The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my question. Did the ALCS Crew do a bad job or is this a case (I know it's happened to everyone at one time)of the players making seemingly bonehead plays make the umpires look bad. Or perhaps someone in Chicago made a pact with The Devil. Hey Halloween right around the corner!!!! LOL
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Here's my question. Did the ALCS Crew do a bad job or is this a case (I know it's happened to everyone at one time)of the players making seemingly bonehead plays make the umpires look bad. Or perhaps someone in Chicago made a pact with The Devil. Hey Halloween right around the corner!!!! LOL
I posted in another thread, (not the right one, but there are so many of these this week, I just hit one) that the ALCS crew had a bad series, just like the Angels and Cardinals. Every year, at least one of the best teams in baseball melts down in the playoffs, and makes you wonder how they beat the Rays or the Rockies.

Normally it doesn't happen to the umpire crews, but this year it did. They are human, and for whatever reason, they flat out didn't show up, just like the Angels. Usually one guy makes one call in one game. It gets talked about and nothing else happens. This year it seemed like the whole crew got distracted by the Edding call in game 2. It happens sometimes.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I am not sure it is fair for us to say that ALCS crew did not "show up" for this series. You had the Eddings call and then call in Game 5 that was corrected. Ok, we are at two calls now for the entire series.

They played five games in which over 41 innings of baseball was played. I know I did not get to see one single of the series and for that matter of the playoffs to this point.

However, to say based on two calls of entire series that umpires did not "show up" for the series, I am not sure is a fair statement for us to make.

Do umpires have bad games? Yes. Do umpires have bad series? Yes. Do umpires have bad years? Yes. None of us as umpires are perfect no matter how hard we try to be, we are not nor will we ever be perfect.

These umpires are the best umpires in the country and they are good at what they do. However, you also have to consider the plays that happened in the series to spark all of the debate.

If you were there as one of the umpires of the ALCS crew, what would you have done differently? You never know what you will actually do or say until you are in the exact same situation.

Just my thoughts and opinion.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
I based my opinion on the fact that normally, a MLB championship series may have one umpire make one call in one game that is either incorrect, or in Joe West's case on the running lane call, controversial, but correct.

In all honesty, I would have probably screwed up a whole lot more than they did on tough calls with 50,000 fans watching. That is not the point, because I wasn't there and never will be. They are the best and have to deal with scrutiny that comes with being on display to the masses. Will one of my crews screw up a big tournament final one day. Maybe...probably is more fair of a statement. Will we handle it correctly. Impossible to say until it happens.

I tried to say, these guys are still some of the best at what they do, but had a bad series.

Just like the Angels are still one of the best teams in baseball. But if you only watch that series, there can be an argument that the Angels are horrible, because they did not show up to play. They couldn't hit, pitch, or play defense. Sounds like the Rays to me.

The umpires problems all happened after the Eddings call, and the ensuing press conference that IMO did more harm than good.

The issues happened to different umpires in different games. There were four that I recall that stand out. These are the one's that I saw. I did not see the entire series. Eddings' mechanics (Can't complain about the call because that's 50-50 at best), the missed catcher interference, the pickoff play in same game that didn't appear close, and the horrible timing on the glove tag.

On the glove tag, the fielder knew he was wrong and immediately tried to toss the ball to F3 but U1 was calling it long before the play ended. That type of quick call was bashed early and often earlier this summer when a set of not so stellar volunteer crews took the spotlight.

Kudos to the guy who denied the phantom play at second, however. If that had been an out, who knows how much more crap the crew would have taken. You have to touch the base at some point on that play.

Again, these guys are some of the best, just like the Angels. I feel it is just as fair of a statement to say they didn't show up, like the Angels didn't show up. They are human and it happens. Because of the spotlight, it is tough to defend their performance. I'm not bashing their skills and abilities, just their performance in this particular series. It was bad.

There are always one or two ball clubs that don't show up for the playoffs (My Braves consistently come to mind). However, it is rare that an entire series has so many misses, or controversies by the entire umpire crew. I have never seen it before this year.