The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

R1 stealing. F6 sets up to take the throw from F2 straddling the bag with his left foot blocking the base. R1 slides and would have beat the tag, but he slides right into F6's leg and never gets to the base and is tagged out.

Anything wrong with this play?

Conversely, what if F3 blocks the base at first when receiving the throw on a pickoff?

Are any of these different than when a catcher blocks the plate on a play at home?

A couple of these plays came up this year (luckily none were my call) and i'm not too sure of the exact ruling to be consistant with my calls.

Please also mention how obstruction comes into play in these scenarios.

Thanks a bunch!

bossman72
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72
R1 stealing. F6 sets up to take the throw from F2 straddling the bag with his left foot blocking the base. R1 slides and would have beat the tag, but he slides right into F6's leg and never gets to the base and is tagged out.

Conversely, what if F3 blocks the base at first when receiving the throw on a pickoff?

Are any of these different than when a catcher blocks the plate on a play at home?

A couple of these plays came up this year (luckily none were my call) and i'm not too sure of the exact ruling to be consistant with my calls.

Thanks a bunch!

bossman72
It depends on which rules. In NCAA you can not block a base without the ball. In FED and OBR you can not block a base unless "in the act of fielding the ball". The minor league guideline at the plate is that the ball should be inside the skin of the infield, normaly about 13 feet. I have never seen a guideline on bases, but 13 feet seems reasonable to me since it could apply at the plate.

If this is other than NCAA where F6 must have the ball to block 2b, then it is your judgement as to whether a play is imminent (in the act of fielding the ball).

2b and 1b are the same, as are any of the other 2 bases for purposes of this discussion.

The benefit of any doubt should go to the runner.

See BRD for good discussion on the subject.

[Edited by DG on Oct 27th, 2005 at 10:41 PM]
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72

Thanks a bunch!

bossman72
If you're using OBR rules, it's not obsturction by F6 or F3 since the fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. 2.00 obstruction. Roder defines trying to field a ball as, among other things, a fielder "positioning himself for the purpose of trying to glove a rapidly approaching ball."

FED is the same. CB 8.3.2c.

In NCAA, both F6 and F3 are guilty of obstruction since they blocked the base "clearly without possession of the ball." 2-Obstruction A.R.

All of this is covered in the BRD, Section 337. You get the BRD here: http://shop.officiating.com/x/product/brd2005