, why would you bother to try to hijack 50% of the threads away from any actual usefulness.

Quote:
Also I am not sure why someone comes to a discussion board and is afraid to hear the opinions of those that are contrary to their opinion.
I don't think I could ever be lopped into the crowd of being afraid to hear contrary opinions. I think that label would be more fitting to someone who tries to shut out any true discussions with continual red herrings. Read anything familiar here, JR? It does beg the question: If you don't care about any of this why do you waste your (and OUR) time letting us know how inane our little opinions are? I've yet to see a single posting of yours that furthers ANY topic. So, to find out the answer to your own question, I have to ask: Why DO you come here?
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie opinion here... I would think that if you start a thread you should live with the consequences - especially if others have invested their time to craft responses appreciated by others. Deleting a thread should be a moderator-only capability - let the thread-starter make their case to the moderator if they want the thread to go away.