The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this the other day. All they left off are dingle-balls.

You might have to go to E-bay start page for the URL to work. But the giggles are worth the effort.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XL-Navy-Baseball...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

??

If I am not mistaken, I seem to remember this shirt being discussed before.... I believe it was designed by someone who posts on the ABUA website....

The designer/poster was hoping to make a better shirt. I remember posts asking for the dimensions of the different shirts already out there.... He was interested in making a shirt with longer sleeves and better collars...

I just don't get the stripes or the elastic gussets over the shoulders.....

Stan
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

That thing has been for sale for 4 days, and it still doesn't have a single bid. That says something about what the buying public thinks of it.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
One of our brothers in blue designed these. Personally, I really like the gray ones.

I think these look unique. The youth baseball umpiring assciation I belong to is considering using the gray shirts for all tournament play next summer.

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Dec 20th, 2005 at 02:07 PM]
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
One of our brothers in blue designed these. Personally, I really like the gray ones.

I think these look unique. The youth baseball umpiring assciation I belong to is considering using the gray shirts for all tournament play next summer.

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Dec 20th, 2005 at 02:07 PM]
Yuck times three
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 03:15pm

Tim (Big Ump, not the cynical one),

Isn't it true that Scott designed these shirts in conjunction with several minor league umpires? I seem to recall that they supplied input, and that they were unanamously in favor of these designs. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Steve
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

i think if you are going to have the shoulder stripes, you have to get rid of the collar/sleeve trim. it is just too much going on; too many areas with the same type of trim pattern.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Steve:

Yes, Scott had a number of minor league umpires look at this design before they were produced in quanity. He recieved their overwhelming approval before he made the investment.

Some people will be resistant to any kind of change. I'm just not that frumpy.

Tim.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 03:58pm

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
That thing has been for sale for 4 days, and it still doesn't have a single bid. That says something about what the buying public thinks of it.
Most of the people who are considering buying these shirts will be ordering directly from Scott, and not going through ebay.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Tim (Big Ump, not the cynical one),

Isn't it true that Scott designed these shirts in conjunction with several minor league umpires? I seem to recall that they supplied input, and that they were unanamously in favor of these designs. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Steve
Well, let's turn to Scott, the apparent designer, for the answer to that:

" I tweaked and massaged the design and now, after having the luck of having made the acquaintance of a fellow who is a AAA/MLB umpire, made his suggested changes!.... theAAA guy said he thought they were terrific."

Several? Doesn't sound like it to me. Doesn't sound like the "number" that Tim(the LL one, not the skinny one) spoke of either. Unless, of course, that number is "one". And, since the correct information is available at Tim's(the LL one, not the skinny one) site, you'd think he have gotten it right.

I won't argue that there might be a minor league umpire out there someplace who might be fond of garish shirts. There's still a couple who like the red shirts, too. So, as they say, there's no accounting for taste.

The designer is also quoted as saying: "The shoulder insert (look at the jackets that the MLB guys wear - with the shoulder inserts) is being put in the shirts. It is a VERY stylish look..."

No, it's not. It works for the pullovers, in part, because it is the ONLY trim on the garment. In that case, it isn't over done and it doesn't compete for attention with trim of a different size just inches away .

[Edited by GarthB on Dec 21st, 2005 at 01:31 AM]
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps I might reply and stop the madness

For those who need to argue the minutae - there was one AAA who also works the bigs; one former AAA who worked the bigs and is now in the far east and another who worked minor league ball had input. That is not including the questions I posed to umpire friends across North America. Would ALL these perhaps be called, 'several'? I believe so.
Like 'em or don't like 'em... is it important (really!) how many people I asked for input? I suppose to some it is. Sure in hell isn't to me. I have heard from lots who like/love them. Will everyone?... better chance of world peace than getting consensus on these. The shirts are NOT the same as the ones on Ebay. The two on Ebay were a prototype... The new ones will have a shoulder insert. If you like them, perhaps I'll be hearing from you.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
What shocks me is the time some folks take to throw rocks.
Best regards and Season's Greetings!
Scott
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: Perhaps I might reply and stop the madness

Quote:
Originally posted by heykid41
For those who need to argue the minutae - there was one AAA who also works the bigs; one former AAA who worked the bigs and is now in the far east and another who worked minor league ball had input. That is not including the questions I posed to umpire friends across North America. Would ALL these perhaps be called, 'several'? I believe so.
Like 'em or don't like 'em... is it important (really!) how many people I asked for input? I suppose to some it is. Sure in hell isn't to me. I have heard from lots who like/love them. Will everyone?... better chance of world peace than getting consensus on these. The shirts are NOT the same as the ones on Ebay. The two on Ebay were a prototype... The new ones will have a shoulder insert. If you like them, perhaps I'll be hearing from you.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
What shocks me is the time some folks take to throw rocks.
Best regards and Season's Greetings!
Scott
Don't take it so personally. If you're going to get into the design business you will deal with a lot of people who don't like your work. If you can't handle that, find another hobby.

Throwing rocks? It's called crticism. Are you sure you're an umpire?

I've had a lot criticism in my life. I've been a profesional musician, a police officer, a teacher and a marketing/advertising professional over the past 32 years. In each of those fields I've dealt with criticism, and not once did I accuse someone of throwing rocks. I learned from the criticism and made my product or service better.

Here's another criticism. If you really work with several umpires on a project, it's best to not say it was one when you reveal the project. If you do, it looks like you're changing your story, when you, well, change your story.

[Edited by GarthB on Dec 21st, 2005 at 12:17 AM]
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the depth of reply (complete with Curriculum Vitae). I'll mark you down as not liking the shirt on Ebay. The new ones resemble the ones on Ebay - but are different. Of course, it won't likely matter to those who have formed opinions, sight unseen. I have admitted not everyone will like them. We all like different things - hell, I once liked my ex-wife!
As my son says when concluding a conversation, "Peace."
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 01:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by heykid41
Thank you for the depth of reply (complete with Curriculum Vitae). I'll mark you down as not liking the shirt on Ebay. The new ones resemble the ones on Ebay - but are different. Of course, it won't likely matter to those who have formed opinions, sight unseen. I have admitted not everyone will like them. We all like different things - hell, I once liked my ex-wife!
As my son says when concluding a conversation, "Peace."
Add another umpire who thinks these shirt are fugly.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Well,

I will make the following observation:

I think some of you don't understand the amount of work that goes in to being creative.

Scott found that many, many umpires did not like the fit and pattern on shirts that are available. Scott had the guts to take on the topic, design and produce samples of a new style shirt.

It really doesn't matter if Scott had one or 10 people look at the samples and give their feelings -- at least he had the guts to try to fix something that many people have complained about.

As a "gear whore" I look at the shirt and understand the design. It really doesn't matter if I like it or not . . .

What does matter that Scott at least "tried" to correct something that he felt needed "fixin'" --

It isn't really important if some of you "like" the shirt or not. As a professional abstract expressionist I recognize that not every one likes my work (shoot, look at PWL's review of my column writing ability as stated in another thread) but I have found that there is still a market for what I do.

We can also see that a "model" can also affect how we view a new product.

Congratulations to Scott for having the drive to produce a new product. In a capitalistic system we will find if there is a market for his product.

Tee

[Edited by Tim C on Dec 21st, 2005 at 11:50 AM]