The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Question

How do you feel about your local association?

a) Is the proper training being provided on rules, mechanics and current interpretations?

b) Is information disseminated accurately and in a timely manner?

c) Are meetings held in a proper setting, and conducted according to established rules?

d) Misc. comments or concerns?
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by Rog

a) Is the proper training being provided on rules, mechanics and current interpretations?

c) Are meetings held in a proper setting, and conducted according to established rules?

Great question Rog. But, are you writing a book? I only belong to one association right now doing summer ball. I did belong to my high school group for seven years from 1993-2000. I did Varsity for the last three seasons. The high school association had a pretty good interpreter and meeting attendance was required. I found that other than specific meeting(s) to go over the FED rule changes, regular meetings of which there were about seven (five required) were simply "bitch sessions" in which JV and JHS umpires would complain about the ratings system (coach driven) and the lack of advancement. Grizzly Veterans would chime in from time to time but many would know they had a good thing going and many might have known or suspected that a good proportion of lower officials could take there place in a heartbeat. One controversial requirement was "uniform inspection". You had to be checked off at at least one meeting. One meeting I fortunately missed was a heated exchange when an "inspector" wore base shoes that had a white stripe along the side.

No on-field evaluations of umpires were done and no clinics required. One good rule was mandatory mechanics clinic for rookies and second year guys. The rules were disseminated fairly well but in a coach-driven system were not uniformly enforced according to FED guidelines. This was especially true as pertains to the balk calls. Ejections were extremely rare.

The other group I belong to has bi-weekly meetings at a local bar/restaurant. Attendance is optional and there is no newsletter. Meetings are mixed but healthy question and answer sessions are commonplace. A good number of guys arrive early or stay late and talk plays over a couple of beers.

In my opinion there is much room for improvement but I understand the problem an assignor has especially in this day and age when it seems more and more difficult to get umpires. I have suggested a website and personal e-mails would improve our communications and finished product. Jim Simms/NY
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Jim,
I like that thought on email and a web site for an association. Two of the associations I'm in are doing more and more with email and I'd expect that within another couple of years, we'll have a web site. I know of several sites that local associations have and think that some are pretty good.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Good beer guzzling topic... but I would "wonder" about any persons here who would respond by ripping their own associations. But of course, no one would do THAT!

Another question to the list would be.. Do you need to belong to MULTIPLE associations to get different types of ball? Seems most places have separate asssociations for High School, Summer Kid ball, Adult, etc.

In the Frozen Tundra (Seattle) the association covers all baseball, (see above), so I only need to be in one Association. And when I get hungry for a cheeseburger, diet coke, and some MILF sightings... I do a volunteer LL game.

Training is a tough issue. Way back when I had first year training is was long and intense. But we (how about others) are caught by shortage of umpires and applicants. It's bad enough we need to scour work release programs to FIND new warm bodies... if you insist on a too long and too intense training regimen... you lose them.

(note): For those readers "humor challenged", please be advised that the above note contains mirth and mild hilarity. Thus, my Assoc does not actually take new applicants from Work Release.

Mike Branch
EWS

Old Sat Feb 17, 2001, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Umpire crews

Hey, Moose - I've heard that your association uses a four man crew. If this is true, please explain why they are wearing the leg chains.....
Also, I found a recent picture of you in a newspaper article, but I don't know how to post a .jpg into these posts! If you know advise me and I'll put it up for you to see.
Regarding the questions in my original post, it seems there are so many associations nationwide, and so many ways of doing things that this format might help in the exchange of ideas in improving local associations. Whatever works!
Personal, I belong to four association. Fortunately, only one is a sham. I'm afraid it may not be too long before it goes into extinction at the rate members are leaving. The other three associations do the best they can given current membership involvement.

Quote:
Originally posted by BJ Moose
Good beer guzzling topic... but I would "wonder" about any persons here who would respond by ripping their own associations. But of course, no one would do THAT!

Another question to the list would be.. Do you need to belong to MULTIPLE associations to get different types of ball? Seems most places have separate asssociations for High School, Summer Kid ball, Adult, etc.

In the Frozen Tundra (Seattle) the association covers all baseball, (see above), so I only need to be in one Association. And when I get hungry for a cheeseburger, diet coke, and some MILF sightings... I do a volunteer LL game.

Training is a tough issue. Way back when I had first year training is was long and intense. But we (how about others) are caught by shortage of umpires and applicants. It's bad enough we need to scour work release programs to FIND new warm bodies... if you insist on a too long and too intense training regimen... you lose them.

(note): For those readers "humor challenged", please be advised that the above note contains mirth and mild hilarity. Thus, my Assoc does not actually take new applicants from Work Release.

Mike Branch
EWS

Old Mon Feb 26, 2001, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BenGilli
re:

I am currently in my second year with an association, although have been umpiring local leagues that do not have a contract with any association, for years. I love my local association, Are meetings are weekly in the months before the high school season starts, and when the summer leagues kick in we move to bi-weekly meetings. These are all held at a local American Legion hall. I really like the format of the meetings as well. We have our rules interpretor speak, in an open forum type atmosphere. Also when the local high schools are in the gym for pre-season work, we go in and work on our mechanics, which definatly helps. Meetings are pretty much manditory, meaning that if you do not attend offten, your assignment will reflec that. I am definately happy with the association that I picked to join.

Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Umpire Associations

I'd like to re-open this can of worms, as there are evidently more members to these forums now:

Please see question in original post & reply appropriately.

Thanks.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Re: Umpire Associations

Quote:
Originally posted by umpandy
I'd like to re-open this can of worms, as there are evidently more members to these forums now:

Please see question in original post & reply appropriately.

Thanks.

Andy,

I looked at the top of the baseball forum page, and I didn't see you listed next to Bob and Mick as a new moderator.

I find it interesting that a guy that's been a member of this forum for a whole two weeks, can speak about what is an "approprate" response.

Hmmmmm...

Tim.

Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Golly Gee,

"Please see question in original post & reply appropriately."

Some you guys are so funny!
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

You guys have too much time...

"Please see question in original post & respond appropriately."

What does that mean to you?

To me, that means respond 'appropriately' or 'accordingly' to each question.

DEFINITION:

Appropriately: Suitable for a particular person, condition, occasion, or place; fitting.

It's a BLACK & WHITE question... nothing more, nothing less. No gray. I thought I made the question fool proof (apparantly not).
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

you are missing the point of tim and big's posts.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Which was?

They didn't read the question correctly. They thought by APPROPRIATE that I meant in line with forum rules.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
O.K Andy....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog

How's this Andy,

a) Yes

b) Yes

c) Yes

d) Rog- I recommend that if your association does not already have a printed set of by-laws, you make the suggestion that they have an appropriate set drafted.

Where in your post do you ask a question Mr. Andy? I only see a directive issued by a forum newbie who has no clue as to what is appropriate on this forum.

You certainly are a hypocrite. You never chimed in and tried to answer Rog's question. If you feel so strongly about how others respond, why dont you follow your own dictatorial statement and just answer the mans question.

I suspect you won't because you have little, if anything, of value to add.

Feel better now Andy?

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Oct 16th, 2005 at 03:48 PM]
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Much Better

Thanks, pal.

Oh, and I might add that I wanted to get the same information that "Rog" did when he originally posted his question four years ago. Why? We're starting an association locally. I do admit that I did not word my question as a question, nor did it come out in the way I intended it to, however your lengthy responses are greatly appreciated!

[Edited by umpandy on Oct 16th, 2005 at 05:05 PM]
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

My only gripe about my assoc is that they have ZERO training for new guys like myself. I kinda had to learn "on the fly." Lucky thing i found these umpire boards or i would have messed up a bunch of calls and mechanics.