Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Plate Shoes

Guys-

Sorry for this post, but it is the only way I can get out to all at one time:

I am new to baseball and I am looking for a pair of size 12 plate shoes. Right now, I do not have the funds to purchase full price and I was told by a friend that I should get them before I do any games.

So, does anyone know of someone selling size 12 plate shoes?
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I would give them to you if I had them. In fact I gave a new guy shins, a mask, and +POS CP this year. I had the stuff in storage and I remember getting a hand up when I got started.

My suggestion to you would be to ask your local groups and see if they have some type of set-up. I know guys have given all kids of stuff out in the groups that I work for in the past and they still do.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

You could get some steel-toe shoes from Wal-Mart or something until you have the $$ to get some plate shoes.

Hope this helps, good luck
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Plate shoes

CJN has some good advice. When I got started I went to SEARS and got a pair of steel toed black sneakers. Work well for my first few seasons. You may want to try Ebay as well. I have seen all kinds of equipment, in poor shape to like new for sale on there.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Don't be skimpy

Sketcher's brand all black tennis shoes with steel toes run about $55 plus tax. Add the metatarsil and ankle protection from extended shin/leg guards and you should be in good shape for 2-3 years or more. Buy the shoes a size larger because the steel toe tends to vibrate when hit. The vibration only lasts a second or two. It doesn't feel good on the toes, but that vibration means your small investment paid larger DIVIDENDS.

Also think about your weakest link, between mask and CP. Add an extended throat guard over the chin on your traditional mask. I would call in plain black dress shoes or sneakers before I removed my $8 throat guard. Its the best investment I have made.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Sketcher's brand all black tennis shoes with steel toes run about $55 plus tax. Add the metatarsil and ankle protection from extended shin/leg guards and you should be in good shape for 2-3 years or more. Buy the shoes a size larger because the steel toe tends to vibrate when hit. The vibration only lasts a second or two. It doesn't feel good on the toes, but that vibration means your small investment paid larger DIVIDENDS.

Also think about your weakest link, between mask and CP. Add an extended throat guard over the chin on your traditional mask. I would call in plain black dress shoes or sneakers before I removed my $8 throat guard. Its the best investment I have made.

I've never heard someone suggest that you wear a shoe a full size larger than normal just because it has a steele toe. The idea that the toe of the shoe vibrates is almost as absurd as the idea that a baseball can defy the laws of physics. I suggest that if you don't want to be wearing shoes that are uncomfortable you disregard SA's advice and get a pair that fit you.

Tim.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

LoL @ vibration off the steel toed shoes!

Must be caused by the shockwave of the rising fastball!

Maybe Schetchers shoes run small, but the plate shoes that I have, +POS and Gerry Davis run true to size. Sears makes a black, athletic style, steel toed shoe. I started out with those, also true to size, and they worked fine. 30-40 bucks.

SA, if you're trying to funny, it just ain't workin'.

If you're just stupid, well, God bless ya.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Test it yourself, Gong

"SA, if you're trying to funny, it just ain't workin'."

A world of difference boyz.

1) Shoe size: Many shoes fit well one size larger. Any person buying a pair of $100 sneakers can attest to that fact. Please WEAR multiple oderless athletic SOCKS.

2) Put on your best pair of steel toe shoes. Then go out and kick something very hard. Two things are possible. 1) You damage whatever you kick or 2) you damage your foot or leg. Either way, you'll hear the difference and shoe size will not matter as much as the damaged matter.

3) Any sound you hear after a CRASH betweeen two objects is a result of a VIBRATION traveling through AIR and reaching your inner EAR.

Like it or like GOD or like physics.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 10:14pm.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Lo-er

I use to respond quid pro quo to these attacks. Tee and BU are most notorious.

But then I found that my posts were deleted. Its funnier to read between their LINERS.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
I bought a pair of Steel toed construction shoes at a local show shop on sale. They shine well and have a little tread. If you find a pair of shoes w/o tread a local show repair place can cut some.

Had them sized for my feet and have yet to feel any vibration on those toe hits.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Red face oh, Shoe Expert?

From http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes-anatomy.html

"There are also lots of wisecracks in the discussion forums about shoe size not being important, it's the width that matters. (It's even harder to find data on shoe width ..."

"Your feet continue to grow, so age makes a difference."

One size larger isn't that much of a difference for me to argue. But if age makes a difference, then growing feet make a difference. If growing feet make a difference, then my advice to buy shoes one size larger is better than the other advice given to buy a shoe that fits.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking A Lady Friend

Its not the size of the steel-toe shoes that matter, it's how you use them and how often you use them.

Search Shoe Size --> If the shoe fits, then wear it.

Nonsensical? Please make sure your seated and ready for THIS.

Syllogism: syl·lo·gism [ síllə jìzzəm ] (plural syl·lo·gisms), noun
Definitions:
1. logical argument involving three propositions: a formal deductive argument made up of a major premise, a minor premise, and a conclusion. An example is, "All birds have feathers, penguins are birds, therefore penguins have feathers."
2. deductive reasoning: reasoning from the general to the specific
3. example of deduction: an example of deductive reasoning
4. specious argument: a subtle piece of reasoning, or one that seems true but is actually false or deceptive
[14th century. Via Latin < Greek sullogismos < sullogizesthai "infer" < logos "reason"]

-----------------------------
Now if YOU say Syllogism to your LADY friend three times in a hurry. She'll either freak or ask if your're wearing protection.

Keep your eyes closed and say aloud, "Yeah, I've got my steel-toed shoes on." Then lay back and wait for the VIBRATIONS.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 06:32am.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Wink Hey Shoeless Beach Boy

Back on the subject of BASEBALL Plate Shoes.

You are PU and you take a foul ball off your NEW Steel-toed shoes. How do you know?
A) It fits
B) The richochet
C) A good vibration
D) Tracking

Get big-ump shoes ONE size larger.
Toe envy or feet fettish or common sense-eh?
Think about it a little longer this time.

Remember your feet swell, your feet sweat, and PU ALWAYS STINK.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 05:22am.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Moderator.

Any chance of dumping this guy? It's one thing to post nonsense, and try to be funny. It's quite another to misdirect folks, especially the new umpires, with bogus information.

Do not, DO NOT buy plate shoes that don't fit properly.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

OK. Thanks to all who have given quality and creditable information in reguards to the posy on plate shoes. I am not a shoe or foot expert, but I think I am sure how to purchase shoes!

To those who give questionable or bogus information, thanks, but no thanks!

If you want to get rid of these guys who are posting, just to post, simply ignore them and do not get baited into arguing the obvious. We are ALL intellegent people and can seperate the trivial from good advise to the crap spewing from then unintellegent.

Thanks again to all