The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

You/I have a close play at first and call the B/R out. Here comes the Coach with a strange look on his face. It has always made me wonder what the coach was really after when the first words out of his mouth are:

“What did you see Blu?”

You/I think to yourself Â…. what did I see? Â… the same thing he saw Â… a close play at first Â…. my judgment said he was out so I whacked him Â…Â…

I always get an uneasy feeling in my stomach when the “what did you see” line comes out. What is it that he really wants to hear? Often, no matter what is said the coach seems to be looking for a word or words from you that he can argue over.

On a pure judgement call, what do you think the coach is really after when he uses the “what did you see line”?

What reaction should you/I have when we honestly say … “we had a close play at first and in my judgment … he was out ” isn’t good enough.

What else is there to say ????
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

This is a setup - don't bite! Answer with "You know what I saw skip - what did YOU see?"

Let him talk for 20 seconds or so, then decide how to finish the conversation.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 1 of Game Management: The person asking questions is in control. socal handled it well. I usually tell them what I saw and then ask the question, because it never hurts to tell them something they didn't know. "Skip, your boy was off the bag. Did you see him come down and miss the base?"
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

I close my eyes and imagine Don Knotts as an umpire making a whacker call and then having a coach come out to argue. Man would that be a funny scene!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:57pm

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I close my eyes and imagine Don Knotts as an umpire making a whacker call and then having a coach come out to argue. Man would that be a funny scene!
He would no doubt tell the coach to "nip it, nip it in the bud!!! Take a lock!!!"

From Barney to Limpit to Furley, we will all miss you, Don
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

First, RIP Barney Fife.

Next, I work both sides of the aisle, so as a manager I ALWAYS ask the umpire what he had on this play. ALWAYS. It's courteous, not confrontational and informative.

I encourage managers to do the same with me. I've got no problem telling anyone what I saw. 9 times out of 10 it will end a conversation right there.

"I had the perfect angle to see the ball picked up just before your runner hit the bag. Anything else?"
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Generally, "what did you see?" is the first thing I ask a coach when they come out. I don't have a problem answering that question, it's either, "I saw him out", or "I saw him safe".

You'd be surprised how many times you can ask the coach what he saw and find out he didn't even see the play. Which makes for a very quick conversation, our ultimate goal.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Don Knotts has passed away today.

Yes. Don Knotts and two other appealing actors, Dennis Weaver and Darren McGavin, died over the past few days, all three at age 81.

Once a batter hit a roller about 5 feet up the 1B line, and the catcher picked it up 6 inches foul. "Foul," I call. As I'm getting back to my position, the coach, who was in the 3B box, asked, "Blue! Was that ball on the foul side of the line?"

I almost answered, "Yes," but instead I did something out of character and said, "No, coach. It was on the fair side of the line. I just felt like calling it foul."

The opposing coach said, loud enough for me but not the 3B coach to hear, "Gotta love ya, Blue."
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:11pm

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

This reminds of a story of a time when I went to a party at the Playboy Mansion. I was touring the joint with Mick Jagger, and we opened a door to one of the bedrooms.

Much to our surprise, we saw Hugh Hefner on top of Dennis Weaver. We just shut the door and didn't think much about it. However, it did become the inspiration for one of the Rolling Stones biggest hits. Maybe you remember the lyrics. They went something like this.

Hey hey Hugh Hugh get off McCloud.
An oldie but a goodie!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

You are hereby sentenced to death.

Hugh Hefner will be 81 in April 2007. Hmmmm.

[Edited by greymule on Feb 28th, 2006 at 03:18 PM]