The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

As much as I hate to see it, there have been a few columns written regarding MLB Umpires and the officiating in the post-season. Below is the link to yet another one...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5...813162&ATT=49#

If clicking on it or cutting and pasting doesn't work, you can get to it on the home page of http://www.umpire.org - the article is called "Blown-call cloud will hang over '05 postseason"
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

"Kevin Hench is the head writer for the Too Late with Adam Carolla show on Comedy Central."

...this speaks volumes...
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
As much as I hate to see it, there have been a few columns written regarding MLB Umpires and the officiating in the post-season. Below is the link to yet another one...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5...813162&ATT=49#

If clicking on it or cutting and pasting doesn't work, you can get to it on the home page of http://www.umpire.org - the article is called "Blown-call cloud will hang over '05 postseason"
Those are easy cheap shots. Replay works in other sports because, as we all know, when the controversial play is over the ball is dead. We all know that with respect to baseball this often is not the case. As has been said by others the rule book would have to be rewritten. It will be a sad day if replay is introduced in MLB. JMHO
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Gordon-
As a fellow Cubs fan, I'll cut you some slack (Lord knows we need it!), but I want to ride the contrary train for a while. A few years ago, I proposed that we do whatever it takes to get the call right. I was nearly lynched for suggesting that an umpire's judgement could be questioned. I added that moves were afoot in MLB and NCAA to allow crew mates to get together (later known as conferencing). Lo and behold, they happened and baseball at both levels has had success with this new mechanic.

We find rule book revisions in Hockey, Football, Basketball and Horse Racing that deal with instant replay. Baseball will benefit from certain calls being aided by this technology. Should all calls be subject to this scrutiny? You know that I don't believe that to be necessary. The NFL has it right - only certain plays are reviewable and the added time is negligible when you consider the importance of the call. Remember the Yankee fan homerun interference call? How about all of the second guessing this year? The demand for perfection is inching upwards. Accountability is the name of the game - for Godsakes, we had an umpire press conference to explain a call. That wouldn't even have been considered ten years ago!

I would not like my calls to be questioned. However, MLB umpire crews are full time and make an awfully nice salary. Most executives that pull in that kind of coin are subject to incredible stress and scrutiny. Their judgements are questioned all of the time. Umpires are special, but so is the game. The time will come when we will see replay in baseball. I don't particularly care for it, but the first time that the Cubs get the benefit of the call, I'll be smilinging. Remember Lofton's catch that was ruled "no catch" against the Marlins? Wait until next year!
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
"Kevin Hench is the head writer for the Too Late with Adam Carolla show on Comedy Central."

...this speaks volumes...
worst show ive ever seen in my life. they had a studio audience for like the first two episodes, and i think everyone realized it was horrible so now it is just adam, a guest, and the crew.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Gordon-
As a fellow Cubs fan, I'll cut you some slack (Lord knows we need it!), but I want to ride the contrary train for a while. A few years ago, I proposed that we do whatever it takes to get the call right. I was nearly lynched for suggesting that an umpire's judgement could be questioned. I added that moves were afoot in MLB and NCAA to allow crew mates to get together (later known as conferencing). Lo and behold, they happened and baseball at both levels has had success with this new mechanic.

We find rule book revisions in Hockey, Football, Basketball and Horse Racing that deal with instant replay. Baseball will benefit from certain calls being aided by this technology. Should all calls be subject to this scrutiny? You know that I don't believe that to be necessary. The NFL has it right - only certain plays are reviewable and the added time is negligible when you consider the importance of the call. Remember the Yankee fan homerun interference call? How about all of the second guessing this year? The demand for perfection is inching upwards. Accountability is the name of the game - for Godsakes, we had an umpire press conference to explain a call. That wouldn't even have been considered ten years ago!

I would not like my calls to be questioned. However, MLB umpire crews are full time and make an awfully nice salary. Most executives that pull in that kind of coin are subject to incredible stress and scrutiny. Their judgements are questioned all of the time. Umpires are special, but so is the game. The time will come when we will see replay in baseball. I don't particularly care for it, but the first time that the Cubs get the benefit of the call, I'll be smilinging. Remember Lofton's catch that was ruled "no catch" against the Marlins? Wait until next year!

who says replay works in 'other' sports?? Have you even TRIED to watch the NFL since replay was introduced? THIS is what has happened in the NFL: it has made (outside of few crews/R's)NFL officals THE most tentative, hesitant, SCARED officials in pro sports..not to mention adding a good half hour/45 mintutes to each and every game. NFL officials USED to be at least the equal of MLB umps as far as decisiveness is concerned....NOW you see more and more hesitant calls..more and more looking over the shoulder..TERRIBLE ball placement;and even WITH replay,they STILL can't get it right-there have been several examples this year alone of botched replay calls. Actually one shouldn't blame the NFL guys, but the current system that the league uses....the NFL has literally made their rule book SO complicated, that it is now almost IMPOSSIBLE for their officials to do a proper job.

One thing that people say is that only 'important' calls would be reviewed...well...in baseball..thats almost EVERY pitch! You could potentially 'review' almost every borderline pitch...every banger at first...how about all those DPs where it COULD be reviewed to see if 2B touched the bag? You literally could on forever with it.....and flush the game right down the toilet in the process!

As Thomas Boswell once put it, MLB umps are THE best officials in sports..bar NONE, so when they DO botch one, it is instant history,as opposed to the NFL,where it happens each and every week....

Replay is fine where you don't expect very much from your officials in the first place....
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

gordon pretty much nailed why MLB doesn't have instant replay.

the only play i can think of where you can use instant replay and wouldn't affect the course of the play would be fair/foul on a home run or plays where there is nobody on base and there is a play on the BR.