LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Same old same old

Quote:
Originally posted by UMP25
Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yes, I do mind sharing what I have bought from +POS over the last 20 freakin' years, because I'm sure nobody cares (plus it's really nunya). Suffice to say I have been through 7 pairs of plate shoes, and 2 of them were from +POS. I have purchased numerous items of clothing, ranging from socks to hats, with everything in between. I'm not going to list every item. I probably have owned over a dozen of their 3/2/2 indicators (which they invented).

I once made a comment concerning the lack of quality in my old +POS BB201 Joe Brinkman CP (one of 3 +POS protectors I have owned, since you are keeping track). I pointed out that this protector didn't protect very well and that I knew what P.O.S. really stood for. I got blasted by many posters on the board for daring to say something bad about +POS. I wonder where those folks are now. They sure ain't rushing to my defense.
I'll join you, Steve, in making comments about +POS. As a Chicagoland resident, I'd love to say this Chicago area based company was great. They're not, and this is coming from someone who has known Buck and Sylvia Parsons for years (Sylvia, of course, having passed away not too long ago). When I worked in the northwest suburbs, I used to stop by there and have lunch with them, oftentimes with Joanie, too. Our Association at that time had a 20% discount program with them--not too shabby. We purchased 90% of our stuff from them for many years, myself since 1982.

Sadly, their customer service went to hell, their products' quality went south, and things changed, dramatically.

Truthfully, I don't give a rat's @ss if someone blasts me for criticizing +POS.

[Edited by Brad on Feb 21st, 2006 at 01:11 PM]
How the heck are they still in business and making money?
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

The same way a lot of American companies are still in business making money.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Would that be on the backs of empoverished children from third world countries?

Tim.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Uh, no. My statement was nonpolitical; rather, it had more to do with ignorant consumers buying poor quality items because they've been doing it for years when they don't bother to seek out possible alternatives.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have bought most of my gear from Honig's. I really like their service and quality of equipment. I recently purchased the pullover from +POS and like it alot. Have called 5 or 6 games with it so far this season. +POS sizes run smaller than Honig's in shirts and jackets.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'll add my experience with Plus POS.

Two years ago I wanted to give my son some new plate pants for Christmas. He like the Plus POS pant.

I called and place my order, (this was around the first of November.) I also added a few items, like ball bags and indicators.)

I asked the saleman directly: "Do you have these items in stock?"

He answered "Yes."

I asked, "When will they be shipped."

He answered, "As soon as I get off the phone."

Three weeks later, nothing has arrived, I call again. This time I'm told everything was shipped "yesterday."

Two weeks later, about two weeks before Christmas, I call again. This time I'm told the pants are out of and indeed were out of stock when I first ordered them.

I was told that they will be shipped around the end of January. I told the young man he was mistaken. "They won't be shipped, because I am cancelling the order."

I called Honigs, placed the order. Three days later, without any extra charge for shipping, the items arrived.

I find fault with Plus POS not just because I didn't get the items, but because I was lied to twice.

The only thing I've purchased from them since is my Zero Gravity mask and that was because they sent one to my association unsolicted for a trial. Since I had one in hand, I bought it.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Every company is going to have screw-ups from time to time. +POS, on the other hand, seems to make it the norm rather than the exception.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I have always dealt with Honigs, but +POS had the quilted jacket I wanted for the first couple of weeks in March. The jacket was on BO but they sent my plate shoes out, no problem. I have them, It has been three weeks, call +p, jacket will be in last week of Feb, receive first week of March. If I do not receive my jacket by mid-March, they can eat it.

Honigs did do a couple of things with my orders, belt broke, they sent me another, wrong shoes, no problem, lost order twice by shipping, replaced. Here is what I find to be the best.

Football-Honigs, best stuff, buy from no one else
Baseball, Gerry Davis, Honigs, Ump-attire
Basketball, Purchase Officials

I just had luck with those folks.

[Edited by irefky on Feb 26th, 2006 at 10:24 AM]
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it's official, I calle +POS this morning, jacket is still on back order. Not sure when I will receive it. He would not even give me a date.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cancel the back order and order one from Honig's. The K17's are the best.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

+Pos MLC2 vs Honig's K-17

I am a newly certified Umpire in Kentucky after bootleg umpiring for several years. I have invested a large amount of cash this winter in gear from almost all of the big suppliers. I originally bought the +POS MLC2 in navy with red stripes. It was delivered in less than two weeks from web order date. I wore it for the first time last Saturday in 40 degree weather with strong wind in the face. Worked and looked very nice. Has a pocket in the left chest for notebook and no side pockets. I just took delivery today of a Honig's K-17 in navy with sky blue stripes. The fabric is very soft and no pockets whatsoever. They are both size large and the +Pos is a little larger fit but not too noticeable. The Honig's seems to attract lint a little bit which means dust will also stick and collect. The +Pos wiped off cleanly after six innings of scrimmage behind the plate. No need to wash or anything but hang it back up. Obviously no sweat on the jacket due to weather and temperature.

I like them both but at this point the +Pos gets the nod as my favorite due to 1)chest pocket and 2) fabric used seems more durable.

I will say that I bought the Honig's due to +POS not having a navy MLC2 with light blue striping (they use black) and other umpires in my association have the Honig's and rave on and on about them. Some guys I expect to call with wear the light blue and wanted me to make sure I had one so we would match up on the cold Kentucky April nights.

Hope this helps anyone wanting a comparison. You really won't go wrong with either choice. Price is comparable and so far, +POS did not seem to be unusually slow or hard to deal with to me. Honig's is definitely faster on shipping though. Ordered Sunday 2/26/06. Delivered Thursday, 3/2/06
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: +Pos MLC2 vs Honig's K-17

Quote:
Originally posted by MajorDave
I will say that I bought the Honig's due to +POS not having a navy MLC2 with light blue striping (they use black) and other umpires in my association have the Honig's and rave on and on about them. Some guys I expect to call with wear the light blue and wanted me to make sure I had one so we would match up on the cold Kentucky April nights.
i never saw the point of the navy jacket with light blue over the shoulders. navy with red over the shoulders is what i think 99% of the world wears.

the reason +POS uses a black jacket with light blue over the shoulders is because that is the MLB style jacket.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Honig's K-17 Navy with Light Blue Stripes

Our local association has two official shirts-navy and powder blue. We also have two hats-both navy but with red lettering and red button. We also have powder blue lettering and powder blue button. Why, you ask? I don't know. I am the rookie. I am very serious about being a good umpire. I have coached in this area for a number of years and have decided to switch to umpiring for several reasons. The need for competent umpires with the physical ability to move and make calls for one along with the maturity to not toss everyone as soon as they make a comment or question a call.

Anyway, I want as many games as I can get. Game assignments are a little political- I have surmised and the phrase look like a duck, act like a duck, especially when you are the new guy, comes to mind. They mentioned I should get one and several of the guys wear them as optional gear. I want to fit in and they are already talking varsity and post-season assignments if I pass muster in the appearance and competence categories.

There you have it. We are the 1% of the world wearing the Honig's K-17 in navy with powder blue stripes.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: +Pos MLC2 vs Honig's K-17

Quote:
I am a newly certified Umpire in Kentucky after bootleg umpiring for several years. I have invested a large amount of cash this winter in gear from almost all of the big suppliers. I originally bought the +POS MLC2 in navy with red stripes. It was delivered in less than two weeks from web order date. I wore it for the first time last Saturday in 40 degree weather with strong wind in the face. Worked and looked very nice. Has a pocket in the left chest for notebook and no side pockets. I just took delivery today of a Honig's K-17 in navy with sky blue stripes. The fabric is very soft and no pockets whatsoever. They are both size large and the +Pos is a little larger fit but not too noticeable. The Honig's seems to attract lint a little bit which means dust will also stick and collect. The +Pos wiped off cleanly after six innings of scrimmage behind the plate. No need to wash or anything but hang it back up. Obviously no sweat on the jacket due to weather and temperature.

MajorDave, what region do you call in KY?

We are suppose to get the jacket from Ump-attire, KHSAA logo on the back collar.

I was just getting a thicker jacket for the cold days but +POS is a jack--- excuse for a supplier

How do they even pay their workers?

I like them both but at this point the +Pos gets the nod as my favorite due to 1)chest pocket and 2) fabric used seems more durable.

Hope this helps anyone wanting a comparison. You really won't go wrong with either choice. Price is comparable and so far, +POS did not seem to be unusually slow or hard to deal with to me. Honig's is definitely faster on shipping though. Ordered Sunday 2/26/06. Delivered Thursday, 3/2/06
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: Honig's K-17 Navy with Light Blue Stripes

Quote:
Our local association has two official shirts-navy and powder blue. We also have two hats-both navy but with red lettering and red button. We also have powder blue lettering and powder blue button. Why, you ask? I don't know. I am the rookie. I am very serious about being a good umpire. I have coached in this area for a number of years and have decided to switch to umpiring for several reasons. The need for competent umpires with the physical ability to move and make calls for one along with the maturity to not toss everyone as soon as they make a comment or question a call.

Anyway, I want as many games as I can get. Game assignments are a little political- I have surmised and the phrase look like a duck, act like a duck, especially when you are the new guy, comes to mind. They mentioned I should get one and several of the guys wear them as optional gear. I want to fit in and they are already talking varsity and post-season assignments if I pass muster in the appearance and competence categories.

There you have it. We are the 1% of the world wearing the Honig's K-17 in navy with powder blue stripes.
My last post message is hidden inside yours, sorry.

What region do you belong?