The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Question "Oy" by a Blogger

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/...2009/07/21/oy/

I didn't see the play (I had gone to bed thinking that their lead was enough), and I have yet to find a good (wide) picture of the play to see the positioning, but this blogger, with the Star Tribune, seems to think the PU was out of position, and blew the call. Any one have some more info on this?
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 12:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I didn't dig far enough (damn work!)... Minnesota Twins vs. Oakland Athletics - Recap - July 20, 2009 - ESPN

This shows PU at about 1:30-2:30 (on a clock face). It looks like on the past ball he shifted towords 1B (3BLX) and then when the throw came he moved closer to the 1BL. That seems like strange positioning, I thought as the PU you should typically be on one of the BLXs, and then shift slightly as the play develops. Is there something here I am missing?
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

No doubt....he blew it

Yeah, I saw the slow-mo replay on ESPN last night. Runner was definitely there before the tag. It happens to the best of them. Whatcha gonna do? He just missed it. I'm sure he knows it now.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

My son and I saw the replay just once (at full speed), and both of us said "What's he doing!?". The PU was moving around the play, and was never set. It's one thing to see the play, and then move around to see the ball, but this wasn't the case.

I'd yell at a rookie if he did this. But these guys get a pass. Plus, it's only us umpires that notice these things.

So yeah, he was never in any position, and that caused him to miss the call. That said, I've probably done the same, and deseved to be yelled at for it.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Surprise is our worst enemy

The reason he missed this was because the runner started at 2b on the wild pitch. It doesn't look like PU anticipated him coming all around to score, and once the runner did, PU was out of position. The ball kicked off the catcher's 3rd base side shinguard (his left shinguard), so naturally the PU drifted towards the 1st base line (3BLX), his right.

I guess the best he could have done once he had his "oh ****" moment was bust his butt all the way around, through the 1st baseline, into fair ground, so he'd have his 90 degree angle of the play at the plate.

As it was, it looks like he was straighlined and blocked by the pitcher, which is why he had to lean around just to see the glove/ball.

Last edited by alex7; Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 03:17pm.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
My son and I saw the replay just once (at full speed), and both of us said "What's he doing!?". The PU was moving around the play, and was never set. It's one thing to see the play, and then move around to see the ball, but this wasn't the case.

I'd yell at a rookie if he did this. But these guys get a pass. Plus, it's only us umpires that notice these things.

So yeah, he was never in any position, and that caused him to miss the call. That said, I've probably done the same, and deseved to be yelled at for it.
Wow, you yell at rookies?
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
A Fan’s View Blog Archive Oy
Any one have some more info on this?
Twins choked a 10 run lead (12-2). This call might have hurt them, but they lost it by themselves.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Wow, you yell at rookies?
Oh yeah. Usually from the balcony of the facility, as it looks nearly straight down on two plates.

"You've got to beat that runner"

"You need to get inside!"

"You need a pillow out there?!"

"Put that indicator in your pocket!"

"It's okay if you drag the piano, just don't stop and play it on your way to third!"

It's a tradition at my park, and only my son and I are allowed to do it. It keeps things from getting too serious. We're usually barking at 12 year olds umpiring LL minor games. Now if one of our adults misses a rotation, we'll usuallly call out "From the begining!". We usually get them scratching something with their middle finger in return. There's a lot of comedy at the big park.

It's good to be the King.

(Oh yeah, when my son and I work the balcony is full of guys taking shots at us.)

Now before any of you get your McDavid's in a bunch, this is only done on the minors (training) field, and everyone is good with it.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Should have stayed at 3BLX & just stepped up. would have been the same view as a regular swipe tag play 'cause F1 sure isn't going to block the plate.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Oh yeah. Usually from the balcony of the facility, as it looks nearly straight down on two plates.

"You've got to beat that runner"

"You need to get inside!"

"You need a pillow out there?!"

"Put that indicator in your pocket!"

"It's okay if you drag the piano, just don't stop and play it on your way to third!"

It's a tradition at my park, and only my son and I are allowed to do it. It keeps things from getting too serious. We're usually barking at 12 year olds umpiring LL minor games. Now if one of our adults misses a rotation, we'll usuallly call out "From the begining!". We usually get them scratching something with their middle finger in return. There's a lot of comedy at the big park.

It's good to be the King.

(Oh yeah, when my son and I work the balcony is full of guys taking shots at us.)

Now before any of you get your McDavid's in a bunch, this is only done on the minors (training) field, and everyone is good with it.
I'm good with it too; I was just jabbin'.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Example used on ESPN for why we need replay in baseball for more than is being used for currently.