The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Closing and deleting threads. (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26032-closing-deleting-threads.html)

Rich Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:13pm

Closing and deleting threads.

I am a member and moderator of another board that uses this same (new) software.

On that board, members CANNOT delete their own posts so can't delete threads) or lock threads. A post can essentially be deleted by going in and editing the content out.

Too many times a good thread is started and the original poster decides he doesn't like the way the thread is going and all of a sudden the thread is gone or locked. Only the moderator should have that power and it should be used quite sparingly.

Does anyone actually care besides me?

JRutledge Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:16pm

Why would anyone care if someone wants to delete or close their own thread? If you do not agree with a thread being closed, start your own thread with a similar topic.

Peace

Rich Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Why would anyone care if someone wants to delete or close their own thread? If you do not agree with a thread being closed, start your own thread with a similar topic.

Peace

A thread has 50 posts, some very well thought out and well-written. The OP doesn't like some of the posts or the direction of the thread and he decides to wipe out the whole thing. Just asking if that's as it should be.

I'll mark you down with your usual "I don't care" vote.

Rich Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:36pm

Quote:

You are right I do not care what someone wants to delete when they created it. It might not make since to you or me, but it does not have to.

You were at one time a moderator, why did you not raise that issue at that time?

Why not start a poll on the subject?

Peace

I'd rather not bring something like that up when working as a moderator. But it's just idle thought during lunch today. I suspect I'm the only one who cares and if that's the case, maybe I'll end up deleting the thread :D

JRutledge Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'd rather not bring something like that up when working as a moderator. But it's just idle thought during lunch today. I suspect I'm the only one who cares and if that's the case, maybe I'll end up deleting the thread :D

Actually you are not the only person that feels that way. I can think of at least two threads started with the same topic and premise in the past. I just do not know why anyone would care if someone that created a thread wanted to delete it. I think Chuck E gets all upset about this topic every other year. :D

Peace

ChuckElias Tue Apr 11, 2006 01:13pm

Quote:

Actually you are not the only person that feels that way. I think Chuck E gets all upset about this topic every other year. :D

How the heck did my name get mixed up in this? I've been here for 5 years, and I've never once posted about deleting your own thread. :confused:

mcrowder Tue Apr 11, 2006 01:18pm

In JR's world, he professes to not care about anything, nor ever understand why anyone would ever care about anything. If I had a dime for every JR response that says, "Why would anyone care...", I'd be rich. JR - take it as a hint that if people are responding, they are doing so because THEY CARE about the topic. Does it really matter why they would care?

And that's not even touching on the fact that you care enough to waste typing energy to denigrate the fact that someone else cares.

I too feel like Rich does. There was at least a couple recently where good discussion was happening (as opposed to the normal insulting of each other that seems to be the norm recently), yet because the person who happened to start the thread (someone who was no longer even participating in the discussion, by the way) decided he didn't like the thread anymore, the good discussion was deleted.

nickrego Tue Apr 11, 2006 01:19pm

My thread about Working The Plate Without An Indicator has been closed, but not by me.

There are 45 total posts, is that the limit ?

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in that post to cause it to be closed for any other reason. Some typical Flamers and Trolls, that most of us just ignore.

Tim,

Just for the record, I am not a Proponent of working without an Indicator. I think it's a personal choice, and acceptable either way. I also don't think using an Indicator makes you any less of an umpire, or not using an Indicator makes you any better of an umpire. How you call the game is all that is important. (unless your wearing a t-shirt, cut-offs, and all your gear on the outside)

BigUmp56 Tue Apr 11, 2006 01:29pm

Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry your thread was hi-jacked by myself and Jeff. I just thought it was at least worthy of a discussion without all the emotion.

Tim.

JRutledge Tue Apr 11, 2006 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry your thread was hi-jacked by myself and Jeff. I just thought it was at least worthy of a discussion without all the emotion.

I asked a question and you got emotional about it. I did not hijack a damn thing. This is a discussion board and that is what people do here, "DISCUSS." :D

Peace

Rich Tue Apr 11, 2006 01:39pm

I would appreciate it if you people wouldn't hijack MY thread just because the other one was closed. Jeez, maybe we DO need the ability to delete threads.

JRutledge Tue Apr 11, 2006 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I would appreciate it if you people wouldn't hijack MY thread just because the other one was closed. Jeez, maybe we DO need the ability to delete threads.

You DO have the ability and always have had the ability (even in the last software). ;)

Peace

SanDiegoSteve Tue Apr 11, 2006 02:27pm

I find that I don't really care whether or not Rutledge really cares.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_6_111.gif

mcrowder Tue Apr 11, 2006 02:41pm

Quote:

In my world when you stand for nothing you will fall for anything.

Ah... so THAT's what you're doing when you answer nearly every thread with "Why would anyone care?"... taking a stand. Uh... whatever.

Quote:

Take a hint from the way I respond to these threads. If I really, really cared, then why would I say things that are going to get a negative response?

And if you didn't care, why would you bother to try to hijack 50% of the threads away from any actual usefulness.

Quote:

Also I am not sure why someone comes to a discussion board and is afraid to hear the opinions of those that are contrary to their opinion.

I don't think I could ever be lopped into the crowd of being afraid to hear contrary opinions. I think that label would be more fitting to someone who tries to shut out any true discussions with continual red herrings. Read anything familiar here, JR? It does beg the question: If you don't care about any of this why do you waste your (and OUR) time letting us know how inane our little opinions are? I've yet to see a single posting of yours that furthers ANY topic. So, to find out the answer to your own question, I have to ask: Why DO you come here?

jkjenning Tue Apr 11, 2006 04:27pm

Rookie opinion here... I would think that if you start a thread you should live with the consequences - especially if others have invested their time to craft responses appreciated by others. Deleting a thread should be a moderator-only capability - let the thread-starter make their case to the moderator if they want the thread to go away.