The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Hi everybody... I have a couple of questions that maybe you all can help me with.

1) I'm 46 and just now breaking into umpiring. I've coached and played for many years, but my body (and family)is finally telling me to find a less physically stressful way to enjoy a sport that I love. Over the next 15-20 years, to what level of ball can I reasonably aspire to reach... assuming that I am a reasonably good umpire?

2) Is umpiring an art or a science? What I mean is, can I be a great umpire by working hard, studying, going to clinics and schools etc ... or is there a natural talent component that I may or may not possess?

3) Right now, I'm working high school softball, and will work baseball in the spring. I'm considering going to Jim Evans 5 day school over christmas break this year. Assuming that I do well in school, will that get me in the door for collegiate and/or semi-pro level games? I live in NW Missouri and am pretty close to a number of division II (MIAA) and juco schools, as well as the Northern independant semi-pro league.

That's good for a start... hope you all can help. Thanks.

kcs

Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

my thoughts

My thoughts on your questions......

Question 1: I guess it depends on your area, but at 46, you would still be in the younger group of umpires in my HS chapter which lists umpires well in their 70's as active on the roster. So its not too late to begin....

I would caution you on thinking that Umpiring is not as stressful on your body as coaching. Although it is not marathon running, it is also not a 2 hour stroll in the park....you do not sit, you run, squat, and sweat...and in the case of the plate umpire you do hundreds of deep knee bends all while wearing 20+ pounds of gear....Umpiring has a phyisically demanding requirement......

15-20 years of umpiring is a long time and I have seen new umpires go from youth to HS to college ball in a short time (3-4 years)..........but I've also seen umpires stall at low levels forever.... this is an issue of how hard you work, how committed you are and some breaks along the way.....so its hard to determine...

Question 2: Umpiring to me is both art and science.......you can be a technically excellent umpire with exceptional rules knowledge but lack the temprament to umpire...

The science part can be learned with study...rules knowledge and mechanics are learnable..

The art part can be learned as well, the best way is to mentor up with an umpire you respect...The art is a big part of it...the look, the bearing, the timing, the game management, so important...

The last part cant be learned and thats the makeup....not everyone is suited to be an umpire. Call it temprament or attitude......or whatever...not everyone has it...Ive seen good guys leave over not being able to handle being the Umpire.....this is the only thing I can say you cant learn....you either have it or not and it counts as not having it can make your life miserable.

Question 3; Im going to beg off a bit.......its depends on your area, your ability, your situation, the breaks, and your availability..........In my area, Id say you would need a good few years in HS ball to get to that level........but good news is you got that time....

Best of luck to you.....

Stan
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kcs_hiker
Hi everybody... I have a couple of questions that maybe you all can help me with.

1) I'm 46 and just now breaking into umpiring. I've coached and played for many years, but my body (and family)is finally telling me to find a less physically stressful way to enjoy a sport that I love. Over the next 15-20 years, to what level of ball can I reasonably aspire to reach... assuming that I am a reasonably good umpire?

Youe experience will certainly help you in getting in position to make the right call assuming the play unfolds the way it should. However as we all know we can't make that assumption so you have to be ready for any eventuality. Being "ready" only comes to you after doing hundreds of games and even after that someting will happen that you've never seen before.

2) Is umpiring an art or a science? What I mean is, can I be a great umpire by working hard, studying, going to clinics and schools etc ... or is there a natural talent component that I may or may not possess?

I think it's an "art" The great umpire has a natural feel for the game and is a "people person". I think instictively the great umpire Has a look, attitude whatever you want to call it that the players and coaches respond to. That being said over time and doing many games at various levels and dealing with good guys and a**holes you can develope "art" to your fullest potential. If it was just hard work and rules knowledge than anyone could get to the "show".

3) Right now, I'm working high school softball, and will work baseball in the spring. I'm considering going to Jim Evans 5 day school over christmas break this year. Assuming that I do well in school, will that get me in the door for collegiate and/or semi-pro level games? I live in NW Missouri and am pretty close to a number of division II (MIAA) and juco schools, as well as the Northern independant semi-pro league.

No. Going to a five day clinic is a great start. It's similar to a student graduating from Med. School. He/she's a Doctor but can he/she perform open heart surgery? Most associations would start you out doing Freshman and Sophmore games after a couple of years you might get a few non-conference varsity games and after doing 4 or 5 years of High School Varsity you could move up to JUCO and after a couple of years at that level you might be ready DII or DIII.

My advice would be to do as many games as possible regardless of the level. You need to experienc all of the goofy things that can happen. You need to make mistakes (trust me you will) and to learn from them and you need to develope your people skills. Good luck.

kcs

Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Ditto about working as many games as you can. It's one thing to read a rule in the book, quite another to see it unfold on the field and to be able to react accordingly and apply the correct ruling. That's how you develop the instincts to call games.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
I live in Topeka, KS and I'll tell you from experience that in this area, it's all who you know. If you know the commissioners and they think you can handle it, they will give you the games.

I think you are taking the right approach by going to clinic's and learning as much as you can. Umpiring is similar to coaching or playing, for that matter, in the aspect that you should never stop learning. Every time you take the field, you should be learning.

As far as what makes a good umpire, in my opinion, there are several parts. 1. Look the part 2. Know your rules 3. Know your mechanics (be in the right position) 4. Hustle 5. Be approachable. 6. Umpire with good common sense (know the level of ability and age of the level you are calling) These things will assist you in being a good umpire.

The last part is something, I believe, that you either have or don't have and that is GOOD JUDGEMENT. You may be able to use some of the above mentioned to assist in this part, but the right or wrong call will always come down to good judgement.

I have been umpiring HS baseball for 7 years in Kansas the last 3 receiving enough recomendations to obtain State tournaments, I work state tournaments in American Legion baseball and I call NAIA and Jr College games all the time, but the commissioner of the MIAA will not even look at me for his league.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kcs_hiker

i wouldnt say that umpirig is a non-physically stressful activity. it can be easier on you than playing, but its not a walk in the park if you want to work hard. doing real ball, if your partner goes out from A position and you have to pick up the runner and take him into 2nd, its like you are running out a double (almost) while wearing gear. you cant just take it easy and hope theres no play, because then there will be a play and you will get caught off guard. if you want to get to the higher levels and into college, its going to take a lot of hustle among other things.

Quote:
i think there is some natural talent to it, but it also takes a good bit of work for everyone to get good at it. i believe that playing while in college has helped me be a better umpire. i am familiar with the pace of college games, what can happen, etc. i work college ball in western PA and im 21. i got a pretty good break, but it also took some proving that i am worth it, but i did well and my work paid off. studying the rules, thinking about situations, etc all pay off in the end, and getting game experience puts it all together. working on all aspects of the game, from rules to positions to game management and beyond can do nothing but good for you (assuming you study from good sources).

Quote:

kcs
i cant speak from experience as i havent gone to this clinic or either of the pro schools, but jimmy is an incredible baseball mind and knows his things. from what i have read, it is a very good camp and can help anyone out. of course its not like the big long pro-school camp, but in 5 days with that staff you can pick up some pretty good things. however, i dont think thats really a gateway into college/semi-pro games. its a good thing to go to, and it could help in the process of getting into those levels, but its not directly tied to getting in those doors (as far as i know, i could be wrong though). getting into college level ball takes time and experience, or in some cases who you know. some people get in by knowing people and are good umpires, some get in and are smittys. just work hard and try to do as much good work as possible and get yourself in that door. i was fortunate to have a little of a break to get myself in there, but i worked hard to get there and i continue to work each and every time i am out there.

hopefully you see some good tips out of this thread and take off running with them. good luck with everything and have some good games
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

thanks guys for the great comments and encouragement!!

Has anybody been to Jim Evan's Christmas break clinic? I'm thinking of trying to take my family... my kids would love it.

Kraine27, I know what you mean when you say it's who you know... fortunately the head of our local association does work many of the MIAA games around here.. hopefully, I can get his recommendation (assuming of course that I do a decent job).

Thanks again for your encouragement.

kcs