The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have 2 situations where I have called balks in the past and some people agree and others say that it may be technically a balk, but I should ignore it. I'm looking for some more opinions.

Sitch 1: Pitcher in windup with runners on. The step with his free foot is not straight back it is distictly to the side, toward first base. The pitcher delivers the pitch.

Sitch 2: Pitcher steps on the rubber with the ball in his glove before assuming Set position. He immediately and quickly takes the ball out or shuffles it from his glove to his pitching hand and proceeds to take signs with his hands apart.

I watched the Braves/Jays game last night and it appears that both of these actions occured with no call. Most pitchers step off to the side when in the windup, and I noticed Pedro Bourbon did what I described in sitch 2. It's hard to tell from TV if pitchers routinely do this because the camera usually doesn't pick up the pitcher until after he has taken his signs.

It's tough to learn when different respected umpires give differing views. Currently, I am not calling either of these balks (unless of course it would in some way deceive the runner).
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joemoore
I have 2 situations where I have called balks in the past and some people agree and others say that it may be technically a balk, but I should ignore it. I'm looking for some more opinions.

Sitch 1: Pitcher in windup with runners on. The step with his free foot is not straight back it is distictly to the side, toward first base. The pitcher delivers the pitch.

Sitch 2: Pitcher steps on the rubber with the ball in his glove before assuming Set position. He immediately and quickly takes the ball out or shuffles it from his glove to his pitching hand and proceeds to take signs with his hands apart.

I watched the Braves/Jays game last night and it appears that both of these actions occured with no call. Most pitchers step off to the side when in the windup, and I noticed Pedro Bourbon did what I described in sitch 2. It's hard to tell from TV if pitchers routinely do this because the camera usually doesn't pick up the pitcher until after he has taken his signs.

It's tough to learn when different respected umpires give differing views. Currently, I am not calling either of these balks (unless of course it would in some way deceive the runner).
Definitely ignore "sitch" 1.

Ignore "sitch" 2 if it's all part of "getting settled" on the rubber. If there's been any delay since getting on the rubber, then call the balk.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2001, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Your absolutely right about being able to learn when there are varing opinions however, there would be no forum if we all thought exactly the same. Thats what make officiating exicting. As Mr. Childress would say in his most recent book "51 Ways to ruin a Baseball Game" Rule 7 " Call a (highly) technical balk". Your last statement is probably the correct course of action. Very few people go to watch you officiate the game.