The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 01, 2001, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Has anyone out there ever had a game be protested because of the mound not conforming to the heght or slope rules? If so, what were the circumstances and what happened?
Old Tue May 01, 2001, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

BW,
You haven't mentioned what level ball....

In FED and NCAA if the Visiting Manager agrees to start the game after the ground rules are discussed too bad for him....

Will
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 06:35am
Michael Taylor

Ut's the same inLL' Once you start life is tough.
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wink mounds

To be honest, I really didn't care what level it was because it isn't germane to the question. I know the managers can agree to play on an airport runway if they choose. What I wanted to know was, had anyone ever officiated at a game where one of the managers didn't agree and played the game under protest.

The NFHS Rulebook, Rule 1, section 4 article 2 says ”Any game started on a nonregulation facility by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches shall not be protested for this reason".

That implies to me that something on a nonregulation field is recognized as an item that can be protested as long as is not something that's a judgement call, and all I was trying to find out is if anyone had ever heard of that being done.

As I said, I was referring to any case where the height of the mound or its slope was the question. Those things are absolute and can be easily measured with a minimum of effort.

I was wondering if the protest would be properly noted and the game played with the decision being made about the protest after the mound was measured with the proper equipment.

Please don't get the impression I'm shooting at umps, quite the contrary. I'd like to know why the people in charge of field don't do a better job with mounds before the umpire even becomes involved.
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Buck,
I've never heard of this situation actually becoming an issue before, but here's something that happened to me earlier this college season...

Snowbird team down here in Bama trying to get some games out of the snow...bad weather the week before. At the plate meeting the Visiting Mgr mentioned that his bullpen for some reason was in terrible shape and that his guys couldn't warm up properly. I suggested they either warm up in the other pen or his pitcher could get 11 pitches to warm up....the Home Mgr agreed to either of these choices, the Visitor chose to take the extra warm ups on the mound. Remember that that umpire can suggest his own ground rules to compensate for an improper field.

May not work for you, but it did for me.

Will