The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Sportsmanship

As an umpire it easy to deal with piss poor sportsmanship, however, I volunteered to manage my daughters 1st grade basketball team and have been shocked by the lack of sportsmanship and intensity (by the parents) for these little girls to achieve perfection!

My personality is eject them, however, now as a coach I have to deal with these people. Does anyone know of good website to download literature about youth sports and parents needing to behave? Thanks
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, I will pass the article outs to the parents. It's my opinion that some games are better with empty bleachers and I'm thankful I do not unpire little kids.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

You need to have a meeting with them and tell them:

1. There will be no abusive or even negative comments on the officiating.
2. There will be no negative comments allowed against a team member or an opponent, whether its their child or otherwise.
3. There will be no negative comments voiced about the coaching. If they have an issue, they need to take it up with you privately.

Essentially, all comments will be positive or there won't be any.

These people are acting like children themselves and as such, they need guidance. I suspect that if you lay down the law, that will take care of 90% of your issues. The other 10%, you'll just have to deal with (I'd advise removing them from the gym), but you'd have to deal with that anyway.

If they take their child off the team, in my view, that's a problem solved.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

It's two bad apples that mean well, the articles I can distribute to everyone, the next step would be private conversations about making happy memories for little kids instead of yelling at them to try harder.

Thanks
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 06:04pm
Veteran College Umpire

Hand those two bad apples a whistle and a striped shirt, and tell them it's your turn to yell for awhile...

JJ
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EMD
It's two bad apples that mean well, the articles I can distribute to everyone, the next step would be private conversations about making happy memories for little kids instead of yelling at them to try harder.

Thanks
The younger the kids, the worse the adults. If it's primarily just 2 adults, consider telling the worst one if he doesn't knock it off you'll bench his kid. Let the others know of your promise, and keep it. He'll get the message, and she'll still get to play after you follow through. Hopefully the other bad apple will get the message, too, without having to bench his kid.

Mike