The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Quebec in Canada Brian. Most of the fields here are just to wet to play on until May. The competitive leagues start early May the recreational later in May.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

My first game is a BBI Tourney this Saturday morning (18th) at 10am.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
Varsity season starts February 20
here in Alabama.
Yep, Feb 20, 09:00 is my first game. Supposed to be cool with temp's in the 50's.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally posted by Peruvian
Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
Varsity season starts February 20
here in Alabama.
Yep, Feb 20, 09:00 is my first game. Supposed to be cool with temp's in the 50's.
9:00 AM ? Mine is a 10 o'clock start,
and I thought that was early.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
College has started already here in Oklahoma. High School started the 13th for scrimmages and regular season starts March 1.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: As mentioned above

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
If you mean the local high school season our schools play on March 13.

I would say that here in the Chicago area, our high schools and colleges are scheduled to begin around then, Tim, but cold, ice, and snow-covered fields usually preclude that from happening until April.

Seriously, though, as long as there is no snow or ice on the field, NCAA ball goes forward. My coldest game ever was only three years ago when I had a noncon D-III doubleheader (two 7-inning games). Game time temp was 31 degrees! Wind chills were in the lower teens, and it WAS windy.

The coaches demanded a ground rule that the 4-feet high frozen snow drifts--really ice drifts--that lined the perimeter of the park in foul terriroty were dead ball areas for the purposes of catching a foul ball. Fielders could lean on them but not run up and onto the mountains of ice and snow to catch balls.

It was a noncon game, so in the plate meeting before the first game of that brutally cold and windy day, I came right out and said, "All right guys. We'll be using a 10-run rule effective after regulation in each of these 7-inning games."

The home team's head coach looks at me then his counterpart and groans, "Aw, it's the first home game of the season for us. We'd like to get in a full game and..." My partner interrupts him with, "It's the first game of the season for us, too. We're here to work and have a bit of fun. We've driven all this way to do some ball games, so let's skip the 10-run rule."

Oh! Was I pissed! Now, I usually don't ***** when a 10-run rule is not used, but when it's either 110 or 15 outside, I say use it! I could have easily beaten my partner silly for being so stupid! And HE'S a guy who thinks his **** doesn't stink and who thinks he's God's greatest gift to umpiring.

BTW, the score of the first game was 17-1. It took well over 3 hours. The home team did win, though. Big deal. At the end of 4 1/2 innings, I looked at my little time piece and saw that we could have been done in just under 90 minutes at that point.

After we were done for the day, I shot my partner and left him to die in the frozen tundra. Serves him right.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Man
Fellow New Englanders:

It'll be 50 and raining by Friday. Are you new? Never abandon hope.

First CT college game I can find is March 4.

HS starts 4/6.

Beat that Canada. Oops, if TAC starts in March, Vancouver can't be too far behind.
In Ottawa Canada I am scheduled to work 6 games from April 7th-13th.