The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.11 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody out there has had any experiences with the Chest Protector made by Douglas

(http://www.douglaspads.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=6&idproduct=24)

I am considering buying it, and wonder if anybody has it and any comparison to the Wilson products.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:54am

I too have never owned one. I have heard from those who do that it is a very good protector. These guys are college umps, so I would trust their opinions on protection.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Disagree with thomas....

Thomas,
I have to disagree with you on this one.... The post asked for responses on the use of a Douglas chest protector....

For myself, I do not own a Douglas protector, using a +POS BB2000 and a Honigs K1... I did not respond because I dont have anything of value to offer the original poster....

Sometimes its good board manners to not respond to a thread you cant contribute to rather than hijack it by adding information not asked for.....

Thats just my $.02.

Stan
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Thomas, I suspect that if WWTB decides to reply to this thread that his response will be both additive and informational.

And while I don't use a Douglas, I know those who do and like them.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 10:14pm
Veteran College Umpire

I've never used a Douglas - I've used Wilson's West Vest knockoff very comfortably for several years now (got it at Gerry Davis).
Before you buy any of them, check them out - and that means try them on! Friends that have them are great resources. Heck, do like my mom used to do when we needed clothes - order a bunch of different styles from Montgomery Ward, try them all on, and only keep the ones that are the best fit, and send the rest back! Might cost you a few bucks shipping, but you'll have the hands-on advantage.

JJ
PS I bet you never knew Monkey Ward sold chest protectors
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Douglas makes some terrific hockey equipment. The original Douglas chest protector was really great until you needed an extra strap or when one of the pads came loose from the plastic. Having it fixed or getting someone on the phone was impossible. One of my partners had one and I used it a couple of times when he was trying to promote it. At the time I was using a +POS model and was thinking about changing. It was form fitting and super tough, but he kept complaining about the binding straps breaking.

I found the original West Vest to be better than the Douglas but it was so new and expensive that I passed. I ran into a buddy who was using the new Platinum model a few years ago. He was doing some late winter tune ups in Alabama and really liked it. I tried it and was hooked. (Famous last words, I know!) I've worn it since and have never regretted it. When it gets sweat filled you can easily remove and wash the pads. A spritz or two of Febreeze and the back of the vehicle smells like a spring meadow. As the years click by though, I am considering a lighter summer protector. I have seen a couple that are nice and will check them out when I see some of my friends from Dixie. Those guys sweat like we freeze. So I guess that's another positive for the Douglas, it'll keep you warm when there's frost on the ground.

Maybe Douglas has changed their policy, but I would still rather buy my gear from a company that makes it's bones on the sport we love. That said, when the kid in front of you forgets how to catch, that Douglas shell will come in handy. Like JJ said, try it on and as they say...assume the position.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have Douglas shoulder pads for hockey. They are very strong and have lasted over a decade. I don't plan to replace it though, my hockey playing days are behind me.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have Douglas shoulder pads for hockey. They are very strong and have lasted over a decade. I don't plan to replace it though, my hockey playing days are behind me.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a Douglas West Vest back in 94, I believe. It was before West moved to Wilson.

It is an excellent vest and when it needs anything I send it to Douglas. They replace whatever it needs, or, depending on my desires, completely recondition it. They do the same with my shinguards. I have never had a problem with Douglas customer service.

I tried the platinum and, for me, it was too bulky. (I think it had something to do with how the shoulder pads were positioned.)

I tried my son's West Vest Gold and bought one immediately. The Gold is now my number one chest protector and the Douglas is my back-up.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

I understand that. And I am telling you of my experience not only with their fine products but with the company, especially customer service. If that is of no interest to you, I apologize for wasting your time.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
I understand that. And I am telling you of my experience not only with their fine products but with the company, especially customer service. If that is of no interest to you, I apologize for wasting your time.
I apologize if that did not come off very well, I appreciate your advice. Sorry about that...
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Garth,
What are you responding to? Was something deleted?
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56

Thomas,

Is there a point you're trying to make by copying Windy and Steve's posts and posting them yourself?

If you have something to say, just say it will you please. Otherwise, you're just coming off like a scorned child throwing a tantrum.

Tim.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Quote:
Garth,
Was something deleted?
Yes.