The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I was hoping some of you guys can help determine if this is a foul ball or a fair ball. Here is the play

Batter hits a pop up about 5 feet down the 1st base line. The catcher goes after the ball. The catcher is clearly in FOUL terrirtory. He reaches out attempting to make the catch his hand goes over the Foul line into FAIR Terrirtory. The ball bounces off his glove and lands in FAIR territory. Is this a Fair ball or Foul ball?

I've had many discussion with lots of baseball fans as well as well respected umpires in my area. Some say it is a FOUL ball because the player was in FOUL terrirtory. Others say it doesn't matter where the player is.

I say FAIR BALL because the ball would've landed in fair territory if the catcher didn't touch the ball. I think it is irrevelant as to where the player is. You make the call as to where the ball is.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
It does not matter where the player is or where the ball would have landed had it not been touched.

Was the in foul territory when touched - if so foul, if not then fair.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 08:40pm

It is the position of the ball in relation to the vertical plane of the foul line at the time the ball was touched. If the ball was over fair ground, it is a fair ball. The fielder's position is irrelevant.

Sorry jxt, I didn't see your post.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

jxt nailed it. You were right, PJ. Where the fielder is has nothing to do with whether a ball is fair or foul. The only thing that matters is where it would have landed if untouched. By your account of the sitch - I say you have a fair ball.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 08:43pm

Darien, as jxt said, where the ball would have landed is also irrelevant. It only matters where the ball is when it's touched.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

PJUMP -

The answers given are correct, but if you or others at our place want to see it in writing get a copy of the Official Baseball Rules and see the definitions of FAIR BALL and FOUL BALL found in Rule 2.00. They both include the statement that it is the position of the ball, not the fielder, that makes the determination
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Darien, as jxt said, where the ball would have landed is also irrelevant. It only matters where the ball is when it's touched.
True enough. I was taking into account something along the lines of IFF. Putting more into it than necessary. Where it is touched is the determining factor.