The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'm looking for a new pair of shinguards. The Wilson Triple Knee Shinguards are at the top of my list at the moment. Anyone who has these can you please provide a performance rating. If anyone else has any other recommendations I'd appreciate it.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 05:28pm

canablue,

These shinguards by Douglas are on my wish list. I know several umpires who own them, and they say that they are the best. Many umpires on this board will attest to their customer service and quality as well.

http://www.douglaspads.com/pc/viewPr...6&idproduct=25
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Gerry Davis Shin Guards

I have them and really like them. Only two straps so no irritation behind the knee and easy to put on and take off. Several direct hits and no pain or feeling whatsoever. Instep protector is removable with velcro attachment if you wear high tops. I have Gerry Davis high top shoes and really like them too. Just my two cents.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

i think the wilson triple knee are overkill. heavy and bulky. i bought them and then returned them shortly thereafter. i then bought the wilson double knee - grey shinguards PR4367 ~ Wilson Leg Guards. available a gerry davis and other outlets. good quality, protection and mobility. i think i am going to remove the shoe flap as it is a bit of overkill with decent plate shoes.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I've been using the Honig's K-30's for years.

They protect you against anything you will see, are very light weight, and will last 10+ years if you take care of them.

At $69, they are an outstanding value.

Just a note, I think I have been hit in the upper thigh pad maybe 3 or 4 times that I can remember, so I don't think having the 3rd pad is all that important. I continue to use them because they allow me to somewhat hide my hands behind them, while using the Gerry Davis Stance.

Nick
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canablue05
I'm looking for a new pair of shinguards. The Wilson Triple Knee Shinguards are at the top of my list at the moment. Anyone who has these can you please provide a performance rating. If anyone else has any other recommendations I'd appreciate it.
In 28+ years of umpiring, I have NEVER worn better guards than the Gerry Davis shin guards. I fell in love with them for, among other reasons, one main reason: the knee protection. On every other guards I've ever used that had those hinged knee pads, a direct shot there could definitely be felt. Not so with the GD guards.

They're very light, easier to clean, and the best protective guards I've ever worn, hands down.