The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

High school game with runners on first and second with no outs ground ball hit to third for 5-4-3 double play.
The runner on first was called for an illegal slide into second, the runner on second advanced to the third on the play he was made to return to second because of the illegal slide. Is this the correct call?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rodneyw
High school game with runners on first and second with no outs ground ball hit to third for 5-4-3 double play.
The runner on first was called for an illegal slide into second, the runner on second advanced to the third on the play he was made to return to second because of the illegal slide. Is this the correct call?
Yes. All runners return to the base occupied TOP on a FPSR violation.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, very much appreciate it.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

why would the runner have to return to second base. if the runner on first was called out for illegal slide it doesnt make tha a delayed dead ball or a dead ball. he should have a right to stay at thrid.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Negative. Immediate dead ball, INT is called, runner is out.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

The penalty for FPSR violation is the violater is out, and the batter, and all other runners return to base occupied at TOP. The solution is for coaches to educate the players on the rule, and coach accordingly. It's pretty simple. I have no sympathy for them.

I don't know how many times I have heard "you need to break up a double play". I hope they are coached to do it legally because illegally is a FPSR violation. I usually get a tiny argument when I call it, especially if it erased a run (ie runner on 3B at the time).
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grgcdp1
why would the runner have to return to second base. if the runner on first was called out for illegal slide it doesnt make tha a delayed dead ball or a dead ball. he should have a right to stay at thrid.
The rationale for sending all runners (who are not out) back to their time-of-pitch bases is this: when the offense commits a major violation like interference, they should not benefit as a team in any way.

If we didn't send runners back, teams would adopt interference as a kind of sacrifice strategy, like a fielder's choice.