The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think many more words are needed.

Doubleday must be spinning in his grave.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

You mean Naismith right?

I do not know why the tournament is just going fine. A couple of big upsets are good for the tournament. I have been watching all day long on my computer.

Oh, you are talking about the World Baseball Classic that hardly anyone is watching. Wake me up when the general public gives a damn.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 12:37am

We are pretty interested in the WBC here in San Diego, since we are hosting the finals.

Choking could also describe my alma mater, SDSU, who just got done blowing several 10 point leads to give away the game to Indiana.

Between USA gagging the game with Mexico, and the Aztecs doing the same with the Hoosiers, this has been one crappy sports night in my living room.

Too late.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting comments!

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
I don't think many more words are needed.

Doubleday must be spinning in his grave.
Well it is good baseball, if you like pitching.

Here is my take on the comments:

USA batters: Its too early in the season and we haven't gotten our swing down yet...?? Say what?

Bottome line is the USA hitters were handcuffed by "good pitching". The pitchers that MLB puts out nightly are simply okay by the worlds standards now. That's why you have so many hitters batting 300+ that simply aren't that good come playoffs etc.,

And from ESPN - after the USA lost - "it seems that the rest of the world is finally catching up with the USA."

Say what? They've caught up and are passing the USA.
Maybe the MLB execs could look for their next draft picks in Japan or maybe Korea?

Thanks
David
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Look at the rosters of the WBC. See how many are on MLB teams. It seems that GMs have been searching far and wide for a lot longer than some have given them credit. This reminds me of a thread from long ago. One of the resident race baiters made a comment about African American athletes after Bonds broke McGwire's home run record. A few slings were tossed and the dialogue took an interesting twist. You know who said that they have been controlling the pinnacle of major sports for twenty years. He had to be reminded that African Americans are very different from Dominicans, Venezuelans, Haitians, Cubans, Nicaraugans, Panamanians, etc. Look at those rosters again and you'll see that the world has passed America by long ago.

Drive by your local baseball field on a weekday afternoon. How many pick up games are going on? When I was much younger, we finished school and all grabbed our mitts. We didn't care who was playing as long as a game was to be had. If you ever wonder why our baseball prowess is lacking, blame the rich for seeking private coaching and video games for wasting hours of outdooor fun. Even the poorest nations play better than we do and they do it on the dream of becoming a MLB star.